Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: January camping help

January camping help

Hi All

I have decided to test myself and my kit and do a bit if winter camping.

Now this is not winter camping in Norway or the Cairngorms it is a few days in balmy Cornwall

I have done plenty of camping over the years but it has mainly been with others and been on camp sites or at different events and festivals etc so solo wild camping in winter even in Cornwall may well present some new challenges.

I want to test both myself and my bug out bag to 72 hours+ completely self contained. I also want to suppliment what I take, with what I can catch and forage. I am going to stick to the coast as that is what I know best and the weather is likely to be milder as along as I can find shelter.

The details of the excercise are open at the moment so please do wade in with suggestions etc

I will post my equipment as and when I aquire it but I will need guidance so feel free to make suggestions and critisims as I will need help with this.

So if you was going to spend 72 hours in a Cornish winter and be self suffient what would you take?
    aman

Suncream........
    Utringue Paratus

Northern Soul Bushcraft.......

Moderator & Poshcrafter™ Martin's Avatar
    Tide tables would be handy.

Martin
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.

Banned
    A little radio. I do like to have a little radio.

Powdered mash & Mars bars
    Paul

• You’ll never be lost if you remember that moss always grows on the north side of your compass.
    • While the Swiss Army Knife has been popular for years, the Swiss Navy Knife has remained largely unheard of. Its single blade functions as a tiny canoe paddle.

My YOUTUBE Channel
    My INSTAGRAM: paul_r1chards
    Leave no trace

Bucket n spade with a little Cornish flag to put on top of the castle
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Celti...517813?fref=ts
    To grow to be old and wise, you first have to be young and foolish
    I have everything I need - it's just the want's that are missing .

Alone in the Wilderness
    72 hours camping with kit isn't really too much of a problem, you just end up carrying a lot of food. Water will be the issue, as it is very heavy trying to carry enough for three days. Facilities to purify water is an essential part of my 72 hour kit. And toilet paper, don't forget the toilet paper.

Ant

Make sure you take a camera and do a bit of a video or picture diary.

Pen & Paper to write down things you wished you had brought and things that were a waste of time carrying.

You and us will learn more about bugging out for 72hrs with that than anything.

I expect you will be taking the obvious brew kit, shelter etc. so its not worth going through all that lot.

A water filter is handy and lots of porridge oats.

TC
    Remember LNT

what yoy take will depend on the terrain really,woods,hills,coast. easy hunting will be handy,if you have permission ducks are the easiest meat to find.
    www.jacksshed.co.uk A country living forum to compliment your bushcraft way of life.

If you are planning on taking sharp things, a first aid kit. Doesn't need to be massive, just some essentials. You know gauze, antiseptic cream, alcohol hand gel (can use it to start fires too), couple of trauma bandages for severe bleeding, slack handful of plasters.

5 to 10 m of gaffer tape wrapped around a suitable substitute for the roll. Can be used to make wound closures, can fashion improvised splints, even use instead of a plaster cast. Repair rucksacks, boots, water bottles, punctured therma rests 1001 uses - and it burns even when wet.

Couple of snap lights and a bit of string. Can be used to signal for help in the dark. A scrap of luminous green cloth might help to highlight your position if you need rescue.

Ziploc plastic bags, to keep your essentials dry.

Dry clothes to sleep in. Cornwall maybe tropical but you can still go down with hypothermia when its 10C
    [