Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: SAS Survival guide on i-phone.

Quote Originally Posted by JonnyP View Post
    A day out with the scouts *could* turn into a survival situation. To be able to look at a point of reference (be it gem guide or good info on your phone) *could* be helpful, or even a life saver.
    It doesn't make your kit weigh any heavier downloading a booklet onto your phone. It is something you can read during your lunch break, or while waiting for a train or whatever.
    Obviously it is better to call the Emergency Services in many a survival situation, but it doesn't hurt to install a guide or two on your phone..
    Well said mate, I agree with Jonny, It happened here about two years ago when a teacher had took his class out for a day in the Mourne mountains, things turned nasty and they had to call mountain rescue to get them out. I am in no way saying that a guide would have got them out.
    Learn a little, Enjoy a lot.

http://buzzardbushcraft.blogspot.com/

Talland Bay.. An pleg-mor Kernewek hag a wra kovyow
    Quote Originally Posted by Fletching View Post
    Don't forget the mottoes about being prepared. If you're still reading the book, you're not ready to go into a survival situation, are you?
    And just who is "ready" to go into a survival situation..? A survival situation is something that can happen to anyone at any time.
    I am not saying that someone will say "hang on tsunami, while I look you up on the survival guide on my posh phone". Many survival situations suddenly happen and there is little you may be able to do about it, let alone turning your phone on and looking up what to do.. But... If you have a tiny bit of data on your phone, that happens to be a well written e guide, then from time to time you will look at it. The more you look at it, the more it will stick in your brain.
    There *could* however be survival situations where there is a bit of time for you to look at a guide. Like in the same way many first aid kits have instruction guides.
    A survival situation is something you are forced into against your will. Yes its something we can train for to help give ourselves the best chance, but who knows what that survival situation will be..?

some of the questions are about things i will never come across. I think maybe i should just give up on the idea of teaching these kids what they want to know and just let them hang around the street causing trouble. I guess spending my own time to give other peoples kids a bit of fun and a taste of adventure is just a selfish excuse to make myself sound clever. The chances of me being in a real desperate survival situation are pretty minimal, I am not likely to crash a plane over bornio or get stuck behind enemy lines but if i can engage their minds at an early stage it might just make them understand the uses of and become comfortable in their natural surroundings.

Stupid me for misunderstanding the uses of this forum to share and gain knowledge.

Moderator & Poshcrafter™ Martin's Avatar
    In my, albeit limited, experience, there are two subjects that should never be discussed on a 'bushcraft' forum. One is the 'Who is better, Ray or Bear' subject and the other is the 'Survival or Preparedness' subject. They both always appear to end in tears, bad feeling, or just a massive argument.

Bottom line is that everyone is entitled to their opinion but sometimes it is tactful if you keep it to yourself. It is simply not acceptable to make a fellow member feel stupid for holding a particular view or opinion.

As I occasionally tell colleagues, "When I want your opinion on the subject, I'll give it to you."

Be nice guys.

Martin
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    In my, albeit limited, experience, there are two subjects that should never be discussed on a 'bushcraft' forum. One is the 'Who is better, Ray or Bear' subject and the other is the 'Survival or Preparedness' subject. They both always appear to end in tears, bad feeling, or just a massive argument.

Bottom line is that everyone is entitled to their opinion but sometimes it is tactful if you keep it to yourself. It is simply not acceptable to make a fellow member feel stupid for holding a particular view or opinion.

As I occasionally tell colleagues, "When I want your opinion on the subject, I'll give it to you."

Be nice guys.

Martin
    Sorry Martin, lip well and truly being bitten.

Moderator & Poshcrafter™ Martin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Comptona View Post
    Sorry Martin, lip well and truly being bitten.
    Not aimed at you mate or anyone in particular, but everyone in general. Let's be nice.

Martin
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.

Shall I phone for that takeaway now?

i would do it mate but my batteries gone flat.

NaturalBushcraft Founder Ashley Cawley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Humakt View Post
    Yes, but going out for a hike with the scouts is hardly a 'survival situation'...
    No your right, it isn't a survival situation and comptona never implied it was... but funnily enough some of the skills in the e-book/app are relevant to what he might teach the kids or it could enable him to answer their questions about survival.

He just made out it was useful to him, it could be useful to many people in many different use-cases, not just the worst case scenarios your thinking of.

Please try to be less argumentative Humakt.
    Ashley Cawley

Youtube | Forum | Twitter | Flickr
    Leave No Trace

The takeaway's arrived. Who ordered the Kung-Po Chicken?