Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A tale of woe/stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by NeedABrew View Post
    The H&S / risk to physical beings don't bare thinking about pal, but even without such things it could easily spoil a great weekend by cutting it short.

Sapper - Your "old stomping ground" - I get the idea that description could be used for much of the UK! ;-)*

* In the most respectful way I mean! You have a wealth of experience, obvious from your posts.
    In other words I've been around a bit

I actually was avoiding saying that the MRT I used to be with had south yorkshire in its patch
    [

Been there, done that, got the T Shirt stating 'I choked on the fumes from a rubber O ring'

I also once had an idea that filling up the Trangia burner with fuel prior to going out, would save me time faffing about when making a brew later on. And, it might have done, if I had secured the cap correctly. What a pillock.

Another 'fun' learning experience, which isn't strictly bushcraft related, but I'll throw it in anyway is, if you are visually challenged and are of a mind to cook up a chilli, take your contact lens out BEFORE you prepare the chillies.

I think we all make mistakes that in retrospect, could have been avoided if we had not allowed our brains and wits to pop out together out for a cheeky fag.
    Striving to avoid making the same mistake twice is what separates the momentarily dim witted from the folks who should not be allowed to play outside unsupervised and NEVER allowed to handle anything sharp.
    Ansum La

Quote Originally Posted by Sapper4083 View Post
    Closer still I'm south west huddersfield !!
    South east me! You must be nearer my old stomping grounds of Honley/Holmfirth/Meltham etc, I crossed over to the dark side (Kirkburton way) and barring a stint in Scotland I've been there ever since! Did pop back over a few weeks ago, for a sneaky overnighter in a patch of woodland I used to frequent as a kid tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Kernowek Scouser View Post
    Been there, done that, got the T Shirt stating 'I choked on the fumes from a rubber O ring'
    Pleased it's not just me!
    I always carry the burner full, if I'm only out for the day I don't even bother with spare fuel, i had to let it burn out just to be able to pack it away. Wont be doing it again.

I recently bought a new burner, just because I did not have a simmer ring to stop the fire with the old one, and had to let it burn out. But O-rings need replacement now and then. Just a fact of life.
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

Quote Originally Posted by FishyFolk View Post
    just because I did not have a simmer ring to stop the fire with the old one, and had to let it burn out.
    I just snuff mine out with the lid, I can get three or four brews out of a single fill.

Quote Originally Posted by karl View Post
    Pleased it's not just me!
    I always carry the burner full, if I'm only out for the day I don't even bother with spare fuel, i had to let it burn out just to be able to pack it away. Wont be doing it again.
    I have often taken just the burner full of fuel, then one day dropped a pot on it, spilled the fuel and had cold dinner and not cuppa, I always take spare fuel even if only couple ounces, worth considering..

Ps. got a couple of genuine trangia "O" rings...."£2.70 delivered from Trekitt.co.uk
    Campfires are best shared with friends.

I paid about the same from some bloke on ebay, fettlebox or something, a business seller, seems to do all sorts of bits and bobs.
    Thought they might be tricky to get hold of as I think they're bigger than civvie trangia burners, but seems everyone has some to sell.