Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Czech army bed roll

Czech army bed roll

I promised Ade that I would keep him informed about my intended mod on my Czech bed roll, as some of you know this sleeping system is made up off a outer nylon envelope ( waterproofed on the base ) an inner blanket which is secured in place
    by buttons and what is known as a sanitary liner!!! "don't ask as I have never had the need to use it" - It's a cotton inner sleeping bag meant to keep everything clean. Now with winter getting nearer I thought it would be a good idea to add another layer of insulation to the system - without adding to much weight, so the wife ( bless her ) dragged me kicking n screaming to a fabric store ( I will put store / retailers names at the end of the post along with the standard disclaimer ) to spend my beloved loose change, my first choice for a blanket was for some polar fleece - BUT in the off cut section always look there first there was a roll of what they call acrylic fleece " pictures later " that was more then big enough for the said blanket ( less than half the price of polar fleece RESULT) after a long chat with a sales assistant who wanted to know what and why we wanted everything for she pointed and said ripstop nylon on sale that way !
    a half hour later I had 10 meters of uncoated ripstop nylon at a £1.00 per meter - an idea was forming for a home-made underquilt, more on that at a later date - now for some pictures.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled_zps18d3f304.jpg 
Views:	1165 
Size:	83.2 KB 
ID:	5408This photo shows the brown outer bag, the original green blanket and the new blue acrylic blanketClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled_zps98b27b65.jpg 
Views:	688 
Size:	74.6 KB 
ID:	5409 this shows the blue blanket in full with the Gray section being a foot box to keep my toes toastyClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled_zpsc35505d6.jpg 
Views:	479 
Size:	90.9 KB 
ID:	5410the
    foot box will be secured with press studs, while I still have to mark out the button holes for securing the blanket, all zipped up snug as a bug.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled_zpsf81402ab.jpg 
Views:	333 
Size:	77.7 KB 
ID:	5411 this gives you some idea how thick the fleece is.
    That's it for now Cheers Bri

Fabric bought from Abakhan fabric,s an online retailer. I have no association with this store or any of its staff.
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Celti...517813?fref=ts
    To grow to be old and wise, you first have to be young and foolish
    I have everything I need - it's just the want's that are missing .

Quote Originally Posted by biker-bri View Post
    .....so the wife ( bless her ) dragged me kicking n screaming to a fabric store.......

Fabric bought from Abakhan fabric,s an online retailer. I have no association with this store or any of its staff.
    Looks like a case of no reason to even bother making the last disclaimer! Lol, if you got dragged to a store you had no interest in going to, why post a disclaimer? Funny guy Bri!

Excellent Bri mate. Have you weighed the new set up to see what difference there is?

You do realise of course that you now have to go out and sleep for the night in it! An excellent excuse for an overnighter - all done for "research purposes" of course!! Lol.

Ade.

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianMike View Post
    Looks like a case of no reason to even bother making the last disclaimer! Lol, if you got dragged to a store you had no interest in going to, why post a disclaimer? Funny guy Bri!
    I hadn't thought of it that way Mike! , better keep the mod,s happy tho just to be safe

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianRose View Post
    Excellent Bri mate. Have you weighed the new set up to see what difference there is?

You do realise of course that you now have to go out and sleep for the night in it! An excellent excuse for an overnighter - all done for "research purposes" of course!! Lol.

Ade.
    To be honest Ade we don't have a set of scales!, but I did a quick check by hand when we got home from the store with the rolled up fleece against the original cotton liner and there was very little difference in weight "BUT" the fleece IS bulkier than the cotton which means it holds more air and that makes it warmer it also makes it harder to roll up when packing.
    "The best test for warmth" after I had cut the fleece to shape I left the offcuts on the living room floor with the cotton liner and went to help the wife with the sewing, about an hour later we noticed the both of our dogs were very quiet, a quick look into
    the living room and both dogs were fast asleep on the fleece - definitive proof that fleece is warmer than cotton but in the name of science a field test is in order.
    Cheers Bri

Great job Bri . Look forward to the next report in emmm about mid december I think would be a good time LOL

Cheers
    AL
    The world is big and I want to have a good look at it before it gets dark.
    JOHN MUIR

Cracking mod Bri, love the foot box

From my own experience of using this bed roll, as it comes, in cold weather (in which it kept me warm) I reckon your mod will keep you very toasty indeed

I look forward to a trial report on the mod and am intrigued to hear more about your embryonic underquilt idea.

Thanks for sharing,

Colin.
    Ansum La

Nice post and a good job,
    What I would like to see added or commented on is the rational behind using this type of bed roll in preference to others you have tried,
    Very logical follow-on throughout the post,
    Campfires are best shared with friends.

I have no experience of any other bed roll or swag bag, but when compared with most sleeping bags, the CABR simply provides me with a more comfortable nights kip. I'm reasonably stocky and every sleeping bag I have tried, since getting back into camping, has made me feel like I am trapped in a coffin, wrapped in clingfilm around my chest, arms and shoulders and have no room to move. The CABR is no where near as constricting, I can roll my shoulders, move my arms, turn over, in the bed roll and not with the bed roll, breathe and more importantly sleep easily.

It is all down to personal preference.

I know people who swear by tight mummy sleeping bags and if you can endure using them, some of the ultralite ones out there pack down really small and are ideal for anyone looking to lighten their carry. But one thing I have come to realise and it is something that a fair few folks, particularly ex military types, have told me when I ask them is, you don't skimp on comfort. And for me comfort is having the freedom to move in my sleep system, rather than with my sleep system, while I reside in the Land of Nod.

Hope this helps.

Colin
    Ansum La

Quote Originally Posted by Kernowek Scouser View Post
    I'm reasonably stocky and every sleeping bag I have tried, since getting back into camping, has made me feel like I am trapped in a coffin, wrapped in clingfilm around my chest, arms and shoulders and have no room to move.
    SNAP, the only thing close is a extra large 58 patt bag which is just as heavy and sod all use when wet

But one thing I have come to realise and it is something that a fair few folks, particularly ex military types, have told me when I ask them is, you don't skimp on comfort
    also very true - 'any silly **** can rough it' was the line
    [