Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hammocks ...So many options!

Hammocks ...So many options!

Will be purchasing my hammock next week and naturally, don't want to make a mistake.
    I've looked at so many video reviews and listened to the pros & cons of many makes but wanted to ask for your opinions too.

Bug net: I've watched youtube OutdoorEnthusiast101 (great guy!) say the green is best as it doesn't distort the view. But then I've heard black is better than green from other sources. White seems to be globally hated
    What do you think??

Skin
    Single or double?

Size
    I'm a big bloke (Yeah I mean fat) with wide shoulders, 6'2" tall.

Shape
    Good knee support is essential. I can't be sleeping with pressure on my knees.

So far I think the Snugpak Jungle Hammock is my best option, but would really appreciate your help!!!

Cheers
    Paul

i have extensively researched the topic prior to ordering mine,what i would say is buy as good as you cant afford,cheap is as cheap does.have you looked at ukhammocks yet? the woodsman x is pretty damn good and according to many its as good as if not better than the warbonnet blackbird.

as for skin i would go double as apparently you can fit a thermal mat in between the layers.
    woodsman x has a foot box for better room for your toes.
    also ukh can make specifically to your requirements for little more than the basic model,i am big boned (ok,i ate ll the pies) and so needed one to take more than a standard hammock.
    www.jacksshed.co.uk A country living forum to compliment your bushcraft way of life.

If it helps I did a review on the 2012 Frontline Hammock from DD Hammocks.

At the end of the video I show a side by side comparison of video looking through the bug netting so you can see for yourself. The new black netting functions better in my opinion.

Ade.

When I bought my frontline hammock from DD I was a tad over 16 stone, so if fish ate the pies I had all the bacon and sausage!! so weight wise go for a double layer, less likely to over stress the rip stop or the stitching, and yes you can put a sleep mat between the layers for insulation. As for make go for what ever suits you, I can only comment on the DD as its the only one I have owned but my first night in it was the best nights sleep I'v had in years (probably because I was away from the wife's snoring)
    whatever you do have fun. Cheers Bri
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Celti...517813?fref=ts
    To grow to be old and wise, you first have to be young and foolish
    I have everything I need - it's just the want's that are missing .

I've got a basic cheap as chips Tenth Wonder XL camping hammock, 2.8 mtrs and this does all I require,

PS. You lot couldn't have eaten all the pies... I did.. (I'm at my ideal weight, I'm just two feet too short)..lol

I weigh in at 18 stone 7lbs (260lbs) It has done me fine for a few years now, at under £18.00 off ebay.... I have modded the suspension though, incorporating the old aswell... recycling
    Campfires are best shared with friends.

I'm a short, stocky and fairly dense 16 stone and have a DD Frontline. It has coped with me jumping/rolling into it when more than a bit sobriety challenged, so I would also cast a vote for a double layer as it does provide increased strength and support.

I can't help you when it comes to accommodating height or supporting troublesome knees, as I have no experience of either. But with regards to where to look, you've had a gander at Snugpac yourself and DD & Uk Hammocks have already been mentioned. So I would add Tenth Wonder and Hennessey into the mix , for your consideration.

Good luck.

Colin
    Ansum La

Quote Originally Posted by fish View Post
    i have extensively researched the topic prior to ordering mine,what i would say is buy as good as you cant afford,cheap is as cheap does.have you looked at ukhammocks yet? the woodsman x is pretty damn good and according to many its as good as if not better than the warbonnet blackbird.

as for skin i would go double as apparently you can fit a thermal mat in between the layers.
    woodsman x has a foot box for better room for your toes.
    also ukh can make specifically to your requirements for little more than the basic model,i am big boned (ok,i ate ll the pies) and so needed one to take more than a standard hammock.
    Thanks. Sound advice fish. I really do like the reviews of the ukh woodsman x, but £100+ is too much at the moment, at this stage I've not slept in one for even a night, so cant guarantee I'll even like it. A warbonnet or UKH kit is the stuff I'll buy after a I know I'm sold on hammock camping.

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianRose View Post
    If it helps I did a review on the 2012 Frontline Hammock from DD Hammocks.

At the end of the video I show a side by side comparison of video looking through the bug netting so you can see for yourself. The new black netting functions better in my opinion.

Ade.
    Many thanks Ade!
    I watched your review and now I'm torn between the snugpak and the DD. Based on the double skin and the fact that the black net does indeed seem to be of contentious benefit, I'm really torn.

Really admired your call to donate the rrp to HFH. Wonderful integrity sir!

Thanks again!!

Quote Originally Posted by biker-bri View Post
    When I bought my frontline hammock from DD I was a tad over 16 stone, so if fish ate the pies I had all the bacon and sausage!! so weight wise go for a double layer, less likely to over stress the rip stop or the stitching, and yes you can put a sleep mat between the layers for insulation. As for make go for what ever suits you, I can only comment on the DD as its the only one I have owned but my first night in it was the best nights sleep I'v had in years (probably because I was away from the wife's snoring)
    whatever you do have fun. Cheers Bri
    Thanks Bri.
    That's a x2 recommendations now for the DD
    have you had issue with your matt slipping and moving in between the layers? Is it a bugger to get back in position if it does?

Cheers!

Thanks tigger
    Well I've got a stone or so on you! Luckily I'm 6'2" so have more room to spread it about!
    Don't you get eaten alive without a bug net or do you use something separately?

The price point on the Tenth Wonder is magic!