Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Top twelve buscraft gear picks

1. Ontario 12" machete with custom grind on the blade top for scraping, 4" of scandi grind near the handle and convex grind for the balance of the blade. This pattern has been copied by some US TV survival gurus but was originally done
    by Dave McIntyre, better known on youtube as Colhane, who is an avid outdoors man, bushcraft teacher and Baptist Missionary to Brazil.

2. SAK Farmer Alox, this is a good tool.

3. Good rip stop Poncho, using a mid grade ripstop nylon now, looking to have a custom 6' x 10' made which will double as a tarp for an emergency hammock.

4. Large fire steel, currently using a Light My Fire Army Model, but the 8mm eBay China special works well too.

5. Snow Peak .88 liter Ti mini solo kit, less the Ti lid and add the silicone pot gripper lid. Nest with a Nalgene Bottle.

6. Vargo hexagon wood stove

7. Trangia Alcohol stove

8. Blackbird Warbonnet DL 1.7 hammock

9. Hennessy Hex Tarp, (the cheaper one)

10. Stoic Long handle Ti spoon, What a silly purchase.

11. 24" folding bucksaw by Northwest Woodsman

12. Neck knife/survival kit as designed by Dave McIntyre aka Colhane on youtube. This too was designed by Dave and copied and claimed by a well known US TV survival guru. I am working on changing the knife to a Becker BK 14 or a nice
    light weight carving size pukko with a kydex neck sheath.

1. Fixed blade knife

Cold Steel Hunter - the discontinued carbon steel one

2. Folding knife

Ka Bar Mule; trouble is that it's just too heavy to carry

3. Multi tool

Gerber of some sort; given to me by a Gerber rep many years ago

4. Axe

Sandvik but it's not the most glam item

5. Saw

I've had several Silky over the years but now use the Wilkenson / Sandvik. They're a retractable saw as opposed to a Folder.
    I got fed up with paying Silky's prices

6. Cooking system

MSR multifuel or a very old Trangia. I do like the look of the latest Primus multi fuel though

7. Footwear

Meindl Burma

8. Pack/bag

Berghaus Cyclops

9. Sleeping system

M.E. Dreamcatcher summer weight and an ex MOD gonk bag

10. Tent

Little thing that was made as a sample for Millets. The materials were too expensive for them to be able to sell it at their usual prices

11. Jacket

Barbour and Realtree

12. Headwear

Tilley, El Cheapo Thinsulate and Realtree
    Only my dog can judge me

http://www.devilark.com.au/

1. Fixed blade knife

home designed knife, bit heavy really but a good camp knife

2. Folding knife

Mmm I have 2 I like to use, Gerber gator and the good old Opinel No8

3. Fire lighting kit, various varieties from flint and steel to ferrous rod, but mainly 3 disposable lighters in different area's of the bergen and some tinder of various kinds.

4. Axe

I have a Hultafors I bought of another forum, its only small but it does the trick.

5. Saw

Gerber folder, bought it in a HFH Auction a few years back, thought I didn't have a use for it, but how wrong I was, great tool.

6. Cooking system

I have a large Billy with a honey stove and a Tatonka burner in it with a tit mug and spoon, I carry a separate sealed bottle of meth's in case but generally try and use a little old fire. If it's possible I like to take a small old frying pan, I love a good fry up, if there's a base camp or not a big walk in I will take a big spun steel Aussie oven if there is a cook out on!
    I like to use a 2Ltr water bottle as a minimum

7. Footwear

Meindl's Generally but if it's very wet and cold I have some old Lowa's which seem to never fail me, and I always carry extra socks, old habit!

8. Pack/bag

Sabre 75 with extra pouch's, like everything inside if poss, sort of believe that if you travel lite your cold at nite so I don't really mind the size and weight.

9. Sleeping system

I have an arctic doss bag and a couple of different Gore-Tex bags I like, I prefer to take a 'Fat Airic' self inflating mat, now I'm older and heavier I need a little more comfort ;-) I lay this on an old NATO sheet with a tarp over, I have a hammock system but prefer the floor to be honest.

10. Tent

I have a small pull up which I swapped for some old mod gear with a great bloke called 'Andy(2112)' who is no longer with us sadly, it's a bit heavy for tramping but if your motorised or floating it's ok

11. Jacket

Smelly old Barbour

12. Headwear
    Generally don't bother unless it's really cold, but I might use a wooly beanie hat if I was cold and exposed, if it's sunny I have an old leather drovers hat.

The most important thing i like to take out with me is a smile ;-)... oh and Bacon.

Adam.
    Last edited by admo919; 08-10-2012 at 08:12 PM. Reason: changed item 3 to fire lighting kit.

1. Fixed blade knife

8" Angkhola Kukri

2. Folding knife

Captain Curry Lockspike Bosun

3. Multi tool

N/A

4. Axe

N/A

5. Saw

Currently Bahco Laplander

6. Cooking system

Open fire/Dr Zarkov Stove/Trangia 25/MSR Whisperlite International

7. Footwear

Bare foot/sandals/BCH

8. Pack/bag

Finnish Respirator/Dart 35/Berghaus Mustang/LL Bean 95l duffle

9. Sleeping system
    Silk liner/Vango Quattro/Surplus bivi bag| Snugpak underquilt/Nomad XL hammock/DD 3x3 tarp

10. Tent

Vango Odyssey 400

11. Jacket

Er, Wynnster.

12. Headwear

Base ball cap/Tilley or wooly hat
    ...the silence only broken by the hooting of a very gifted bat!

Bloggage: http://campingonthewildside.blogspot.com

1. Fixed blade knife
    usually SOG field pup II - if im doing a lot of work around the camp i use my SOG Aura Tini Seal

2. Foldding knife
    I tend not to use a folding knife very often as my field pup is small and handy but i would like to buy my self an Opinel No8

3. Multi tool
    SOG powerassist multi tool

4. Axe
    ATM it's my Gerber Axe but i hoping to soon be an owner of a gransfors

5. Saw
    SOG folding saw

6. Cooking system
    hobo stove, billy cans + fire usually but i do use my jet boil stove too

7. Footwear
    Berghaus Explorer

8. Pack/bag
    either my Berghaus freeflow or my low alpine

9. Sleeping system
    i usually use my thermarest and my blacks 4 season sleeping bag (which i bought for £3 when blacks was moving one of there stores and selling off all there gear)

10. Tent
    i rarely use a tent but if i do i use my Vango banshe 200

11. Jacket
    if it is raining or very windy i perfer my Berghaus Mera Peak if not then i use my North Ridge shoft shell

12. Headwear
    Tend to just put my hood up but if i do wear a hat i wear my fur Deerstalker Hat

1. Fixed blade knife: Doing Research.

2. Folding knife: Svord Peasant Knife (Wood Handle).

3. Multi tool: Ronson

4. Axe: Dont have one.

5. Saw: Cheap folding saw but will be ordering Laplander to replace.

6. Cooking system: Well my latest is the Wild Stove MKIIt + MSR Stoaway 775ml. I have many other combo's though like Honey Stove, Optimus Crux, Pocket Stove, Whitebox etc.

7. Footwear: Cheap Regatta walking boots. Very comfy but doing some research into new ones.

8. Pack/bag: Osprey Exos 46.

9. Sleeping system: Thermarest Neoair Mat + Mountain Equipment Xero 350 Sleeping bag

10. Tent: TN/Wild Country Zephyros 1. Looking into getting Hammock/Tarp setup.

11. Jacket: Berghaus Fleece, Uniqlo Ultra Light Down Jacket, Paramo Windproof Smock, Tresspass pack away waterproof jacket.

12. Headwear: Couple of wool beanie hats.
    Last edited by ADz; 19-05-2013 at 02:44 AM.
    "Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes; after that, who cares?! He's a mile away and you've got his shoes!​​"

1. Fixed blade knife --> Normally my Western Skinning Knife, now my STKR Scout probably.

2. Folding knife --> Gerber LST lockback. (or one of the other dozens of folders I have...)

3. Multi tool--> Gerber Sport 400 which I've had for about 15 years or so.

4. Axe--> I don't really carry an axe, but I carry my Estwing Hatchet.

5. Saw--> SOG F10 folding saw

6. Cooking system--> MSR Titan kettle, MSR Pocket Rocket IsoButane stove. Also in the arsenal, but that don't see much use are several homebrew alcohol (meths to most of you) stoves and one folding solid fuel stove of which I'm quite proud. Solid fuel meaning it uses those little Esbit tablets that smell like burning fish scales. I've used it a couple of times, but it was just an experiment.

7. Footwear--> REI branded Raichle Spirit III

8. Pack/bag--> EMS 3000cu/in pack, basic black

9. Sleeping system--> LaFuma synthetic summer-weight extra-long mummy bag, Skeeter Beeter Hammock

10. Tent--> None...8'x10' sil-nylon tarp

11. Jacket--> EMS branded (Marmot) Thunderhead II

12. Headwear --> In the cold; Wigwam merino wool cap. Summer; Duluth Trading Co. military patrol cap or Duluth Trading Co. Outback Hat

Great thread, thanks for starting it, Jakob!

The kit has changed so her we go again:

1. Fixed blade knife
    Knivsmed Strømeng 9" Leuku - Always with me when I am out. Allong with my Enzo Trapper

2. Foldding knife
    Opinel #8, thanks again jakob :-)

3. Multi tool
    Leatherman Supertool 300. I have had all the supertools, and I love them. A real work horse.

4. Axe
    Hultafors felling axe with leather sheath made by Tony from this forum :-)

5. Saw
    Garden type folding saw from Europris - never actually used it. Wood small enough to use it for is quicker to chop trough with my leuku.
    In winter: Biltema bow saw

6. Cooking system
    GoSystems Flexi-fuel stove. Alternatively a trangia style stove or a butane gas burner. Bring whatever is needed for the trip I am on.
    Else, frying pan and kettle from eagle products, solo cooking kit in anodized alu and a 12 cm Zebra billy can. Alternatively a USGI cup and hex burner.

7. Footwear
    Spotec leather boots. Best I have ever had.

8. Pack/bag
    Preffer my little molle bag for day walks. On overnighters I have a larger cheap Helsport Trollheimen 60L

9. Sleeping system
    Tenth Wonder XL Bivi Hornet hammock, DD XL Tarp (4,5 x 3m) coyote brown, Isbjørn Jan Mayen sleeping bag, Snugpak underblanket

10. Tent
    Don't remember the brand. Sleeps one person, single sheet, paid 300 NOK for it. Works, but that I will ever use it again after getting the hammock

11. Jacket
    Dovrefjell Softshell jacket/ Dovrefjell Climatex G2 fleece hunting jacket / British army Gore tex jacket in dessert camo

12. Headwear
    Boonie hat, and when cold then my no-brand woolie hat will do
    Last edited by FishyFolk; 19-05-2013 at 08:53 AM.
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

Great thread jeep, thanks for starting it!! as relative noob to all this here is my list-

1. Fixed blade knife -- mora robust ray mears anniversary knife with homemade leather sheath, or to save a bit of weight dajo survivor knife (great little fix blade!!)

2. Folding knife --> Gerber paraframe, it's the only one I own!!

3. Multi tool--> Gerber suspension, take it everywhere don't think iv ever used it camping lol

4. Axe--> I don't own an axe, but would appreciate some advice on a fairly cheap but reliable small one!!

5. Saw--> Laplander,great saw!!

6. Cooking system-- wood gas stove with tatonka meths burner,primus trek kettle billy, ikea £1 small frying pan if car camping but I also try and cook over camp fire. If trying to save weight a jet boil and either dehydrated food or boil in the bag!! Love my little ti cup and Tesco £1.50 ally kettle too!!

7. Footwear-- brasher hill master gotetex boots, brilliant brilliant boots, comfy, warm yet breathable, worn them in hot places and down to minus 15 never let me down. I would like some light weight trail shoes so Again some advice would be great!!

8. Pack/bag--> snugpak rocketpak for smaller loads, Lowe alpine 65-85 for larger

9. Sleeping system-- if ground dwelling synmat 7 and sleeping bag relevant to the temperature. If in my comfy hammock snugpak under quilt and uk hammocks down top quilt.

10. Tent--> Ground appy trails 3 and home made bath tub ground sheet, or dd frontline hammock and 3x3 tarp with doors.

11. Jacket-- cold weather has to be my trusty m90, nothing warmer!! Summer time I have a paramo velez adventure smock! Great bit if kit, if not my trusty Dpm smock!!

12. Headwear -- don't really wee hats in the summer, but in in colder months either a silly hat or a rabbit fur trapper hat.

Cheers
    Steve

Hmmmm lets see. Depends on whether it's for bushcraft or canoe touring for me.

1. Fixed blade knife
    Mora 510 (sadly now discontinued) or Fallkniven F1

2. Folding knife
    Fallkniven TK4

3. Multi tool
    I carry a Leatherman Wave at work, but don't use it much elsewhere.

4. Axe
    Gransfors Outdoor Axe (fast becoming my favourite over my SFA)

5. Saw
    Bahco Laplander

6. Cooking system
    Trangia or 'Fourdog' anodised pots over an open fire in a Hekla 7 firebox

7. Footwear
    My work adidas GSG9's or Lundhag professional high when it gets colder. In the canoe, Chota mukluks.

8. Pack/bag
    1980's Berghaus Roc in canvas

9. Sleeping system
    PHD minimus with a Rab 'survival zone' cover (or a Rab summit 600 down bag when colder)
    Exped 7dlx downmat or short thermarest.

10. Tent
    Helsport Lavvulight or Varanger for basecamp.

11. Jacket
    1980's Fjallraven Greenland Jacket

12. Headwear
    Smartwool beanie, Lowe Mountain cap, Tilley T3.
    Last edited by TreefrogGB; 19-05-2013 at 12:03 PM.
    when we destroy something created by man we call it vandalism, but when we destroy something created by nature we call it progress.