Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

Thread: diabetes and bushcraft/survival , any advice?

Quote Originally Posted by Sapper4083 View Post
    insulin pump even better....
    Yup. My wife has been using a pump for some years now, and just a couple of years ago she began using the real-time blood sugar monitoring sensor that's inserted subcutaneously (well, the needle portion is...) She still spot checks, but the sensor combined with the pump give her a lot more control, and also give her doctor a great idea as to her highs and lows and in-betweens.

Josh

I am a diabetic type 2. What do I do in the field? One as I use insulin in two forms I carry enough pen, alcohol swabs, and needles for the length of my stay. It is important to keep up with your meds. I also carry hard candy or gluco tabs in ziplock bags as a part of my EDC. My test kit is also with me all the time.

Diet is very important. I have reduced my use of sugar to almost none and I use only unprocessed sugar at that. Salt too has been reduced and I use only sea salt. Oils for cooking or salads - olive oil only. Most of the bulk of your diet must change from carbs to veg. Protein is okay but a portion the sizes of a deck of cards (not those huge Tarot things twit!) Carbs keep to brown rice or whole grain types but you can have a golf ball sized portion with each meal. None of those nasty Ramen Noodle packs. You GP or nurse will surely give you this advice, I try to eat 4 or 5 small meals a day rather than three larger meals. Breakfast is a good time for a larger meal. I still eat oatmeal but the steel cut type. Cinamon is an excellent spice for diabetics because it does reduce the blood glucose levels. I even put it in my coffee! Wild edibles and game are excellent source of nutrition. I try to make the bulk of my diet in the field fish, fowl, or cattail. Squirrel and rabbit mixed with the occasional turtle or snake are good as well and for the most part legal.

If you start feeling weak take a blood test. (LOL get's you off your feet!) Then respond to the test: sugar tabs or an injection of insulin. Rehydrate your body!!!!!!!!!!

I'm going to check on the real time glucose monitor when I go back to my doctor. I don't like hangy bits that could get pulled out in a survival situation which is why I don't wear a pump!

The best thing for use fat, old rejects is to loose that weight. I feel a hundred percent better this year than last. I will feel a 100% better next year. Get out in the dirt and lose that weight!
    "This is Liberty Hall - you can spit on the mat and call the 'cat' naughty names!" LOL

Quote Originally Posted by SilverBinder View Post
    I am a diabetic type 2. What do I do in the field? One as I use insulin in two forms I carry enough pen, alcohol swabs, and needles for the length of my stay.
    To clarify...(or even confuse)....for those that dont already know

Type 2 diabetes occurs when the body doesn't produce enough insulin to function properly, or the body’s cells don't react to insulin. This is known as insulin resistance.Type 2 diabetes is far more common than type 1 diabetes, which occurs when the body doesn't produce any insulin at all. As we are in the UK, its worth knowing that about 90% of all adults with diabetes have type 2 diabetes.

Type 1 diabetes is often referred to as insulin-dependent diabetes. It is also sometimes known as juvenile diabetes or early-onset diabetes because it often develops before the age of 40, usually during the teenage years. In type 1 diabetes, the pancreas does not produce any insulin.
    [