Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: diabetes and bushcraft/survival , any advice?

diabetes and bushcraft/survival , any advice?

Any one have experience of bushcraft with diabetes type 1 or 2? i was diagnosed earlier this year as being type 2 thankfully i don't need to inject and control it with tablets but that only stops the high sugars and doesn't stop the hypoglycemic episodes. This is a right pain in the butt if i am trying to forage and hunt only with no foods with me,in fact it is now impossible to do without some glucose tabs with me,that makes the survival seem a bit of a farce really,i mean in a real life situation ime a goner! lol
    So what do fellow sufferers do? do you pack specific supplements?
    www.jacksshed.co.uk A country living forum to compliment your bushcraft way of life.

I don't envy you on this one as my brother has diabetes after his pancreas packed up. He worked with me for some months after he was medically discharged from the infantry and it was a bit of a problem trying to maintain his blood suger levels. But realistically, is this a problem? You mention survival situations but it is unlikely that this will ever happen, and by no means should you practicing the skills ever be farcical. As with any suvival situation its about being as prepared as you can be, and in this case that includes your meds.

Myself, I can have an issue with hypoglycemia and my energy levels dropping right off if I do not ensure that I eat sufficiently. As such there are always a couple of tubes of glucose tabs in my pack if the need should arise when out and about just to stop the shakes till I can sit down and fill my face. Its rarely a problem these days as I tend to eat frequently when working but just can't seem to put on any body fat so they just exist as a backup when walking.

"cant seem to put on any body fat"

you lucky sod! lol

what are the glucose pills you mention? is there a specific brand?
    www.jacksshed.co.uk A country living forum to compliment your bushcraft way of life.

Always used to use the Dextro tabs in the paper wrap, like a packet of sweets http://www.dextro-energy.com/produkte/stange/index.asp

More recently though, I have been using GlucoTabs http://www.glucotabs.co.uk/ as these come in a plastic tube that is more suitable for our inclement weather when out and about. They don't taste bad either

Hi Fish,

My wife was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes when she was 19 and we were dating. That was about 17 years ago, I think...geez, we're getting old.

She used to carry glucose tablets with her. Here in the US she was getting the ReliOn tablets which are available at many grocery and drug stores (chemists.) The major drawback is that they can be a little pricey for what you get out of them, and for some years now (and especially since we had our kids) she carries a few packages of gummy, chewy fruit snack thingies that you might put in a child's lunch. Much cheaper alternative.

My dad is type 2 also. Take care of yourself, it's not the best diagnosis to live with, but it's not the end either.

All the best,

Josh

gluco tabs look like a winner,ive tried the dextro ones and as you say the wrappers are useless.

Quote Originally Posted by jbrown14 View Post
    Hi Fish,

My wife was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes when she was 19 and we were dating. That was about 17 years ago, I think...geez, we're getting old.

She used to carry glucose tablets with her. Here in the US she was getting the ReliOn tablets which are available at many grocery and drug stores (chemists.) The major drawback is that they can be a little pricey for what you get out of them, and for some years now (and especially since we had our kids) she carries a few packages of gummy, chewy fruit snack thingies that you might put in a child's lunch. Much cheaper alternative.

My dad is type 2 also. Take care of yourself, it's not the best diagnosis to live with, but it's not the end either.

All the best,

Josh
    cheers josh,i guess in a few months ille be a pro at this,tell you what though once my blood sugar levels were down to 5 instead of 20 i fealt great,ive been a lot more active since going on the tabs.
    if anyone here is showing any of the symptoms get checked out,it really is worth it.

Fish mate,talk to your doctor is my best advice, Sapper seems a all round sensible sort of bloke,see what he has to say. Paul

cheers paul.

They are even on the diabetes web site http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetic-p...glucotabs.html

Heres a supplier of different Gluco stuff http://www.medicalshop.co.uk/product...-blood-glucose
    Last edited by jus_young; 06-09-2012 at 08:48 PM. Reason: more info