Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Doomsday Preppers

Doomsday Preppers

A new show on National Geographic starting now on those that think the end of the world is not far away. Just switching it on now so could be interesting

Looks like the usual junk, just bad enough to keep you glued to it, and yet leave you feeling like it was a complete waste of time and really; you'd have been better off carving a toothpick in the back garden.

I am learning to hate TV these days. I hope I'm wrong and it's actually good. (Who am I kidding? I know it's going to be a freak show.)

Trapper
    Verdict? I was going to have a look but completely forgot it was on.

Natural Born Bushcrafter luresalive's Avatar
    That guy who was out foraging and demonstrating the hand drill he carried a pack like us, dressed like us, wore a hat like us, and knew medicinal plant use like us..are we really that different? Prepping will probably end up being the new bushcraft.

What can I say...?

Bernie, you are not far wrong. Gun proof shelters, years of food supplies, escape routes to alternative hideaways, enough guns and ammo to start a war, the list goes on. It was quite amusing in some respects and almost rather scaryingly true in others as some of the things that were discussed could well happen.

But then again, would you want to spend your life preparing for something that may well not happen or just spend your life enjoying what you do have until your time comes?

90% of those folks will be the first ones hit by roving bands.
    Not how I would like to live . I love bushcrafting finding/hunting to feed my wife and kids and those round about me.
    Its amasing when I take home a Roe buck everyone I know seem to come over for a wee visit lol so what would it be like if I was to have 3 years worth of food in the house? haha

Cheers
    AL
    The world is big and I want to have a good look at it before it gets dark.
    JOHN MUIR

Banned
    The couple with the compound made of shipping containers had clearly watched too many re-runs of Mad Max. I wouldn't be surprised if they have trained their kids to use a razor sharp boomerang

Some level of general preparedness is never a bad thing. But, actually preparing for a WROL situation by building "secret lairs" and stocking them with food and weapons is, imho, to the rather extreme side.

But, what is a prepper? Personally I keep enough canned/dry food to feed me and Maria for approx. 14 days, a few large boxes of candles, a few (ok, quite a few) stoves + fuel for them, in our aparment at all time. There is at least one powerfull flashlight and a few knives in every room. I learn and practice bushcraft skills and I have loads of camping/hiking gear. I always keep a couple of plankets, a propane stove w. a small pot, a folding shovel, multitool and a small axe/hammer/prybar thingie in our car. I always carry a multitool, a firestriker, a powerfull flashlight and a compass on my person. Does that make me a prepper - or just prepared?

Personally I do not se myself as a prepper, for one very important reason - I do not expect (or, as the case seems to be with some preppers, look forward to) a WROL situation. I just like to be prepared for power-outs, the car breaking down in the snow, food shortage due to strikes/lockouts in the transportation sector (has happended before), etc.
    Last edited by JEEP; 06-09-2012 at 08:46 PM.

I'm with you Jeep , careful but not fanatical ... Who could afford it really ?

Cheers Whistle
    Life's a beach .... and then the tide comes in ....

same here jeep,we always keep 2 months food in,and quite often it has been needed from time to time.some time ago i buried 5 containers for bug out scenario and are dotted across the southwest and wales,mostly they contain equipment and small quantity of full and half sovereigns (had a well paid job at the time!),of course if i die and haven't needed them some lucky archeologist will be very happy to dig them up in the future,which if you watch time team or follow the archeology news you will see are often found from the earliest times through the roman withdrawal and on through other turbulent times in our nations past.personally ide rather prep and not need it than not and wish to god i had!
    www.jacksshed.co.uk A country living forum to compliment your bushcraft way of life.