Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Perfect teotwawki hideaway on Dartmoor..

Quote Originally Posted by JonnyP View Post
    It looks a bit damp in there..!
    Not really surprising... the place names give away the reasons......crosland moor, blackmoorfoot lots of peaty, boggy soil
    [

Quote Originally Posted by Sapper4083 View Post
    That's the one I'd choose. It's about 4 hours from my house, and less than an hour to get to the High Peaks in the Adirondack Mountains.
    If you want to check it out in a mapping program the coordinates are: 44.60117,-73.856632

they arent all listed,i know of 3 that arent listed and no mention anywhere online or other wise. so keep an eye open!

would love to own one,two of the 3 i know of are accesable .....but not for chaps my size! lol
    www.jacksshed.co.uk A country living forum to compliment your bushcraft way of life.

Quote Originally Posted by JonnyP View Post
    That looks best of all..

This is an interesting site.. Find your nearest Nuclear monitoring post http://www.subbrit.org.uk/category/n...nitoring-posts
    We are off to look for our nearest one (just up the road) this afternoon :0)
    The one nearest me appears to have been surrounded by affordable housing, if only they knew

I think a prerequisite of any subterranean lair is a self contained mono rail. So whilst both of the latter sites have promise, if there respective vendors were not prepared to lower the price to allow for the cost of installing such an essential lair accessory, I'm afraid I would have to give them a miss.

Oh and a shark/piranha aquarium directly beneath the main meeting room and extending into the cavernous ante chamber, it is a bit like the lair equivalent of a conservatory with double glazed windows, not essential in itself, but it would definitely help clinch a sale.
    Ansum La

Not setting yer sights to high then !! hehe!

Cheers
    AL
    The world is big and I want to have a good look at it before it gets dark.
    JOHN MUIR

Talland Bay.. An pleg-mor Kernewek hag a wra kovyow
    Well the one near us is still there. Looks like somebody has been in and out of it recently too, all the vegetation had been trampled around it..
    I forgot to take a torch, so I didn't go in.

There are still undiscovered and/or forgotten "stay behind" posts that were made for the Auxilliers during the last unpleasantness

For example, when the new part of the A3 was being pushed through from Petersfield to Portsmouth at the part that runs by Queen Elizabeth Country Park the contractors were using Bulldozers, Rippers, Scrapers and other assorted big boyz toyz

There were a couple of old chaps watching with great interest. They were approached by a couple of Engineers who asked them if they were that interested.
    They replied that they were just waiting for the bang

"What do you mean?" they were asked "We know that this was used by the Canadians as a practise mortar range and that all they used were smoke bombs"

"That's not what we're waiting for came the reply from the two jolly old coves "There was a stay behind post here"

Not unreasonably the engineers did not know what a stay behind post was.

The two old chaps then showed them where it was and what it contained. There were Mills bombs, guncotton slabs, some very unstable gelignite, detonators and other other assorted warry things.

Blind panic, site shut down, Mr Plod, The Army EOD, the Navy bods, Uncle Tom Cobbley veveryone and his brother who might have an interest in clearing the place up

- and there are other posts still out there as they weren't all cleared away. So be careful where you light that fire

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auxiliary_Units

Also, if you're on holiday in Suffolk the Museum of Resistance is worth a look - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auxiliary_Units
    Only my dog can judge me

http://www.devilark.com.au/

Stuff from WWII turn up all the time here as well. Everything from bombs to mines. Specially up in Finnmark where the northern front was. But also around the Mountains of Narvik. And then there was all the stuff that was just burried and forgotten.
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

I have been involved in several EOD jobs in the last 6 years stemming from various sizes of UXO turning up on once remote moorland that now is easily accessible combined with 70 years of peat erosion
    [

Samuel Hearne
    I would love to be able get one of them.