Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Binoculars and Monoculars

I use a pair of Praktica 10x32 I got from Cashconverters for £25 Well happy with them They are bomb proof lol
    I have nothin to do with the shop other than lookin for a bargen now and again.

Cheers
    AL
    The world is big and I want to have a good look at it before it gets dark.
    JOHN MUIR

One with Nature
    "Always remember, no matter where you go there you are."
    hello,
    I was reading your post last night. I had to go look out my notebook of
    business addresses. Here's one you may find of interest-
    http://www.claritas-online.co.uk/index.htm
    Covers a wide range of Binoculars & Navigational Aids. Might be of interest
    to other forum members also?
    Regards
    David

Quote Originally Posted by comanighttrain View Post
    Can anyone give me some recommendations on these? like where's best to buy from?

Currently looking for a monocular that would be good for spotting wildlife and looking for interesting terrain features when out and about?
    Hi,

if you want to know about optics have a look here:

http://www.birdforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=112

Be warned though, there is a baffling array of info and opinions. But if you have a good read i think it will point you in the right direction and help you get the best you can afford. Do search in the forums there for monocular, see what it brings up.

I'm a birdwatcher and I have tried loads of binoculars and telescopes over the years and there's two things I would recommend you do.
    The first is you need to decide how much you want to spend
    The second is try as many different monocular/ binoculars before you decide on which one to buy. That is, don't just buy one from the 'net. Get yourself into some shops and try them for yourself. I say this because the way binoculars fit your face and hands is as important as how good the view is. If they're not right, it doesn't matter if the view is amazing because you wont enjoy it because you wont be able to see the whole view because the eye relief doesn't allow you to see the whole view or because you can't hold the bins steady because they don't fit your hands or are too heavy.

If you let me know how much your willing to spend, I'll try to make some suggestions as to what is good for the money.

Best wishes
    Phineas

Bit out of the box, but ever thought of a compact camcorder, great zoom, often night vision and you can record stuff too! I use an old Sony Handycam with a small DVD disc in, It's great but might not be what floats your boat, just thought i'd mention it, cheers, Tiggs

Tribal Elder
    Thanks Lads!

Phineas - I'll take you up on the suggestions when I come up with a budget!

Tigger004 - Actually yes. NV would also be useful as a lot of interesting things happen at night!

Tribal Elder
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0001M361...071_pe_epc_dt5

Would these be any good? 8x40 and olympus

Tribal Elder
    Scratch that, not waterproof

I take it your looking for bins rather than a monocular, then, and your budget is £50 ish?
    And something around 8x40 and waterproof.

I've got to emphasise that you really should try before you buy. Do you have any decent shops near you?

Tribal Elder
    Quote Originally Posted by Phineas View Post
    I take it your looking for bins rather than a monocular, then, and your budget is £50 ish?
    And something around 8x40 and waterproof.

I've got to emphasise that you really should try before you buy. Do you have any decent shops near you?
    Mono or Bino...they each have their respective advantages I guess.

I just clocked those were on sale at a good price - I guess we have a few shops here i could try

How about Opticron Savanna WP 8x30 or 6x30.

The 8x might be a little dim on overcast days or at dawn and dusk but my Dad uses the very similar Vortex Raptor 8.5x32 and has never complained about them. He likes them a lot. They are very light and small so good for long walks or backpacking.

Opticron are a good British brand with excellent guarantees and customer service. Have a look at their other stuff. They have monoculars too.