Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tatonka Stainless Steel Alcohol/Meths Stove

You just put the closed simmer ring on top of the burner to extinguish the flame.

Quote Originally Posted by Fletching View Post
    I tried to put mine out the other day with the lid upside down and the 'O' ring still caught fire and expanded. It was inside my hobo, so probably got the angle wrong. I know it's unusual, but I didn't have pliers handy and the pot grips were a bit too late at this point. Replacement ring now sought.

Moral - careful with the burner inside a hobo when extinguishing it.

Steve
    I have never used the tatonka with a hobo stove - merely the tatanka burner stand (which i rate) and a stand-alone windshield ( i think its a Highlander or similar). I use the upside down lid as a put out method and have not so far experienced your problem. The tatonka is in my daybag ( a sidepack) because it packs up so small (including the stand/adjuster) but i dont often stop for a brew up - just a smoke and some water. I use a tatonka mug with this and carry a swedish folding cup too - it all fits nicely in the mug including the additional meths.
    Time is precious - waste it wisely

Quote Originally Posted by Realbark View Post
    Dont extinguish using the inside of the lid (o ring side) - use the cap UPSIDE DOWN - it will still extinguish the cooker. Simples.
    I did use it upside down but it still caught fire As I tried to rescue the lid I knocked my hobo over and sent burning meths all over the grass, luckily I was on private land and did no damage but it was a lesson learned about being more careful with meths.

Quote Originally Posted by JEEP View Post
    I have gotten the stainless steel simmer ring, that you can get for the Tatonka burner, it does a nice job of putting out the flame. A bit irritating imho. that it just doesn't come with the burner though (it does when you buy the Multiset). Imho the simmer ring is not an accessory it is a part of the burner - and should as such come with the burner.
    Thanks JEEP I hadn't thought of doing that. I did buy the simmer ring and the stand but I never use the simmer ring so I tend to leave it behind, but I think for the low weight I should pack it and start to use it as the extinguisher.

Quote Originally Posted by Mang View Post
    ...I got sent a replacement O ring form Lakeland Bushcraft (in the Lake District) where I purchased it from-Top service.
    Thanks Mang, I didn't realise that they sold replacement O rings at Lakeland Bushcraft it was from them that I bought my Tatonka.

Quote Originally Posted by robin View Post
    Thanks Mang, I didn't realise that they sold replacement O rings at Lakeland Bushcraft it was from them that I bought my Tatonka.
    Not sure if they sell them as they sent me one when a sent an enquiring email, hence the top service bit. I'm off to the Lakes this summer so I may swing by and see if I can get some more...but it won't happen again of course!

i don't like alcohol stove... it's just bulky...but this Vargo stove can use woods from the fields... it's free... & it is genius design... I love this ...my new Vargo stove...Two thumbs up

NaturalBushcraft Founder Ashley Cawley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by maxinpains View Post
    i don't like alcohol stove... it's just bulky...but this Vargo stove can use woods from the fields... it's free... & it is genius design... I love this ...my new Vargo stove...Two thumbs up
    Alcohol stove's aren't bulky; pop-can stove or a white-box stoves are tiny and extremely lightweight.

Care to share more about your Vargo stove?
    Ashley Cawley

Youtube | Forum | Twitter | Flickr
    Leave No Trace

As in my "what have you bought now" reply my second Tatonka turned up today. I have stuck some stove rope around it as im going to use it freestanding in my hobo and relegate my old trangia to the odds n sods shelf in my garage. After filling the tatonka, soaking the stove rope and primer shelf with some carefully poured meths i had a rolling boil (in the garage to be fair) in about 6 minutes with 375ml (cup size) of tap water - and its cold here tonight. To be honest a few minutes here or there of boil time on any stove shouldnt be a problem - cos if you have time to stop and brew then you have time to wait. I do like the Tatonka cos its a nice looking piece of kit and has a massive meths capacity. I havent yet tried but i will do a full fill burn over the next few days outside - maybe it wont need any additional meths (bar the primer soak) to do a brew and a heat up of grub in one go.
    Time is precious - waste it wisely

Quote Originally Posted by Ashley Cawley View Post
    Alcohol stove's aren't bulky; pop-can stove or a white-box stoves are tiny and extremely lightweight.

Could be the Vargo titanium folding hexagonal wood stove, looks like a nice simple and effective stove - I can feel a clone coming on...!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZHrE...eature=related

Paul.
    Don't sweat the small stuff - and it's ALL small stuff...!

Sure! Ashley Cawley! How are you today, M8?

Yes,I do Own a Vargo Hexagon titanium wood stove.

Pro's are.....

It's folds flat, Light, & Rust free....

One genius design.....& Very Stable on the ground. It is actually a COPY from the real originator....( It is a inside Joke..) LOL)

Uses both alcohol,fondue type fuel cans,meth & yes the wood twigs for the fuels. so in a case, you runs out of alcohol fuels you still have hope of back up plan B & it's free.... . there no fuel shops around your camping areas...that's mostly the case...LOL

I have can hobo stoves...like everybody eless here & foldable military meth stoves too. But this thing dose still takes spaces in my bag & rusts easy.
    So I feel great. I can add something eles in my bag instead.

Take it out from the bag.. Zip! Plop! then now you are ready to ignite the fire!

It takes Just a Second!!!

Now you are ready for the Controled fire & for the enviroments & no worries of causing terrible Forrest fires. Oh my! LOL

Cleaning is easy as breeze .

Clean burnt Ashes now ready to goes back to the the grounds for plants nutrients.....Ahhhh.... the cycle of life...(Father.... Dad!!!! ! I was a stupid son....)

Con's are ....Besides the ingenious design of all .....It is bit pricy...for just a titanium metal container....LOL& The quality from the factory country isn't that great. the materials of it are great though...

but, You can see many little flaws here & there ....

Yes...It is Made in China....sigh.... That's why...

It should have made in Japan , UK , or US....? it won't have that head aches...

Just take a look at "Snow peaks"'s titanium cook wares!

It's totally flawless! because those are "made in Japan" They are always top notch. they makes everything like fine Jewries with responsibilty ..

ahhhh! They are smarter & better ....lol

So far I've got any problems beside the qualities with my Vargo stove & with some touch ups by myself It serves me great so far like a good trusted old friends grinning with winning smiles at night...lol or old girl friends with her someones big fat genetically modified foods laden babies welcoming you with her big ol' flap door with little cute fire inside...makes me great smiles & makes me shout "actually , I'm an One luckiest bustard who left her !!!" ....LMAO!!

Yes, I can recommended to anybody who needs convenient stove like this one. This wood stove is suitable & perfect for one person, solo adventure trips. If you need expandable foldable stove you can check out "honey stove" it is an another wonderful stove too.
    Thank you for reading & Have a wonderful camping life !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XE1FN...eature=related
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashley Cawley View Post

Last edited by maxinpains; 29-01-2011 at 07:31 AM.

I do like the look of this Vargo Hex stove, there are now lots of vids on You Tube about it, check them out.
    Don't sweat the small stuff - and it's ALL small stuff...!