Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tatonka Stainless Steel Alcohol/Meths Stove

NaturalBushcraft Founder Ashley Cawley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JEEP View Post
    Fletching; Excellent, I'll look forward to that
    Ditto, Thanks for sharing.

Moderator & Poshcrafter™ Martin's Avatar
    Just made myself a very simple 'penny stove' to put in the Bushbuddy Cooker. My word!!! What an efficient little system that is now. less than 30ml of meths brought 0.5 litres of water to a rolling boil for several minutes (I lost count of the time )

Now, admittedly, that was in my nice warm kitchen with no wind but nevertheless it was amazingly efficient. I will do my best to do a video of it tomorrow. May take it out with me on my walk tomorrow.

Martin
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.

A great stove, fits in nicely with a number of my brew kits. Works very well in the Bushbuddy too.

I love my Tatonka

I love my Tatonka and never go on a trip without it or my dog food tin hobo stove.

Here is my cook kit packed:

Here is my cook kit unpacked:

I can use the U-shaped wires in three different places. Pushed through the lower air holes I can place the metal disc (dog food tin lid with holes) inside and it lifts my wood fire up off the bottom of the stove which creates good airflow underneath.

The second U-shaped wire sits on top to either balance my Crusader Cup or for holding skewered sausages above the fire.

If I place a U-shaped wire through holes half way up the stove and place the metal disc on it I can put my Tatonka inside the stove which now acts as a wind shield.

I always used the Tatonka lid to extinguish the burner and had no problem until recently. After using the burner for about 3/4 hour it was so hot that the rubber o-ring inside the lid melted and burst into flames. Never had a problem on shorter burn times and must remember in future to remove the o-ring before extinguishing the flame, oops!

robin

Dont extinguish using the inside of the lid (o ring side) - use the cap UPSIDE DOWN - it will still extinguish the cooker. Simples.
    Time is precious - waste it wisely

I tried to put mine out the other day with the lid upside down and the 'O' ring still caught fire and expanded. It was inside my hobo, so probably got the angle wrong. I know it's unusual, but I didn't have pliers handy and the pot grips were a bit too late at this point. Replacement ring now sought.

Moral - careful with the burner inside a hobo when extinguishing it.

Steve
    Loud words. Spoken softly. Leave no Trace!

A question or two for Tatonka users - I'm looking to get one.

Is it a bit of a slow burner (low heat output) ?

has anyone tried placing a small wick inside the fuel chamber to improve the heat output (when/if required) ?

Cheers, Paul.
    Don't sweat the small stuff - and it's ALL small stuff...!

Quote Originally Posted by Ashley Cawley View Post
    fits perfectly with my honey-stove in two different configurations:
    It's like they were made for each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Fletching View Post
    got a boil time in a Kelly Kettle of just over 11 mins
    Never thought of using it with a KK!

Quote Originally Posted by robin View Post
    the rubber o-ring inside the lid melted and burst into flames. robin
    Quote Originally Posted by Fletching View Post
    the 'O' ring still caught fire and expanded. Steve
    Thought I was the only one to suffer this fate. I didn't actually have it on that long either...I got sent a replacement O ring form Lakeland Bushcraft (in the Lake District) where I purchased it from-Top service.

I have gotten the stainless steel simmer ring, that you can get for the Tatonka burner, it does a nice job of putting out the flame. A bit irritating imho. that it just doesn't come with the burner though (it does when you buy the Multiset). Imho the simmer ring is not an accessory it is a part of the burner - and should as such come with the burner.
    Last edited by JEEP; 15-01-2011 at 09:37 PM.

Wanderer
    When the simmer ring sits on top...is that it? Or do you have to adjust the 'lid' position to adjust the flame?