Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tatonka Stainless Steel Alcohol/Meths Stove

NaturalBushcraft Founder Ashley Cawley's Avatar

Post Tatonka Stainless Steel Alcohol/Meths Stove

Well I got one of these for crimbo, fits perfectly with my honey-stove in two different configurations:

I had heard that these stoves could burn for quite a long time so I thought I'd give it a test in the shed today.

Filled right up with meths the stove burnt for 1hr 17mins & 34 seconds! Was dead impressed and it got me thinking this might not just appeal to outdoor folk; but it worked bloody well as a shed-heater as well!

The stove doesn't burn as fierce as a pop-can stove or 'the white box stove' so hence why it burns for longer, because it has a smaller, steady flame.

This stove will definitely benefit from a wind-shield when used outdoors to help the performance of that smaller, steady flame. But other than that, so far so good!

Looking forward to giving it further testing, I'll keep you updated and feel free to share your experiences with this stove.
    Ashley Cawley

Youtube | Forum | Twitter | Flickr
    Leave No Trace

Have you noticed how it primes a lot faster than the Trangia?

Hi Ashley & JEEP,

I bought one of those a couple of months ago but have never let it burn all the way out. I'm also well impressed and got a boil time in a Kelly Kettle of just over 11 mins and with an M-Kettle of about 13 mins (don't know why the M took longer, as with wood it's a little faster!). Best feature IMHO is the fact that it comes with a screw cap, so unlike the Trangia you can save meths/alcohol. It also fits neatly into both the KK and M-K for transport.

And yes, it does prime faster (under the armpit for a bit helps!).

Five stars from me!

Steve
    Loud words. Spoken softly. Leave no Trace!

...BTW, if you get the optional Tatonka stand (a ring with insert holes and 3 x 'G' shaped supports), the ring alone will lift the stove just enough inside the base of an M-Kettle to avoid any wind turbulence - a problem I noted with the KK in a high wind (still worked though!).

Steve

All Trangias I have ever seen, including the three I have myself, comes with a screw cap. Is there a version without?

The Trangia and Tatonka burners are, essentially, of the same construction. The only diffrences are the size (the Tatonka has a bigger capacity, but the same diameter as the Trangia), the material (the Trangia is made of brass and the Tatonka is stainless steel) and the fact that the simmering ring on the Tatonka is equipped with holes on the side, making it more suitable for actually simmering food.

Hi JEEP,

My mistake. Meant Vargo not Trangia. My bad.

...so much kit to play with. Gimme, gimme, gimme!

Steve

I figured it was something along that line

I am actually considering a Vargo Decagon to fit in my new bushcooker. Is it any good?

Just googled the M-Kettle; it looks quite interesting, like a space age Kelly Kettle. Any chance of a review?

Moderator & Poshcrafter™ Martin's Avatar
    Hey Jakob, I have been using a pop can stove with great results in my Bushbuddy cooker. I reckon the Decagon stove would be a nice piece of kit for it. I'd be really interested to see how you get on with it if you go for it.

Sometimes, all you want is a quick brew and the 'hassle' of finding dry wood to fire up the bushbuddy is a pain. That's when the meths burner comes in very handy. On the other hand, on my walk yesterday, I collected a pocket full of dry sticks in five minutes and had the kettle boiling ten minutes or so later so it's no real hassle I guess.

Martin
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.

Hi Jakob,

M-Kettle, yes, I'm impressed so far but I haven't taken it out on a field trip yet. It's much smaller than the KK even though it only holds about 100ml less water. I'll start a thread on the M-K v KK over the next few days. It will have to be just pics though as I don't have a video camera at the moment (don't lend to friends over Christmas etc...!).

Steve

Martin; Will do.

Fletching; Excellent, I'll look forward to that