Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Tatonka Stainless Steel Alcohol/Meths Stove

Ive been playing about with the Tatonka and Tatonka burner stand. The stand which the burner sits in is well made but fiddly as the 3 legs have a tendency to fall out or be a bit loose when assembling the unit. As well as this niggle the assembled stand is not quite big enough to steadily balance a Tatonka folding handle mug - it is literally an unsafe balancing act, tho fine for larger pots etc. However by GENTLY bending the support inserts to make them effectively slighly banana shaped the stand becomes stable AND with a slight additional bend on the arms the whole kit sits firm, secure and provides a stable base for the cup. Sorted.
    Time is precious - waste it wisely

Wanderer
    I've been sitting mine inside a bush buddy and using that as the pot stand, seems to be a good windshield too

Realbark, I did the same with my legs to fit my crusader cup on. I was lucky as I bet them just right so the the cup sits in the notches and became a lot more stable. I've now given up on the legs though as I went and bought a Honey Stove which like Paul's bush buddy acts as a great wind shield for the Tatonka and supports any cup or pan I choose to take with me. I agree with you on the problem of the legs continually falling out, it was a pain.
    Oh how I love my Tatonka.... my shiny, shiny Tatonka.... and now a shiny, shiny Honey Stove!

So I bought one of these Tatonka burners this week. I'm a big fan of penny stoves but having read the reviews here and on the web I decided to buy one.

Tried it yesterday and it's good build quality etc BUT... I can't get a good seal on the lid and so if i turn it upside down or on it's side, it leaks fuel a little.

Is this a common thing, does the seal 'bed in' with time ? or is it that i have a duff one...?

Have not put the seal anywhere near the burner when hot so I know i haven't distorted the "O" ring seal...

Paul
    Don't sweat the small stuff - and it's ALL small stuff...!

I have never had that problem with mine. If I were you, I would hand it in for a replacement.

Wanderer
    I had exactly the same issue with mine initially. I noticed at first that the screw between the cap and base wasn't knitting properly, but after a few firm twists of making sure it went on straight it seems fine. I think also once the o ring had softened slightly it formed a better seal.

Yep - tighten up then an extra nip should seal it.
    Time is precious - waste it wisely

Cheers all, I'll give the top a few turns on and off to bed it in because it did feel like it wasn't screwing well on the threads to start with and then if that doesn't do it I'll return it.

That's interesting that yours should leak too Paul. I bought a Tatonka about a month ago because they seemed to have good reviews. Unfortunately it leaked so badly I sent it back. We're not talking about a bit of seepage here, the meths just came streaming out if you turned it over despite the seal appearing to be in good condition. Probably should have gone for the good old tried and tested, no nonsense Trangia in the first place???

It was going to be a pain for me to send mine back and since it wasn't expensive, around £6.50, i decided to apply a tempory fix which works well actually if anyone has similar issues with Tatonka or Trangia burners.... I simply made a second seal ring ('o' ring) out of a piece of 3mm diameter bungi-cord with the fabric woven sleeve taken off and two ends of the bugi rubber glued with superglue. Took the original seal out, inserted home made seal into lid then put original seal ring back in on top of it and the extra 'cushion' of the home made ring lowers the seal height in the lid and hey-presto the leak is no more.

Ironically, was going for a trangia but got swayed towards tatonka because of fuel capacity but anyway, it's sorted for now.

Paul