Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Second day of the year

Second day of the year

Spending the second day of the year outside, at the campsite at Sondrup beach. First visit at this location, but not the last for sure

Horsens Fjord is completely frozen, you can walk to the other side (we saw several people do that). But, with the temeperatures rising the ice will not be safe for long
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Billede0100_WWW.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	98.1 KB 
ID:	326

Cooking tortellini w. tomato sauce on my Providus multifuel burner in Tatonka stainless steel pots, while enjoying a strong dark christmas stonebeer in my kuksa - later a cup of Tie Guan Oolong tea

Name:	Billede0103_COL_WWW.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	95.3 KB 
ID:	328Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Billede0103_BW_WWW.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	88.5 KB 
ID:	325

Enjoying a beautiful winter sundown

Name:	Billede0105_WWW.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	98.0 KB 
ID:	327

Life is good....

Looks like you had a nice day out, i'm jelous I had to go and do DIY today
    resnikov

"You can do loads in 12 minutes. Suck a mint, buy a sledge, have a fast bath"

My blog & twitter

I am not big on DIY - I prefer DIO (do it outside)

wow, is that close to where you live?

15-20 minutes drive from my home

There are a lot of spots like these around Horsens. My fiancee and I have made it a habit to spend at least one evening, every fourthnight, outside at one of these places, cooking and eating. That way we get to know our local area - and we get to practice and test our gear and outdoor skills on a regular basis.
    Some of the places we keep returning to, but we try to pick a place unknown to us every now and then. It is quite interesting to experience how the regular spots changes over the year.

A big bonus is that we newer run out of exiting places to go with our scouts.
    Last edited by JEEP; 02-01-2011 at 08:09 PM.

Do you need permission to camp or can you just pitch up anywhere? In England you have to have permission pretty well everywhere allthough some national parks are a little more relaxed. Scotland is a lot easier I believe allthough I have never camped there.

As a basic rule you are allowed to walk on any path (be it field or forrest) and any beach, be it publicly or privately owned land. Landowners cannot close existing paths and/or restrict access to beaches.

In publicly owned forests you are, unless it is a specially protected area (there will be signs informing you at the entrence of the forrest), allowed to stear of the path (showing the necessary amount of care) and you are allowed to sleep for one night in the same location. You are allowed to pitch a tent up to the size of a three person tent, with a maximum of two tents on the same location, tents must not be visuable from nearby residental buildings, camps, roads, etc. You are not allowed to use any kind of fire, including stoves and lamps. You must leave no trace of yourself when leaving the site.
    You cannot camp at beaches.

All over the country - on both public and private land - is a large number of so called primitive camping places, often located at or near places of natrual and historical interest.
    Some of these places are very basic; an open field for pitching your tent, a trashcan, a fireplace, a dry closet and a water tap (mostly open from april to october). But, most have permanent shelters (if they haven't been burned down by vandals), tables and benches, piles of free firewood (if the locals hasn't stolen it), fruit trees and sometimes even modern toilets.
    The publicly owned sites are established and maintained by The Danish Forest and Nature Agency; http://www.skovognatur.dk/International/English/ - the privatly owned are established and maintained as a cooperation between the owner and The Danish Forest and Nature Agency or the owner and the private organization "Friluftsrådet"; http://www.friluftsraadet.dk/

It is free for all to camp at these "primitive" sites, if these simple rules are followed:
    -You can only camp at the same site for two nights (some only one night, an information tablet at the site will inform you)
    -No larger groups (normally none larger than ten persons) may camp at the sites (some sites are large enough to have no specific limits)
    -You can only make fire at the designated fireplaces and you may only use the free firewood for cooking purposes. But, you are allowed to use your own stove as long as it is used in a safe manner
    -You are not allowed to damage any structures and the surrounding nature
    -You are not allowed to engage in noisy activities, such as music, motorised vehicles and parties (it is a really big problem at some sites, that the local youth use them for "mini festivals", leaving the site battered, the wildlife scared away, all the firewood burned and piles of trash laying around)
    -You must accept that others have the same right to use the site as yourself (another big problem is people treating these sites as their own private land once they have pitched their tent, trying to drive off "newcomers")

Some of the sites can be reserved by groups (like scouts or school classes) in advance, but it is actually unclear if that means that they can ask other people to leave the site. There has been some problems with that on some of the popular sites.

Some private sites will charge you a small amount pr. day for access to water and toilets, but is is not a common practice.

Information on the sites, both their whereabouts and facilities can be found on this site; http://udinaturen.skovognatur.dk/UdI...type=3&Id=1611 or by buying this book; http://www.teltpladser.dk/ (much recommended). The publicly owned sites are quite stabile, but the privately owned ones can sometimes deteriorate due to vandalism and/or lack of maintenance - or a new owner can decide to close them down (or an existing owner gets tired of seeing his shelters burned down).

As stated abowe the system is not without restrictions (very fair ones though) and problems (mostly caused by ignorance, neglect and sometimes sheer vandalism).
    But, all in all it is a great system, allowing everyone free, safe and easy access to our nature.
    Last edited by JEEP; 02-01-2011 at 09:56 PM.

Hey Jeep, looks like a great trip out, you live a lovely part of the world.

I'll have more basil with mine please...!

Paul
    Don't sweat the small stuff - and it's ALL small stuff...!

I ain't complaining, that's for sure

I actually used oregano - being out of basil, which I usually prefer.

NaturalBushcraft Founder Ashley Cawley's Avatar
    What a few in that last photo! Thanks for informing us about your camping reg's over there.