Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Flashlight strength

Quote Originally Posted by Sapper4083 View Post
    Also limited by temperature

The Cree X5 uses I have 4 CR123 batteries, the P7 takes 4 AAA. the burn time on the P7 on economy is over 100 hours which i can confirm as I use it all the time, used it last night. I use the P7 because I wanted to limit battery types I have to carry, and try to make them all the same size which thankfully I have.

I also use the P7 because its small, robust and light and 200 lumens suffices for what my needs are as I said before when Im looking for someone I use a dog much more agile, intelligent and powerful than the torch and human eye...It was a search dog that found the missing person last night

Many of my colleagues use the P14 and have nothing but praise for them and each search section carries a X221, now that the novelty has worn off its not something many would reach for very good at scene/incident lighting though
    The one I ordered uses 1 3,4 V 18650 battery. That reduces the ammount of batteries I have to carry. There was another model that I did not fancy so much, that used either one 18650 battery or thre AAA batteries in an adapter. But I did not fancy the look of it...lol

Anyway, as I said, I will put this thing to the test and see how many hours I get from it on differnet power settings. It got 3 different power settings, plus strobe + SOS blink...
    And this will be tested in cold weather conditions...

And yes , always keep your batteries warm.

Got another enactode on that. A friend of mine was on a military excercise in the late 90'ies with the US MArines here in Norway in winter. The Marines had all the bells and whistles, and being young, they also bragged about it...this was night vision gear, GPS etc...

He used to shut them up by asking how long the batteries lasted in minus 30 celcius...lol
    And how heavy are the batteries, and remind them that while they where hauling their half dead batteries, he would be carrying ammo....lol
    Last edited by FishyFolk; 22-08-2012 at 11:57 AM.
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

Well, my flashlights have both arrived. I say both because the first one I purchased, the Ultrafire C8 was a tad bulky in the business end. So I got another less bulky looking light to go in the Bushcraft EDC now that evenings are dark again.
    But I was caught in the old order online trap. As I only went by the pictures, and forgot to check the actual dimensions of it. So the second light, turned out to be longer than the Ultrafire, and the same widht in the business end. So now that one will have to do the intended job for the Ultrafire, while the ultrafire goes into the EDC bag...until I can afford to go shopping again.

Also A nice bonus...the caps for my deodorant sticks is kind of a cloudy white see trough kind of thing. Like the old fashioned light bulbs. And it fits perfectly over the busibness end of both flashlights, effectively making them into lightbulbs. Get a very nice light, that lights up a whole room. Perfect for a tent, or for cooking light when it's dark...

Else the quality of the lights...the Ultrafire C8 is actually really good. Feels solid, and gets good reviews too. The second one I am not so sure of. Feels more rickety, perhaps due to the zoom ring it has.
    But that will be the familly utility flashlight, to hang in the entrance hall, if we lose electricity, or something...so confident it will do that job.

Ultrafire C8

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	UltraFire_C8_CREE_Q5.jpg 
Views:	240 
Size:	24.2 KB 
ID:	5389
    Last edited by FishyFolk; 18-09-2012 at 11:29 AM.
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

Hi all, I was interested to read all your comments about torches, I wanted a torch and like everyone else, it had to do everything! I went down the road that the more powerful and brighter it was the better, then how heavy? how big? how long the batteries lasted? how much the batteries were to replace and the cost of the torch, there's a trade off on these things depending on what you want the torch for, I found eventually, one that suits me as far as weight, size, and brightness is concerned so I've added the link below so it might give others some more idea of what they might be looking for in a torch, all the best, Chris. http://www.fenixtorch.co.uk/led_torches/fenix-pd32.html

I had a Fenix P2D, I lost it on a search, dropped it into a reservoir never to be seen again - fiddlesticks. Not a bad torch but I my prefer Led Lenser
    [

I have a LED Lenser X21 and its rated at 1080 lumens
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/led-lenser-x21-torch-228373
    To get a smaller handheld torch that produces 1800 lumens is hopefull at best.
    All these manufacturers claim there torch gives out so many lumens. How do we know if its correct.
    I have seen them on ebay and deal extreme and in the flesh they are no more than average.

Hi, just looked at the lenser, I expect you need it for what you do but I can manage with the fenix, as I said, depends what you need in a torch, all respect for what you do but I'm just an old guy that just needs to be able to see enough not to walk in to anything! lol The senser looks as though it could fry eggs!

I use a Led Lenser P7 hand torch and a H7R head torch...I couldnt justify having an X21 either.
    [

Been using a Klarus XT11 for about 12months - 600Lumens!!
    Also have LED Lenser P7 & T7 but the Klarus is a searchlight in comparison - has 3 modes including a strobe.....

Quote Originally Posted by sblog View Post
    Been using a Klarus XT11 for about 12months - 600Lumens!!
    Also have LED Lenser P7 & T7 but the Klarus is a searchlight in comparison - has 3 modes including a strobe.....
    I have a 700 lumen Cree x3 too point is that generally when using a torch i dont need to bathe the whole world in light, just enough to see with. The big lumen jobs only come out when searching and generally in that case I have something thousands of times more powerful than any torch...my dogs nose
    [

The Klarus is too bright to used as a torch around camp and I use my Petzl Tikka headtorch for that - searching and distraction is what the Klarus is good for.....