Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Flashlight strength

Quote Originally Posted by paulthefish2009 View Post
    Mate got to say if your looking for that sort of power then small and cheap wont come into it,as johnny and jakob said 1-200 is plenty.if the little one is a bit of a escape artist can i suggest you move your door handles up? good old maglites for me,tough,cheap and plenty of battery life. Paul
    I have those. They are not even close to enough when it's wet and dark...
    I want a search and rescue rated light. And I have found some reasonable priced ones, that get good reviews...and as I said, having the capabillity does not mean you have to use it that way. These lights have variable power settings for everyday use.
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

This video illustrates perfectly why I want this strength light:
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

LED Lenser P14.......used by SAR teams all across the UK. I use a P7 for search work although when looking for people I use a dog.... much better than us looking. In fact just come back in from a moorland job where the missing person was found by one of our dogs
    [

What I wonder is what is the "burn" time of the torch that is in the video? There seem to be a lot of these small high power torches all over ebay, usually with some form of rechargable battery. How good they are is anyone's guess. I bought one and to say that it was a bit of a disappointment for "burn" time would be an understatement.

I use the Led Lenser L7 because they are affordable and also use them as a gun light on the .243 I have a few of them and would have to say that they haven't failed me yet.

I should imagine that the big LED Lenser is a pretty gucci bit of kit. It's just rather a lot for a torch at £280 / 2600kr - This bad boy
    Only my dog can judge me

http://www.devilark.com.au/

Quote Originally Posted by happybonzo View Post
    What I wonder is what is the "burn" time of the torch that is in the video? There seem to be a lot of these small high power torches all over ebay, usually with some form of rechargable battery. How good they are is anyone's guess. I bought one and to say that it was a bit of a disappointment for "burn" time would be an understatement.

I use the Led Lenser L7 because they are affordable and also use them as a gun light on the .243 I have a few of them and would have to say that they haven't failed me yet.

I should imagine that the big LED Lenser is a pretty gucci bit of kit. It's just rather a lot for a torch at £280 / 2600kr - This bad boy
    The sellers/producers brag abaout 180 minutes of burn time on full power for the one I ended up purchasing for a lot less than 280£....I am paying 20$ including battery+charger.
    What the reviews say is 30 minutes.

I won't actually use this light much. My main light will be a 5£, 5 led cheap head light that lasts forever. Also I will probaly only use it on the lowest of the 3 power settings 99% of the time I do use it.
    But it's nice to have the ability. The light I've ordered is this one:

Cree XM-L T6 LED 1300LM UltraFire C8 5-Mode Flashlight

Cree is a well known brand, and they actually make the business end of the led lenser flashlights0, and reviews have been okay...
    But I'll be sure to review it several times trough the life span of this flashlight...
    (Roald Amundsen)

I have a led lenser p7 which has a burn time of about 8 hours on full power. I have a Cree x5 which manages about 4 hours. We have 4 led lenser x221 in the team for scene lighting and searches. They are heavy and unweildy and last less than 3hours on full burn
    [

Thanks FishyFolk and Sapper4083. These are the sort of figures that potential purchasers want, the results from people's own experience. This one of the greatest strengths of this forum in that the people who do contribute with posts know what they're talking about.

The manufacturers can quote what ever results they like and I'm sure that they are, generally, to be trusted. There is always the temptation to put the best result down though.
    Only my dog can judge me

http://www.devilark.com.au/

Quote Originally Posted by happybonzo View Post
    Thanks FishyFolk and Sapper4083. These are the sort of figures that potential purchasers want, the results from people's own experience. This one of the greatest strengths of this forum in that the people who do contribute with posts know what they're talking about.

The manufacturers can quote what ever results they like and I'm sure that they are, generally, to be trusted. There is always the temptation to put the best result down though.
    I treat all battery life times like that. Just look at the battery on your smart phone, or your laptop computer. The producers say one thing, but experience is often quite another...
    Fortunately rechareable batteries are one of the things you find really cheap on Ebay. I bought 4 of them to go with this flashlight.

Anyway, i will review this light, probably a written one here plus a video review, and follow up when it has seen some use, to tell you how
    the quallity actually proves to be...
    (Roald Amundsen)

Quote Originally Posted by Sapper4083 View Post
    I have a led lenser p7 which has a burn time of about 8 hours on full power. I have a Cree x5 which manages about 4 hours. We have 4 led lenser x221 in the team for scene lighting and searches. They are heavy and unweildy and last less than 3hours on full burn
    Burn time is also affected by what capacity battery you put in them...i. Ampere pr hour...the Led Lenser p7 also has a Cree led in it.
    (Roald Amundsen)

Quote Originally Posted by FishyFolk View Post
    Burn time is also affected by what capacity battery you put in them...i. Ampere pr hour...the Led Lenser p7 also has a Cree led in it.
    Also limited by temperature

The Cree X5 uses I have 4 CR123 batteries, the P7 takes 4 AAA. the burn time on the P7 on economy is over 100 hours which i can confirm as I use it all the time, used it last night. I use the P7 because I wanted to limit battery types I have to carry, and try to make them all the same size which thankfully I have.

I also use the P7 because its small, robust and light and 200 lumens suffices for what my needs are as I said before when Im looking for someone I use a dog much more agile, intelligent and powerful than the torch and human eye...It was a search dog that found the missing person last night

Many of my colleagues use the P14 and have nothing but praise for them and each search section carries a X221, now that the novelty has worn off its not something many would reach for very good at scene/incident lighting though
    Last edited by Silverback; 22-08-2012 at 11:12 AM.
    [