Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Flashlight strength

I'm a big led lenser fan. I have a p7 and a m7, both are the same but the m7 has a micro processor in it which allows you to use a number of settings.( the defensive strobe light on it actually blinded me for about a minute. I guess that's where it's name is from.) I also have a p14 which is the same as the p7 but bigger. I also have a h14r head torch which is brilliant! As for timings on how they last i would agree with Sapper on the p7, the p14 that's also the same as the p7. The m7 doesn't quite last as long but still lasts long enough.
    Cheers Dave

Quote Originally Posted by sblog View Post
    The Klarus is too bright to used as a torch around camp and I use my Petzl Tikka headtorch for that - searching and distraction is what the Klarus is good for.....
    Dont need to distract and I'll trust my dogs nose over the human eye by torchlight..... white or IR anyday
    [

I use a EagleTac T20C2 at the moment. But if you are looking for a small and powerfull torch in good quality, the Zebralight SC600 might be the right choice.

You have to be carefull, because the Lumens aren't always the same. What I mean is, if you buy a torch from china, they'll often tell you, that you will get more than 1000 Lumens. But if you compare this torch to another quality-torch (for example from Fenix, EagleTac, Olight, ...) it is not nearly that bright, even if the Lumens from the quality-torches aren't that much on the paper.
    Also you have to look, if the Lumens, they tell you are ANSI or LED-Lumens! You can't compare these two. Look for the ANSI-Lumens, because that is a standard method to messure. The LED-Lumen don't say anything about the brightness.

And if you want to see, what a quality torch can stand, then you should watch this video
    Olight M20 Warrior - Extreme Test
    “Yesterday is history,
    tomorrow is a mystery,
    but today is a gift.
    That's why it is called the present

And another thing:
    If you buy some 18650 batteries, you have to be carefull too. These are Lithium-batteries. You'll need a good recharger for these kind of batterie, because they should not be loaded too much (not more than 4,2V). And they also should not be complete empty, because they will damage (not below 3,5V).

There are some informations on the interenet, where these batteries were exploded, because of the wrong handling!

(I know these things, because torches are another of my hobbies )
    Last edited by Psycho; 13-02-2013 at 08:21 PM.
    “Yesterday is history,
    tomorrow is a mystery,
    but today is a gift.
    That's why it is called the present

Trapper
    The beautiful San Joaquin valley in California in the U.S.A
    Be careful about the rated lumens . Many are not true,especially the ones from China and Singapore.

Trapper
    The beautiful San Joaquin valley in California in the U.S.A
    I have three that I bought @ Costco for $20.00 for all of them, 320lumens and their bright as hell !!

Small hand flashlight looks like EDC one. If you want 1000+ lumens, it is more powerfull light, which is usually big and costs around $150-$200. I mean high quality flashlight.
    My neighbor purchased Armytek Barracuda. Yes, impressive thrower. Don't remember exact price of it, but may be it's about $130. You can see your way for some hundred meters, I suppose.

I have an ebay cree ultrafire torch which does everything I need, but is a chinese copy, take a look at the ultrafire website for sources of copies, it gives websites, genuine ultrafire torches are expensive. But I have to say my copy is great...time will tell on longevity
    Campfires are best shared with friends.

For flashlight ratings it's worth reading up on the ANSI FL1 standards, most reliable flashlight brands will have this printed it on the package.
    "It's not a real adventure when you have to pay for it." - Edmund Hillary
    Always searching for the best survival gear.