Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bivi Bag??

Moderator & Poshcrafter™ Martin's Avatar

Bivi Bag??

We've all seen, and most of us have commented on, various posts over the years on the pros and cons of the bivi bag.

I have a military surplus MVP bag from Endicotts which is waterproof, breathable and on the large side and yet, I make it no secret of the fact that I detest these things having spent a few very uncomfortable nights out in one.

The principal, I get, which is why I bought one in the first place. The reality, in my opinion, is far more uncomfortable.

I have seen numerous threads where people are really excited at getting their new bivi bag, but I have yet to see anyone post that they are now 'converted' and that it is their shelter of choice from now on.

So, guys with your bivi bags. Is it your shelter of choice? Are you converted? Or, do you, like me, think it's a good idea but falls very short of the mark?

Martin
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.

Does my Jerven bag quallify as a bivvi bag?

I use it mostly as a water proof shell for my sleeping bag, and for extra insulation and warmth. As a bivvi bag I would only use it, or any other as an emergency shelter, to get out of the weather if manure goes flying etc....

For a camp out that I actually plan I take a tent as my shelter (would love to try a hammock)...

Also I am quite a restless sleeper as my wife will tell you. So I need my space.
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

I use mine in in my tent as a just in case because the tent leaked once. Apart from that it's used as a waterproof Bergen linrr for my sleeping bag and underquilt.

I have used the older olive green bivi bag the newer dpm bivi a Mountain range one and a Phoenix mountaineering one and they all have one thing in common and that is once you are in it and it rains you are very restricted for cooking or doing pretty much anything.
    You could add a tarp but then you may as well have a tent.
    I have a Highlander Falcon bivi tent which gives me enough room to hang a lantern and read a book but I still need a tarp to cook under in the rain which makes the carry about the same as my comfy , roomy tent.
    I have a Lichfield treklite 200 tent which is really good quality and very similar to the Vango banshee 200 and it is a much better option than a bivi and tarp in bad weather.
    I have decided to save up and maybe get a Terra nova tent, after reading your trip report from Dartmoor Martin I can see that it is worth spending a little more to have truly functional kit.
    Last edited by cuppa joe; 14-08-2012 at 08:40 PM.
    oh well try again

Trapper
    My bivi bag gets an outing only when I'm going as ultra light as possible and conditions don't suite a tarp (e.g. doing an overnight high on hills where there may not be much in the way of anything but rock). I'm far from claustrophobic but if the weather turns bad I hate having my head inside and breathing right up against the material.

My DD travel hammock & a tarp get far more use as I can manage to use them in one form or another in most places. For me there is something psychologically pleasing about having a bit of shelter that I can move about under whether that is in a tent or with a tarp. A bivi simply doesn't give me that same feel.

If I'm with a climbing buddy and conditions are likely to be severe we will split my Vango Hurricane 200 between us but at 4Kg it's rare that we would use it for much other than short distance trips in the winter or as a base camp tent when we are bagging peaks all in one area.

I must admit to that feeling of excitement when I first picked the bivi up but no, I'm very much not a convert. Hammocks for the win!

I've only used my bivi bag twice, both times last October camping, first night I just set up a tarp tent over it and stuck my sleeping bag inside (was pissing rain), and the second night I slept in my tent, but used the bivi over my sleeping bag again. Wasn't too bad, just a waterproof sleeping bag shell in my mind.

I don't mind a night on the deck but I'm usually in the hammock, trees aren't normally a problem where I go.

I often use a lightweight bivvy and tarp for backpacking trips when camping up high, it's been a long time since I bivvied down next to a fire in the woods though, I must try it again sometime.

Samuel Hearne
    I have used the issue bivi bag many times when in the army and used them for when i go rough camping or fishing they have kept my sleeping bag dry many a time, i have used them without a sleeping bag and ended up feeling cold, also used to put up a basha when possible to use as admin area.

I have only ever used mine without a tarp when sleeping out on the beach or coastpath when I can be 100% sure of no rain. The reason I use it in this situation is to stop the mornin dew from soaking my dossbag and to protect my thermarest from the rough ground. Theym ok with a tarp, I wouldn't sleep on the floor under tarp without mine, but if the forecast is grim, I wouldn't be using it on its own.
    Storms have a way of teaching what nothing else can.

ALWAYS Leave a Trace

I must admit that I'm fond of my bivvy bag. I'll agree and say that if you roll it out in a bad spot you'll get a bad night. But there is something thrilling about looking up through the tree canopy at night that makes all the bad points of the bivvy.....not so bad. It also helps to have a lightweight tarp on standby for bad weather, or if not that then a tolerence to wetness. What I like most about the bivvy is it's convenience. I usually carry my mat, sleeping bag and bivvy all rolled up in one, then it's just a case of unrolling it - which only takes seconds. It's very handy when hiking as you can walk till quite late. Then in the morning it's just a case of rolling it up and strapping it to your bag. (On a side note it helps if you have a bag with decent rollmat straps.)

So although it's can be a massive pain sometimes I find the bivvy the most versatile - it has a pioneer spirit about it. But most importantly it suits me. So if you buy one don't expect luxury but you should have a good time. But try to use it when the weather's good.
    Do you want to be happy or do you want to be normal?