Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1st night in a Snugpak Jungle Hammock

1st night in a Snugpak Jungle Hammock

Last night I tried the Snugpak jungle hammock and was very surprised and pleased with it. I followed the youtube videos for hanging a DD hammock as the design seems very similar and I should think the lay and comfort level of the Snugpak and DD would be very similar.
    I didn’t want to snag the bugnet so I tied short pieces to thin cord to the tie out loops on the bugnet using a larkshead knot. I used this cord to tie short sticks to the bugnet to spread it out. I hung these sticks from a paracord ridgeline that I had hung UNDER the tarp using shockcord, this was to prevent the net from ripping when the hammock sagged with my weight.
    My Snugpak underquilt was hung from the loops on the tarp where I had tied the ridgeline using shockcord, I had never tried this before. Hanging the quilt this way pulled the quilt up tighter to the hammock and closed the ends which before (on my Hennessy) had always hung loose allowing wind into the gap between the quilt and the hammock.
    I was expecting the hammock to feel banana-like and very narrow and grip my shoulders; this was not exactly the case. When I 1st got into the hammock it did feel a bit narrow compared to the Hennessy this feeling soon disappeared and I was surprised at how roomy the hammock actually felt, even though the bugnet was hung a bit loose as I was paranoid about ripping it due to the hammock being borrowed. I felt no calf pressure; there was plenty of room for my feet without them being squashed against the edge of the hammock. I could even lie on my side which I was very surprised at.
    For the 1st time ever in a hammock I did not wake during the night in pain due to ankles being bent at odd angles or pressure points from the hammock or underquilt cord cutting across my neck because it’s slipped under the hammock. The only time I woke was when the thunder and lightning woke me, which I didn’t mind at all.
    The underquilt when used on the Hennessy had always been draughty and I was going to start using the inflatable mattress again but the because the way in which I had hung the quilt and the fact that the Snugpak hammock is narrower than the Hennessy the quilt was tight underneath me but not so tight as to prevent loft. It also came high up the sides, cocoon like keeping me very warm, so warm that I didn’t use my sleeping bag and slept only in my boxers (sorry for the scary image). I will try this method of hanging the underquilt when I next use the Hennessy.

There are a couple of issues I had with the Snugpak hammock.
    • The bugnet compared to the Hennessy bugnet looks and feels extremely easy to rip.
    • The loops on the bugnet for attaching spreader bars/sticks are made from the same material as the bugnet and look easy to rip.
    • The material of the actual hammock looks very thin.
    • Paracord suspension.
    • The bugnet could do with webbing sewn from the hammock on one side right across the ‘roof’ where the spreader bars are to the other side of the hammock to prevent over-tightening ripping the net.
    • The Ridgeline organiser on the Hennessy I find very useful for holding my head torch and camcorder during the night. In the Snugpak hammock I wouldn’t even like to rig up a ridgline organiser as the net looks to weak to hold it.
    However dealing with these issues would make the hammock heavier and bulkier. The hammock as it is packs down to a ball slightly larger than my fist and weighs next to nothing.

There is a hammock available that as far as I can tell is exactly the same as the Snugpak hammock but has dealt with the issues I have with it making it seem perfect for ME….. The DD hammocks, I shall shortly be purchasing the DD Frontline hammock.

Thanks for your views on this. Its interesting to get an idea of the construction and packed size of the Snugpak hammock as I use the DD Travel and am looking for something on the smaller side of things. The DD is a very good hammock and will continue to be used, probably by my son when he comes out with me, but on my quest for a smaller and lighter pack this may well be the answer as I was struggling to find something suitable with a bug net incorporated (you should see the size of my arm due to the swelling from recent bites!).

Quote Originally Posted by jus_young View Post
    Thanks for your views on this. Its interesting to get an idea of the construction and packed size of the Snugpak... am looking for something on the smaller side of things.... but on my quest for a smaller and lighter pack this may well be the answer....
    I have to admit I am slightly torn as to whether I buy a Snugpak or a DD... I tend to purchase equipment that is built like the proverbial 'brick out house' and will last years, but the pack size and weight of the Snugpak is unbelievable (though I have experience of only the Hennessy). I have a karrimor Panther 65L bergen and I just about manage to squash my DD 3X3 and MSR fuel bottle into one of the side pouches. On this trip I managed to get the Snugpak hammock in there as well. I pack my Hennessy hammock by shoving it into my bivi which I use as a bergen liner with the underquilt still attached, this way I can still compress the sleeping bag and underquilt but every nook and cranny gets filled unlike compressing before putting in the bergen, but If I were to pack the Hennessy on it's own it would not fit into an EMPTY side pocket on the bergen.

As soon as I get the chance I'll post a pic of the Hennessy and Snugpak packed up side by side and also weigh them both.

Quote Originally Posted by GwersyllaCnau View Post
    As soon as I get the chance I'll post a pic of the Hennessy and Snugpak packed up side by side and also weigh them both.
    Can you tell me if the netting is different sized? I'm led to believe that the American hammocks have bigger holes as they don't suffer from midges.

I know the Ukhammocks "Woods-man X" model uses a really fine weave of netting for this purpose.

How about the DD and Snugpak versions?

Are they indeed midge proof?

Quote Originally Posted by suggy View Post
    Can you tell me if the netting is different sized? I'm led to believe that the American hammocks have bigger holes as they don't suffer from midges.

I know the Ukhammocks "Woods-man X" model uses a really fine weave of netting for this purpose.

How about the DD and Snugpak versions?

Are they indeed midge proof?

I have no idea but I was eaten alive by midges until I got in the Hammock.

The Hennessy with snakeskins, whoopie slings and tree straps weighs 1188g
    The Snugpak with tree straps and paracord suspension weighs 655g
    When I said that the Snugpak packs down to a ball not much larger than my fist it was a slight exaggeration, The can in the pic is 440ml.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0441.jpg 
Views:	520 
Size:	80.3 KB 
ID:	5242

That gives a good idea of the size. As a comparison here are the DD Travel Hammock and DD 3x3 Tarp. The can used is the large tin of soup that is very similar in size to the can used before.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0030.jpg 
Views:	1182 
Size:	95.3 KB 
ID:	5243

The hammock bag contains hammock, whoopie slings, structural ridge line, tree huggers and 'biners. The whoopies and ridge line are dyneema so take up no space at all. Weight 1.25kg

The tarp bag contains the tarp, ridge line, 'biners, shockcord for pegging out and the pegs themselves. Weight 1.3kg

That was a bit of a suprise when I weighed those!

Oh, and the DD is indeed midgeproof.

That looks about the same packed size as the Hennessy. One question I do hqve about the DD, can you turn it over and use it as an open hammock. You can with the snugpak hammock.

It certainly makes the Snugpak more appealing when trying to fit everything in a 46L pack. If I could find a similar sized tarp that packs down smaller, I would be very happy.

This may sound like a silly question but it is not intended to be -

Who makes the Snugpak hammock as it does not feature on their website LINK

I see that Heinnie Haynes, Greenman Bushcraft and others carry it. The hammock is not mentioned on the manufacturers website so is it discontinued?
    Last edited by happybonzo; 14-08-2012 at 05:01 AM. Reason: biff typing
    Only my dog can judge me

http://www.devilark.com.au/

I have asked the very same thing myself before on another thread somewhere so you are not alone It's still current but not on any of their sites. They have another site www.snugpakbushcraft.co.uk which has the underquilt on but not the hammock
    Last edited by jus_young; 14-08-2012 at 10:34 AM.