Thread: Wild Camping/Hiking Newbie - Need Some Advice

Moderator & Poshcrafter™ Martin's Avatar
    My recommended kit list for one night and two days hiking would be:

Rucksack
    Tent
    Sleeping bag
    Sleep mat
    Waterproofs
    Stove with fuel and fire steel to light it. If you're taking a Trangia, there is no need to carry all the pans as they are all extra weight.
    Billy (if you're not taking the Trangia)
    Cup if you really must have a hot drink, otherwise drink out of the bottle.
    Spork
    First aid kit (basic to control bleeding, maybe some pain killers but not much else unless you are trained to use it)
    Map and compass and someone who knows how to use both
    Water carrier (the lighter the better)
    Toilet paper and a trowel for use in emergency
    Food and water or water purification if there will be a reliable source of clean water.
    Emergency rations to be used only in an emergency!!!
    Small pocket knife. No need for a survival knife or survival tool or multi-tool as they are all extra weight.

In my very humble opinion (and from bitter experience) you are out there to enjoy the walk and the camping, not to lug around a load of kit you probably won't need.

When you get home, go through your kit and look at all the stuff you didn't use (except for the emergency kit). Take it out and don't take it next time.

Please let us know how you get on.

Martin
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.

Thanks Martin.

When I was first looking into getting into hiking/wild camping I was quite interested in going as light as possible so I was going to do my own hobo stove set (tin can,shelf,penny stove etc). I then opted to get a Pocket Stove which i was going to use with a penny stove or twigs and my Crusader Mug. Even though I did purchase the Pocket Stove I have now since got a Trangia set which although obviously takes up more space it is however quite light and very useful. As I am only just getting into this I think I'll take/try both on my first few trips until I decide which style of kit I prefer and probably take one or other depending on how long I'm going for or what type of location etc.

I have just added these to my wish list on ebay which I'll be be buying in next few days unless you have better/cheaper alternatives...

Ill post a list/links of all my current items etc soon, some of which I wont be taking, see if anybody has any thoughts etc
    Last edited by ADz; 30-07-2012 at 11:20 PM.

Samuel Hearne
    On a personal note i would make up my own first aid kit, sapper has provided a list of simple over the counter bits to put in which is a good start, get some basic first aid training if you have not been trained, if you do take some basic drugs make sure you know how to use them dosage, side effects ect.

Don't buy a FAK... make your own you can buy bits and bobs from pound shops, pop it in a waterproof bag and voila.

Avoid alcohol wipes, a nice bit of coal tar or carbolic soap never hurt

The drugs/ preparations I mentioned are all over the counter meds which are perfectly safe if used when following the usage/dosage/indications/contraindications instructions supplied unless of course you have known allergies to NSAIDs/certain analgesics or the excipients in drugs.

A simple aide memoire can be made up and laminated and added to your kit to remind you of dosages etc.

As for First Aid training I know a very good company that can help you out with that
    [

Quote Originally Posted by jbrown14 View Post
    Looks like it's in the UK and the European Alps that it's 6 blasts. Well, I learned something today.
    Our reply here is 3 blasts / flashes although sometimes the lost folk have a habit of stopping when they hear it.
    [

Hello.

I don't know about there, but down here (Honduras), insects are a problem when you use a head torch. Bugs fly straight to your face. So I would suggest to use the head torch when under the tarp/shelter, and the hand torch when outside. But, like I said, probably that happens only in this tropical region, where some really big insects are flying at night.

Thanks!

Elmer