Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Good woodlands in the north west

Peasant

Good woodlands in the north west

Not sure if this is the right place to post this - sorry if I am wrong - but just wondered where to find good woodlands to use in the north west.

I'm now based on the coast in Southport, Sefton so plenty of Coastal walks I know about but genuine good sized woods...

Any help on places to go would be really helpful so I can start getting back into the feel of being in the bush - so to speak!

Trapper
    Hi Rob I'll be interested to read anything here too.

I'm heading to Delamere Forest in a couple of weeks to take my middle daughter for her first hammock camp. I've not wild camped there since I was a kid (which is now more than a few summers ago!). In fact I was just looking over my OS map in Memory-Map and trying to decide roughly where to head to.

Well under £20 quid return on the train from Southport (I always prefer going on the train when I wild camp it's more of an adventure!)

I think you might struggle to find any decent sized woods round your way, but I remember from my misspent youth that are some wooded areas up the 'posh end' of Greater Scousershire between Formby and Crosby, near Thornton. If you fancy your chances down the scally end, you have Stockton Woods at Speke Hall, not far from the airport.

But for decent woodland I think you would have to head for Lancashire, Cheshire or North Wales (the land of liquid sunshine)

I would be interested to know if you find somewhere decent, as I'll be up visiting family at some point between now and New Year and it would be handy to have some where to sneak off to, when my less evolved cousins are inebriated to the extent they can only communicate using the vowels A and E.

Good luck.
    Ansum La

Why not visit us in the Peak District or the Trough of Bowland ? The Lakes and North Wales arent far as previously mentioned
    [

Peasant
    Gosh didn't realise it had been so long since I was on this forum! That's the trouble with having two hobby interests and a busy family!

Well after a bit of a search I have found quite a few smallish woods that could be good for some stealth camping. A couple of the larger ones I am pretty interested in but need to check with the local farmers as they are right on their doorsteps. Once I have some firmer details I will let you know.

From what kernowek seemed to be describing it sounds like one of the set of woodlands I currently work in just off the side of Thornton by Little Crosby, Currently in the process of turning part of the area into a bushcraft school as an addition to our Outdoor centre located near by, anyone is more than welcome to camp out/practice bushcraft here if they don't mind helping out with a bit of site maintenance i.e.. clearing wood & coppicing. let me know what you think.

plenty of wooded areas up my area bud, get yourself to the lake district..

Quote Originally Posted by WaywardWildman View Post
    From what kernowek seemed to be describing it sounds like one of the set of woodlands I currently work in just off the side of Thornton by Little Crosby, Currently in the process of turning part of the area into a bushcraft school as an addition to our Outdoor centre located near by, anyone is more than welcome to camp out/practice bushcraft here if they don't mind helping out with a bit of site maintenance i.e.. clearing wood & coppicing. let me know what you think.
    pm'd.
    you call that a knife...

Nice one fella, next time I'm up visiting family, I'll give you a shout.
    Ansum La

Trapper
    Hi mate,

I would be willing to volunteer to do some labour around the wood, sp please pm me.
    Cheers,
    Phil