Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 21

Thread: Thread to use for sheath making?

  1. #11
    Tribal Elder Humakt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    The hills of Sartar
    Posts
    1,014
    I use linen thread bought from Hobbycraft. It's available in a variety of colours (I tend to go for the brown one).
    Buying it from Hobbycraft may not be the most cost-effective way of purchasing thread if you're planning on doing a lot of leatherwork, but for the occasional, hobby, leatherist (is that a word? It is now!) then it's convenient, readily-available, and inexpensive enough (I think it's a couple of quid for about 5m of the stuff - which lasts me a while).
    'What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare' - William Henry Davies

    Kestrels:
    https://foraknave.wordpress.com/

    Thinking:
    https://thinkingthink.wordpress.com/

  2. #12
    Tribal Elder biker-bri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    wrexham north Wales
    Posts
    1,360
    Hi Kingpin, the mistake we all make when starting to sew for the first time, is pulling the thread too tight when doing the cross stitch - which then cuts into the leather as it is still pliable after moulding.
    There are plenty of tutorials on You tube showing how to do the cross stitch, and when you have done it once you wont forget - like riding a bike - take your time, try on a few scraps first and you will soon get the hang of it.
    If you are going to drill the stitch holes use a drill slightly smaller than the needle you are using that way the holes arnt obvious when you are done.

    Cheers Bri
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Celti...517813?fref=ts
    To grow to be old and wise, you first have to be young and foolish
    I have everything I need - it's just the want's that are missing .

  3. #13
    Trapper kINGPIN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Cambridgeshire
    Posts
    162
    Quote Originally Posted by Humakt View Post
    I use linen thread bought from Hobbycraft. It's available in a variety of colours (I tend to go for the brown one).
    Buying it from Hobbycraft may not be the most cost-effective way of purchasing thread if you're planning on doing a lot of leatherwork, but for the occasional, hobby, leatherist (is that a word? It is now!) then it's convenient, readily-available, and inexpensive enough (I think it's a couple of quid for about 5m of the stuff - which lasts me a while).
    I hadn't even thought of hobbycraft, I've never even been in one but I often see them about. I'll check it out.

    Quote Originally Posted by biker-bri View Post
    Hi Kingpin, the mistake we all make when starting to sew for the first time, is pulling the thread too tight when doing the cross stitch - which then cuts into the leather as it is still pliable after moulding.
    There are plenty of tutorials on You tube showing how to do the cross stitch, and when you have done it once you wont forget - like riding a bike - take your time, try on a few scraps first and you will soon get the hang of it.
    If you are going to drill the stitch holes use a drill slightly smaller than the needle you are using that way the holes arnt obvious when you are done.

    Cheers Bri
    Thanks for the advice Bri, I haven't got a dremel yet so I'll just be using an awl for now. I assume the crossstitch is the same as the saddlestitch isn't it? If so, then I tried it out the other night and picked it up ok, although I was only using thin sewing thread from my Mrs sewing box. One thing I couldn't see on any of the vids was, how do I finish the stitch off? ...do I tie it, cut it or what?

  4. #14
    Tribal Elder Humakt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    The hills of Sartar
    Posts
    1,014
    Quote Originally Posted by kINGPIN View Post
    One thing I couldn't see on any of the vids was, how do I finish the stitch off? ...do I tie it, cut it or what?
    That's easy enough. Just go back on yourself for half dozen or so stitches. Then just cut the thread off. By the time the leather has relaxed and you've put dye on the leather it will have expanded enough to grip the thread. Although I also tend to put a dab of superglue on it as well - but make sure you do this after dyeing the leather (because the dye won't penetrate the superglue) but before you polish it.
    'What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare' - William Henry Davies

    Kestrels:
    https://foraknave.wordpress.com/

    Thinking:
    https://thinkingthink.wordpress.com/

  5. #15
    Tribal Elder biker-bri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    wrexham north Wales
    Posts
    1,360
    Quote Originally Posted by Humakt View Post
    That's easy enough. Just go back on yourself for half dozen or so stitches. Then just cut the thread off. By the time the leather has relaxed and you've put dye on the leather it will have expanded enough to grip the thread. Although I also tend to put a dab of superglue on it as well - but make sure you do this after dyeing the leather (because the dye won't penetrate the superglue) but before you polish it.
    There you go, I have just learned something new - superglue - never would have thought of that one thanks Humakt.
    I found a Tutorial over on British Blades, written by a user by the name of Tiffers which really helped clear things up for me when I started out, words with clear photographs can be so much more helpful.
    I hope this link works!!!!!
    http://www.britishblades.com/forums/...-needles/page4

    I can't do the cross thing she does with the needles, but I do tie a knot on every stitch otherwise all you are doing is a running stitch, which can unravel if a thread breaks.
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Celti...517813?fref=ts
    To grow to be old and wise, you first have to be young and foolish
    I have everything I need - it's just the want's that are missing .

  6. #16
    Trapper kINGPIN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Cambridgeshire
    Posts
    162
    Cheers Humakt. Thats easier then I thought it would be. Great tip on the superglue.

    Thanks for the link bri, that explains a lot. The poster definatly knows what he/she is doing. Thats going to take a bit of practice to get the hang of.

  7. #17
    Trapper kINGPIN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Cambridgeshire
    Posts
    162
    I bought this stuff in the end. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3900814092...84.m1497.l2649 It arrived within a few days. First impression are that its very strong and looks good quality. My only problem is that I can't get it through the needle. I've tried everything like wax, a singing with a lighter, cutting neatly etc. The biggest ones I have are sz 2.0, so I bought some size 3 needles from Bowstock today, hopefully that should sort it.

    My leather is on its way today. In the end I bought a full shoulder from le prevo, looking at the size of the thing I think that will be me sorted for some time, although I will be buying straps soon aswell.

    I should be starting my first sheath this week for my modified MOD knife.



    Thanks for all the help guys.

  8. #18
    Tribal Elder biker-bri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    wrexham north Wales
    Posts
    1,360
    TIP, before you start to wet form your sheath - CUT your finger nails!!!! otherwise you will end up with lines all over the place. Cheers and good luck Bri
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Celti...517813?fref=ts
    To grow to be old and wise, you first have to be young and foolish
    I have everything I need - it's just the want's that are missing .

  9. #19
    Trapper kINGPIN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Cambridgeshire
    Posts
    162
    Thanks for the tip! No risk of that though, I've bit my nails since I was a kid!

  10. #20
    Ranger Tony1948's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    North Essex Clacton-on-sea
    Posts
    2,080
    Go for the tapestry needles,biger holes and there blunt,you can get 10 nickel plated one's on ebay for 1:10 and 0:85 postage.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •