Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Define Bushcraft!!

Define Bushcraft!!

Hi folks.

Hope that you are all well.
    I've been lucky enough to be asked to do a another radio interview for the BBC and demonstration tomorrow all about bushcraft and specifically wild food foraging.

As part of the interview I'm going to be asked what bushcraft is, now I've given this plenty of thought and I've come up with an answer/definition that I'm happy with, but it got me thinking.

"what would YOUR definition of Bushcraft be" in just one paragraph.

Ive seen the Wikipedia definition so don't go copying and pasting it here you naughty boys!

looking forward to your answers

All the best

Ade.

Am wondering it myself! Lol, to me it's rather just lightweight camping on a budget, with emphasis on skills rather than fancy gear. Except for Martin....... and no plaid slippers involved either.

To me ...

Bushcraft is the enjoyment of the outdoors with minimal impact using largely traditional skills which have been replaced by technology or become lost in the general populous. Many prefer to use nature fibres and hand made tools, whilst others enjoy the same experiences with army surplus or modern camping gear. Adherence to a code is not required, though some believe that Ray Mears describes "the one true way" and there are others who consider their way more pure and frown on those who use more contemporary equipment. Though there is considerable crossover with survival skills, the goal is the antithesis; being one of purposefully going forth in to nature and embracing it rather than being stuck out there and trying to get back. Bushcraft is largely defined in terms and boundaries by its practitioners, but is consistently a placid pursuit and when practiced in groups, there is a consistent ethos of social inclusion and knowledge sharing. Bushcrafters come from many walks of life and have varied levels of experience, but share a consistent love of nature whilst maintaining a personal adherence to their own methods and beliefs.
    Steve Marvell
    Professional Survival Instructor
    Blog: Survival's Cool also available on Facebook

Nicely said!

Yeah, what Marvell said.
    Though you may want to reduce it to just his first sentence for the purpose of a radio soundbite.
    'What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare' - William Henry Davies

Kestrels:
    https://foraknave.wordpress.com/

Thinking:
    https://thinkingthink.wordpress.com/

Talland Bay.. An pleg-mor Kernewek hag a wra kovyow
    Crafting in the bush..

Bushcraft is relying on ancestorial knowledge and skills, instead of modern gear and gadgets, when immersing yourself into The Nature.

NaturalBushcraft Founder Ashley Cawley's Avatar
    I wrote an article about this years ago @ http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/wi...bushcraft.html

In it I said: "For me Bushcraft is about learning to become comfortable in the outdoors, learning to live within nature, using it's resources in a sustainable maner, always striving to learn more about flora, fauna & wilderness skills, for knowledge is the most important tool, it weighs nothing and gives you the ability to not only survive but flourish."

Hope your interview goes well Ade.
    Ashley Cawley

Youtube | Forum | Twitter | Flickr
    Leave No Trace

Marvell and Ash put it very well.

For me:

Bishcraft is going into nature to live and work in all its environments. Working with nature and its seasons to be comfortable in it and with use of skills that conform rather than destroy the environment. Learning more of nature and her surroundings, using skills many of which are now in decline or lost to try and find ways to relearn or learn how they interlink with me and nature.

I think if anyone came up with a definitive list of what Bushcraft is AND a reasonable amount of other people agreed with the list, I'd be lucky to tick two, maybe three boxes out of ten.

I can carve a spoon, I can light a fire, I could make water reasonably safe to drink and I could probably build a shelter, but I would be buggered when it cam to finding food.

I am a hiking backpacker with a couple of outdoor skills, whether this also qualifies me as a (basic level) bushcrafter, I don't know.

So I'm going to give you the Switzerland answer, Bushcraft is whatever you want it to be.

For me, what I do, whether it be bushcraft or not, is about all enjoying the outdoors, without f@*king up the outdoors, for others to enjoy after you.

You didn't want a helpful answer did you
    Ansum La