Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New pack

Moderator & Poshcrafter™ Martin's Avatar
    I've never felt the frame whilst I'm walking. I find it a very very comfortable pack but the only way to be half way sure is to go to a shop and try it on. Alternatively, buy from Taunton Leisure on line and if you don't like it you can send it back. I got mine from Taunton Leisure and the customer service has been first class.

Martin
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.

Quote Originally Posted by voipmonkey View Post
    Hi guys
    After a bit of guidance if I may.
    Looking at getting a new pack / bigger pack. Old one had to be binned!!!
    I am looking for something that I can use for say a weekend trip 4 days max which I can get my dd frontline hammock, under quilt ,tarp, cooking stuff food and all the other good stuff.
    Looking for general advice before lugging all my kits and trying a few out .
    Thanks in advance
    Mark
    Hi Mark,
    Check out the Lowe Alpine Sting. Absolutely brilliant pack, really comfy to wear and loads of room for all your gear.
    I got mine at thexmod online store for £78 as an unissued model. OD are now nigh on impossible to find, so you'd have to live with DPM.
    You can get previously issued ones in varying conditions cheaper but at the price I paid can't see why I'd go second hand.
    cheers
    Gareth

If it was me I'd get some kind of Molle pack. Which one exactly depends on your budget.
    I prefer the versatility of the Molle system.
    'What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare' - William Henry Davies

Kestrels:
    https://foraknave.wordpress.com/

Thinking:
    https://thinkingthink.wordpress.com/

Hi Mark, for me it has to be the army surplus plce bergen, it has a large main compartment approx 100 litres, with an inner and outer zipped top pocket, a metal frame, well padded shoulder and waist straps. With the added advantage of removable side pouches that can be zipped together to form a day sack using a yoke. They are bomb proof and reasonably cheap, there are loads on ebay or through army surplus ( get the genuine one, not the imported ones as the quality is not as good). What I did was bought extra pouches and divided my kit, so one pouch contains my cooking kit, one has my food supplies, one has waterproofs and extra clothing, etc. think of it like the main bergen is thunderbird two, and the you just fill it with the pouches you need, and you can customise the contents. I'm sure there are a few ex-forces guys on the forum that have more experience and able to offer more advice. They are in two sizes long or short back, I bought mine a good few years ago pre-owned, and its still going strong, the only downside is they are not fully waterproof but I use builders rubble sacks and that works, hope this helps......

thanks for tall the replies guys
    I am liking the Exos 58 from all your suggestions !!! going to have a look see at the weekend if i get a mo
    Mark

Good choice imho. Definately been impressed with my Exos 46 to date.

just got to find one for a good price now taunton leisure seems to be the cheapest. might nip to local shop first though to get them to measure my back and try a few on before an internet purchase?