Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Teach me about Czech bedrolls

Thats a nice bit of kit !! Would make a 3 season bag into a 4 season no problem I think!

Cheers
    AL
    The world is big and I want to have a good look at it before it gets dark.
    JOHN MUIR

I got my CABR about a year ago and it was in mint condition. Maybe, the less than mint condition of the items being dispatched now is indicative of them being the last remaining of MM current stock? Or as there have been a couple of buying frenzies for the CABR, the best quality that is currently available?

Who knows.

Shoulders, if the rest of my body was in proportion to my chest and shoulders I'd be about 6 foot 4. Sadly, I'm only 5 foot 8 and a bit lardy, so any outdoor sleeping solution anywhere near comfortable for me to use, is by virtue of being meant for a much taller man, heavyweight and bulky. As I carry my camp, this means a good third of my pack is given over to my sleep system. No great drama in itself, but when you start adapting the set up of something like the CABR it can become problematic, especially in the cooler months.

I've used my CABR in conjunction with an army jungle bag, a two/three season rectangle bag and an army Arctic bag and while each kept me warm as the night got cooler last year, the colder it got the more awkward the carry got (the CABR and the Arctic bag when used together, each ended up being lashed to a yoke like Bergen side pouches in a day pack configuration, with my shelter wedged between them and then a coulpe of other pouches/bags tied on, resulting in a carry that would give Mr MOLLE a headache... then a backache).

So I eventually decided to get a good thermal liner and, following on from something Neil / Chubbs suggested, a custom cut wool blanket. These do not make the additional carry vastly lighter than a sleeping bag, but they do not take up as much additional space, so a much less awkward carry.

I tired this new set up once in mid December, in my garden and I was warm and comfortable, which was good. But it was not as cold then as it is now and following my bounce half way down a Cornish cliff, I struggle to sleep well indoors in a bed at the moment, so I've not yet summoned the inclination to try this new set up on a much cooler evening.

But I have a feeling, when I do, it will keep me warm and comfortable.

I guess the point I am wandering around the houses to make is, experiment and see what works best for you.

Anyway, enjoy your adventures with you new bit of excellent kit.

Atb.

Colin
    Ansum La

Bed roll mods

Hi, I modded my CABR with some micro fleece cut to shape, with a foot pocket for extra warmth - works well I just don't like the weight of it, its too heave to carry very far,
    but brill if you are car camping
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled_zps18d3f304.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	83.2 KB 
ID:	6877 basic layout showing original green blanket

Name:	Untitled_zps98b27b65.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	74.6 KB 
ID:	6878 layout showing foot pocket

Name:	DSC01283.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	96.0 KB 
ID:	6879 finished
    Cheers Bri
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Celti...517813?fref=ts
    To grow to be old and wise, you first have to be young and foolish
    I have everything I need - it's just the want's that are missing .

Great idea with the foot pocket mate.

MM also sell a swag type bag which is the Czech bag and a Polish sleeping mat combined. I do have two of these but if you stick the mat inside the bag like you are supposed to,there is not much room for the bigger guy like myself to move around.

I tried the polish mat inside my CABR once, struggled to zip it up, got SWMBO to zip it up for me and it was a very tight fit.

Apparently, with the grimace on my face, she reckoned I looked like a fat Han Solo encased in carbonite.

Since then, me inside the CABR, on top of the PASM, outside the CABR, has been my preferred option.
    Ansum La