Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Teach me about Czech bedrolls

Teach me about Czech bedrolls

Hi folks
    I've seen a bit of chat going around about the Czech bedrolls.

I am a confirmed hammock user and have been for years but I quite fancy one of these fellas.

Anybody on here got one? Are they any good? Has anyone used one in a hammock? Etc etc

I have seen who is selling them and how much they are selling for but it's the "are they worth it" opinions of you good folk that I'm interested in now.

Thanks in advance.

Ade.

Hey Ade,

I have one of these bed rolls and for the price alone they are definitely worth a punt.

The outer shell is very spacious and certainly water resistant, the mid blanket a little more snug, but as it is quite thick it does keep you very warm. And I have found the thickness also takes the edge of hard ground, so the more intrepid explorer might consider dispensing with an additional sleep mat (which the roll can easily accommodate when packed) and bed down as is. The inner hygiene sheet, is not that dissimilar to a sleeping bag liner, if perhaps a little heaver than is standard, in that it provides an extra layer of warm and feels more comfortable against your bare skin. You can also button the mid and inner layers together, which because of the weight of the mid layer, helps avoid your waking up tangled in bedding after rolling about in your sleep (as I sometimes do).

If you think of it as a half decent non hooped bivi bag, with bedding blankets included, you wouldn't be too far off the mark.

Things to keep in mind.

IMO, the Czech bed roll is geared towards cooler weather camping, you could remove the mid layer and just go with the outer shell and inner hygiene sheet in warmer weather, I've not tried this out in the field, but playing out in the garden, on fairly warm evening, with the accompaniment of a self inflating mat, it seemed like it would be ok.

The bed roll is comparatively heavy, when considered against technical cold weather sleeping bags, but probably around the same weight as a 58 pattern bag (when I had a play with a 58P bag it certainly seemed to be of a similar weight) and I would guess lighter than an arctic bag (I could well be wrong though) but in itself I don't think it is that heavy (however, I am a pack mule so that might not be a universal opinion).

It is very bulky when packed. I don't know the precise volume (and am too weak brained to work it out at the moment) but there is a mini review including dimensions here. For a laugh, I stowed it in the main compartment of my 75L rucksack and it took up more than 3/4 of the capacity. For actual use when hiking, after a couple of attachment experiments, I ended up stowing it horizontally, between the top lid and main compartment of my rucksack, as the lid and base loops were not big enough to accommodate its girth. So the sleep roll is portable (ish) using long rucksack, but because I was carrying it very high on my back, I was constantly aware of gravity's grip on it trying to unbalance me.

So I would say this bed roll is more suited to car or short walk camping, than it is to longer hill hiking/camping... unless you are a bit of a nutter like me.

Although I have a DD Frontline, I have not yet used it in conjunction with this sleep roll, so I can not comment on compatibility. But thinking about it (which is always a dangerous thing to do as my thoughts tend to bolt off in random directions) it could be. There could be condensation issues as you would be effectively sleeping in a set of blankets, in a bivi, in hammock, but you could play around with the layers and see if one of the various configurations (all in, blankets minus shell, just the hygiene sheet etc.) suit your needs. You could also try (here we go) hanging the outer shell and one of the blankets on the outside, as you would an underquilt and snuggle up in the remaining blanket in the hammock. Might be too heavy to work, might not (I'll try this myself when we get a rain free day and I can experiment in the garden.)

Anyway, all things considered, I would recommend the Czech bed roll. The only negatives for me are its bulk and awkwardness when carried (but I am addressing both of these issues 'pimping' the roll itself and working on a carry system to better accommodate it).

I hope this helps. If you have specific questions my ramble has not touched upon, let me know and I'll endeavour to address them.

Cheers,

Colin
    Ansum La

Wow. Cheers buddy.

I have to say that you have just given one of the most insightful and entertaining answers to any question I have ever read.

Thank you for taking the time to write as much as you have.

I think I'm gonna have to have a cheeky punt and pick one up before my next camp and do a bit of experimenting.

Thanks again buddy

Ade.

No worries fella, I hope when you get it, you like it as much as I do.
    Ansum La

Colin has said it all.
    Not much cop for camps unless the car is close by though due to weight/bulk. Mine is the prefered piece of kit for throwing in the canoe when ground dwelling though.

You can get them for a tenner and the blanket is worth that IMO.

Hi Ade
    Just for info I have used one of these bed rolls in my DD hammock for a couple of nights and had a very comfortable night very warm when it rained during the second night and did not suffer any condensation issues. Lovely bit of kit but to reiterate the previous replies it does weigh some and not great for lengthy treks.
    Go on spend the cash you won't be disappointed lol
    ATB

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Savagewolfrm View Post
    Hi Ade
    Just for info I have used one of these bed rolls in my DD hammock for a couple of nights and had a very comfortable night very warm when it rained during the second night and did not suffer any condensation issues. Lovely bit of kit but to reiterate the previous replies it does weigh some and not great for lengthy treks.
    Go on spend the cash you won't be disappointed lol
    ATB

Rick
    That is good to know Rick, cheers fella

A good bit of kit, just gets better and better
    Ansum La

Ok I'm convinced fellas. I've ordered one.
    I'm doing a camp sometime in July so I'll use it in the hammock then and report back.

Thanks again for all the feedback chaps.

Ade.

Hope you enjoy using it fella
    Ansum La