Thread: Where to hold an Owl

Where to hold an Owl

Hi all,
    Haven't been on for a while so I hope everyone is well.

I am off to Minehead for a few days for my daughters 18th Birthday. She has never held an owl and as a birthday gift I would like to take her somewhere to hold one. I have checked the net but have had no success, I dont want a Bird of Prey experience day for £100. I was wondering if anyone in the area would know of a Owl santuary or Falconry I could take her to.

Thanks
    Ian

Moderator & Poshcrafter™ Martin's Avatar
    I guess it would be a bit out of your way but the Screech Owl Sanctuary near St Austell would be right up your street.

Martin
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.

Exmoor Owl and Hawk Centre is based in Porlock, not too far from Minehead and a nice scenic drive to get there. Give them a ring and see what they can do for you. Here is the link

http://www.exmoorfalconry.co.uk/visitor-attraction.htm

Let us know how you get on

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    I guess it would be a bit out of your way but the Screech Owl Sanctuary near St Austell would be right up your street.

Martin
    Cheers martin,
    I think that will have to be a holiday trip on its own. thanks for the info, that is exactly what I am looking for.

Jus: That place is £60 for half a day for birds of prey and £25 each person min 2 for what they call a taster. That is just so overpriced its crazy. Owl experience £120... they are on another planet or been drinking to much local scrumpy. they have a day visitors for £8.50 for that you get to look but not touch. Many thanks for the effort Jus but I was hoping for something a little cheaper or donations to the santuary.

I was looking at these bits from the page linked too...

Itinerary for daily activities:

11.30am - Owl Show in the Medieval Barn

2.30pm - Flying display in field

If you would like the opportunity to fly an owl to your gloved hand please ask at Reception on your arrival. (subject to availability)

Want a close up, hands on experience with our Miniature Shetland Ponies and Miniature Donkeys??

And this bit

If you wish to fly a bird to your fist - a unique opportunity! - please ask at Reception on your arrival. Each year some of the money collected is donated to a conservation charity, and in 2010 we were able to support the Somerset Wildlife Trust, and the Hawk and Owl Trust in their conservation work locally. This support will continue and grow through 2011.

Got to be worth a call

I took my daughter to the Milky Way in North Devon. They do have indoor flying of Owls and Hawks.
    One of the owls they showed was an Eagle Owl. The Falconer then went on to describe that Eagle Owls could carry off sheep, babies and Smart cars - not quite but you get the picture
    He told us about what they ate and said that an Eagle Owl could deal with a Hedgehog: Stunned silence from the audience
    Then a small voice said "Bet that hurts coming out!" The place collapsed with laughter

They do sometimes have sessions when you can have an Owl or Hawk sit on your gloved hand. It's well worth doing Milky Way Link

Failing that, my pal has some Gites in the Loire and they have Barn Owl chicks that seem to fall out of their nests with monotonous regularity. You then have to pursue the chicks around with a towel to capture them and get them back to their nests.
    Last edited by happybonzo; 22-06-2012 at 05:47 AM. Reason: fat finger typing
    Only my dog can judge me

http://www.devilark.com.au/

Trapper
    Quote Originally Posted by jus_young View Post
    ... If you would like the opportunity to fly an owl to your gloved hand ... Want a close up, hands on experience with our Miniature Shetland Ponies and Miniature Donkeys??
    Do the ponies and donkeys fly to hand as well...wow...guess that's why they're miniature?!

Its like a different world down here in the South West, you never know what your going to come across

Sharandays might have something to offer.

My friend in Clovelly does various levels of experience at great rates http://www.owlmagic.co/Owl_Experiences.html
    Steve Marvell
    Professional Survival Instructor
    Blog: Survival's Cool also available on Facebook