Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oriental Bushcraft ??

Lightbulb Oriental Bushcraft ??

Evening All,

Having grown up watching many kung fu / martial arts movies I have a fondness for most things japanese and chinese things too.
    However this got me wondering if anyone on here knows of any bushcraft techniques that are specifically from the Orient ?

I guess the japanese had a monopoly on forging and tempering the hardest steel, katana's (swords) made from steel folded 900 times etc.. but there must be more techniques and skills that have originated in the East ??

Name:  Shogun.jpg
Views: 613
Size:  7.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by moontanboy View Post
    Evening All,

Having grown up watching many kung fu / martial arts movies I have a fondness for most things japanese and chinese things too.
    However this got me wondering if anyone on here knows of any bushcraft techniques that are specifically from the Orient ?

I guess the japanese had a monopoly on forging and tempering the hardest steel, katana's (swords) made from steel folded 900 times etc.. but there must be more techniques and skills that have originated in the East ??

Name:  Shogun.jpg
Views: 613
Size:  7.8 KB
    I lived in south Asia and South-east Asia for 3 years. Can't think of anything that really is not quite universal. Many people there still live a life style that by itself is bushcraft. Like my mother in law in the North west of Thailand, who still makes her own charcoal for cooking. If we went out for a walk, you could be very sure that my wife would come home with her pockets, or bag full of edible wild stuff. And they both sent the farang (i.e the foreigner) in front of them on the path in case there where snakes...lol

Sollutions to problems are most often quite similar world wide, but perhaps with a local twist.
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

Quote Originally Posted by FishyFolk View Post
    Many people there still live a life style that by itself is bushcraft.
    Hi FF, wise words as always.

I had a fondness for traps and snares some time ago (it's ok, I had some counselling and therapy and I'm ok now!) and as is my usual stance, I researched the heck out of them.

Apparently there are more animal traps indigenous to Asia than any other continent on the planet.

There's also that bloody clever friction fire lighting that RM did with the bamboo!!

Ade.

Cooking with a wok on a small fire?

Trapper
    Quote Originally Posted by FishyFolk View Post
    And they both sent the farang (i.e the foreigner) in front of them on the path in case there where snakes...lol.
    Brilliant! Did they tell you or did they let you just go ahead....

[Q And they both sent the farang (i.e the foreigner) in front of them on the path in case there where snakes...lol

Sollutions to problems are most often quite similar world wide, but perhaps with a local twist.[/QUOTE]
    You know the old saying ONCE BITTEN - DEAD
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Celti...517813?fref=ts
    To grow to be old and wise, you first have to be young and foolish
    I have everything I need - it's just the want's that are missing .

Quote Originally Posted by Hushwing View Post
    Brilliant! Did they tell you or did they let you just go ahead....

Oh they just let me go ahead...

Also interesting when i wen't fishing in the south part of Thailand, just north of Phuket/Khao Lak. The accomodation was a bamboo hut on a timber raft floating in the middle of the lake.
    The guide told me not to worry about snakes at night because the king cobra, could not swim. At that precise moment, a king cobra was swimming behind him on the lake...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	slmm 009.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	91.8 KB 
ID:	4874Click image for larger version. 

Name:	slmm 017.jpg 
Views:	199 
Size:	96.7 KB 
ID:	4875
    Last edited by FishyFolk; 22-06-2012 at 08:12 AM.
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Oh, just remebered something special for the area. The production of silk straight from the worm and onto finished fabric. My mother in law does that. To do that they boil the silkworms, and when they are spent, alll the silk thread is out, the worms are ready to eat :-)
    (Roald Amundsen)

Thanks for sharing your pics and ideas so far.

It's not quite Bushcraft but I did find out last night that "Char Siu Pao" (Riceflour steamed buns with sweet pork inside) are the chinese equivalent of Cornish Pasties for Tin Miners.
    They take large buns in their pack lunches and were traditionally used by chinese builders.
    Name:  char-siu-pao.jpg
Views: 534
Size:  17.0 KB