Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: advice first time wild camping

Banned
    If you live in Berkshire why not do part of the Ridgeway for a start? Parts not churned up by off-roaders are very good walking. Crossed by roads so put in and collection are easy, even served by bus routes. Basic kit will be fine and I believe that there are even water points in some places. Uffington White Horse to Hackpen Hill or even Avebury would be my choice. No need to ask anyone's permission to camp by the side of the track. I envy you that first time, if it is, up on the Downs.

I love walking on Dartmoor, but if you're going on your own, make sure you have a route and stick to it. Have a backup plan, and an escape route, and also have a map and a compass, and know how to use them. Don't rely on things like mobile phones as GPS devices, keep them switched of until you need them, have the means to last slightly more than you intended stay, just incase, and wear something that can be seen, not all DPM or such like. Make sure your sleep kit stays dry, try putting it in a waterproof sack inside your backpack, and have the ability to make a hot drink even if it raining cats and dogs.
    And the big one! Don't try to tough it out if it gets bad, no one would blame anyone for calling it a day, and getting back home, I've done it plenty of times, a lot of people get into problems because they just think they can tough it out, it's not a test, your there to enjoy yourself.

But most of all enjoy what you're doing, Dartmoor has some fantastic views especially as the sun comes up, and sets.

Enjoy yourself Stay warm, stay safe.

Da
    Life in not made up by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away -Anon

Sound obvious but keep your mobile phone safe in a waterproof bag and don't let it get cold and drain the battery ( touch screens are shocking for battery life) and always know your map grid just in case.

Good luck and safe trip mate-mick
    “Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out going to the mountains is going home; that wilderness is a necessity...”
    ― John Muir

Mick last post on this thread was over a year ago and the original post was 2010.....I think he may have come back by now
    [

Haha I do hope so or maybe be stayed amongst the nature with a wet phone. Must start looking at thread dates
    “Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out going to the mountains is going home; that wilderness is a necessity...”
    ― John Muir