Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What are opinions on folding knives.

Want to check out the Opinel. But they are not easy to come by in Norway. Found it online, at a reasonable price in itslef. To bad the outlet wants 10£ to ship it to me...
    Thats the bad part of living in a small arctic town in a small (population) country. Well, I have to make do with my SAK, or get a Buck 110, but they are ridicilously overpriced.
    So I may go treassure hunting in my dads shed. I think I saw one of my child hood knives there a while ago. I may just go an nick it :-)

An alternative is to get the opinel from that american auction website. I can then halve the price, and thats including shipping....
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

Quote Originally Posted by FishyFolk View Post
    Want to check out the Opinel. But they are not easy to come by in Norway. Found it online, at a reasonable price in itslef. To bad the outlet wants 10£ to ship it to me...
    Thats the bad part of living in a small arctic town in a small (population) country. Well, I have to make do with my SAK, or get a Buck 110, but they are ridicilously overpriced.
    So I may go treassure hunting in my dads shed. I think I saw one of my child hood knives there a while ago. I may just go an nick it :-)

An alternative is to get the opinel from that american auction website. I can then halve the price, and thats including shipping....
    I bought the Opinel No. 8. Very good little knife.

I found, while walking in the woods a few weeks ago the following - http://www.actionhobbies.co.uk/Helik...MC_A12CKK.aspx

I cleaned it up and sharpened it. It looks a bit 'gimmicky' and I haven't used it yet. What do you think?

Not for me. Serrated edge...
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

I might try it this weekend, maybe a little carving project. I'll see how it performs with various tasks.

I usually carry an Opinel No. 8 Carbon as my whitteling blade. We have them at the shop, where I work, dirt cheap.

Fish; PM me you ardress, I'll send you one.

Quote Originally Posted by JEEP View Post
    I usually carry an Opinel No. 8 Carbon as my whitteling blade. We have them at the shop, where I work, dirt cheap.

Fish; PM me you ardress, I'll send you one.
    PM sent. Thanks a lot. These appear to be really hard to come by here. The choices in folding knives are either cheesy 50 kroner crap from Biltema or 700 kroner an upwards Buck knives, or super tacticool
    stuff that I don't care much for really.
    (Roald Amundsen)

You're welcome.

I just sent you an Opinel No. 8 carbon - it should be in your mail in 3-5 days

You're welcome.

I just sent you an Opinel No. 8 carbon - it should be in your mail in 3-5 days
    Superb!
    (Roald Amundsen)

Denmark used to be somewhat like Norway, regarding prices and availability of products - so I know your pain

Denmark used to be somewhat like Norway, regarding prices and availability of products - so I know your pain
    It's kind of tiring. The local shops only stock the super cool, over priced stuff, or in the case of Biltema...junk....with a few exceptions. They do stock Mora knives...

The alternative is the internet. Where you fin everything your heart would want, at reasonable prices. The trouble is when you want something cheap like an Opinel,
    the shipment cost doubles the price, and that putts you off buying it. Who buys someting for 20£ on the net, when the price in a mortar and brick place is 10£ ?
    I don't, or wait until I can order something else. With the Opinel, the only place I could find it, only sells cutlery knives + the opinel folders. I don't need
    any cutlery knives and my friends are still to smithen with the latest tactical blade from over the drink to want one....so again, a huge thank you :-)
    (Roald Amundsen)