Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Austrian rucksack alice pack

Question Austrian rucksack alice pack

I'm preparing for another kit splurge at Military Mart and have seen this pack.

Austrian rucksack alice pack

Name:  austrian_rucksack.600.jpg
Views: 3684
Size:  33.1 KB

£12.99

I'm in the market for a new day/overnight pack and this looks interesting.

As the product info is a little scarce - Austrian, similar to an ALICE pack, large - I was wondering if any of you good people have one of these packs and if you do, would be so kind as to let me know:

If it has a frame?
    If it is remotely waterproof?
    How large, large may be?
    And, if it is any good?

Many Thanks,

Colin
    Last edited by Kernowek Scouser; 11-06-2012 at 11:30 AM. Reason: Fixing link and pic
    Ansum La

Link and photo not working...

If it is similar to the Alice Pack, I would stear clear of it. The Alice Pack is quite heavy and bulky - and meant to ride on top of a complete webbing (especially the belt) - without it, it is not very comfortable.

Tribal Elder
    i have this sack and while it is larger than you think it does not sit well really . all the attachments are metal clips and it has no waist or chest harness!!! 6/ 10
    'Experience is the most efficient teacher of all things,'

I agree with the above, had one a while ago, used it once then relegated it to the loft.

Not comfortable at all.

Ade.

Tribal Elder
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC06281.jpg 
Views:	586 
Size:	89.9 KB 
ID:	4721Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC06282.jpg 
Views:	345 
Size:	97.6 KB 
ID:	4722Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC06283.jpg 
Views:	395 
Size:	88.9 KB 
ID:	4723Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC06284.jpg 
Views:	365 
Size:	99.0 KB 
ID:	4724Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC06285.jpg 
Views:	363 
Size:	96.6 KB 
ID:	4725
    front pocket will fit trangia stove , axe for guide 19" fasteners are fiddly

Hopefully the link and pic are now fixed.

Thanks for the feedback fellas and the pictures Al

It is a shame you have found the pack sits awkwardly, I guess like Jakob says, it is intended to be worn over webbing.

The lack of a frame is a bonus in my book as I find frames heavy, awkward and annoying. No waist harness would make no difference for me, as I (rightly or wrongly) carry weight on my shoulders and often clip the waist harness together behind my back, just to keep it from flapping about. The lack of a cheat harness is more of an issue. And generally being an uncomfortable carry is a major issue

So, from what you fellas have said, I should probably give this pack a miss... but then you posted those pictures Al.

It looks the size and shape of bag I'm after. I have an image in my head of a handy overnight pack and that image is not that different from this pack in your pictures. Damn.

I'm off to my favourite surplus shop this afternoon (well the only surplus shop roundabouts, but it is a grand one) before retiring to the pub for the match. If I can't find a suitable pack there, I have a feeling I'm going to take a punt on this pack (Nooooo!) and pimp it if needs be.

Thanks for trying to talk me out of buying this pack. Sadly, I guess on this occasion, the drop from the cliff edge is just too tempting for the lemming in me.
    Ansum La

Tribal Elder
    Quote Originally Posted by Kernowek Scouser View Post
    Hopefully the link and pic are now fixed.

Thanks for the feedback fellas and the pictures Al

It is a shame you have found the pack sits awkwardly, I guess like Jakob says, it is intended to be worn over webbing.

The lack of a frame is a bonus in my book as I find frames heavy, awkward and annoying. No waist harness would make no difference for me, as I (rightly or wrongly) carry weight on my shoulders and often clip the waist harness together behind my back, just to keep it from flapping about. The lack of a cheat harness is more of an issue. And generally being an uncomfortable carry is a major issue

So, from what you fellas have said, I should probably give this pack a miss... but then you posted those pictures Al.

It looks the size and shape of bag I'm after. I have an image in my head of a handy overnight pack and that image is not that different from this pack in your pictures. Damn.

I'm off to my favourite surplus shop this afternoon (well the only surplus shop roundabouts, but it is a grand one) before retiring to the pub for the match. If I can't find a suitable pack there, I have a feeling I'm going to take a punt on this pack (Nooooo!) and pimp it if needs be.

Thanks for trying to talk me out of buying this pack. Sadly, I guess on this occasion, the drop from the cliff edge is just too tempting for the lemming in me.
    sorry easily missed there is a chest buckle !! lol and the trangia set does fit in the front pocket neatly although the top straps could be longer really

Quote Originally Posted by alvino78 View Post
    sorry easily missed there is a chest buckle !! lol and the trangia set does fit in the front pocket neatly although the top straps could be longer really
    The surplus shop had a shed load of bergens and one black MOD issue patrol pack, which was bigger than I expected, but not quite what I was after.

So I have placed an order for this ALICE type pack. The news it does have a chest buckle is a brucie bonus

A review, possibly with pictures, will follow later in the week.
    Ansum La

Samuel Hearne
    I have a ex army issue GS rucksack that i used to use alot it is now being to be used to store some climbing kit an rope, it has got a large front pouch and 2 good sized side pouches, i have no problem wearing it and im 180cms hope that helps.

It does, cheers

I'm a little shorter (5" 8' and a bit) but hopefully will have no carry issue either.
    Ansum La