Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: As long as a piece of string

At night make a signal for rescue crew to spot you by tieing paracord round the bottom of your torch and swing it round in a circle, there for making an "unnatrual" light pattern and hopefully get spotted.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave ward View Post
    At night make a signal for rescue crew to spot you by tieing paracord round the bottom of your torch and swing it round in a circle, there for making an "unnatrual" light pattern and hopefully get spotted.
    all the while being aware that white light with regard to heli bourne rescue can cause some PNG's to bloom blinding the pilot not a good thing when in charge of a large yellow mincing machine....a yellow or red cylaume/nightstick is perfect.....light, easy to use, robust and doesnt run on batteries
    [

I didn't know that about pilots night vision but now i do so guess as sapper says, use glow stick etc.

I didn't know that about pilots night vision but now i do so guess as sapper says, use glow stick etc.
    Fair play Dave, your idea is a good one, if you attract a helicopter, you would undoubted hear it way before, you could blind the crew.

Then you could stop your 'swinging' and adopt a different signalling pattern.
    * LIFE IS GOOD *

NO need to do as I say at all, just a suggestion....Wont matter in the UK post 2015 anyway now the govt has privatised SAR Helis - the Big yellow budgies and red and grey Navy birds are going....
    [

Thanks old guard, just a different signaling idea. Imagen how much it would stand out for group search and rescue in the dark or dawn/dusk. SAPPER why are they getting rid of the yellow etc helis?

Quote Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
    Fair play Dave, your idea is a good one, if you attract a helicopter, you would undoubted hear it way before, you could blind the crew.

Then you could stop your 'swinging' and adopt a different signalling pattern.
    Not undoubted at all, usually pick up the landing lights before you hear it....Its got nothing to do with the pattern its the use of white light and the effect it has on NVG's. At an incident scene at night we have to turn off white light as he Heli approaches, but we have the benefit of direct radio comms with the crew.

Didn't say it was a bad idea either...just said beware of blinding the pilot and offered an alternative.

The RAF/RN SAR helis have FLIR and TI on board these days so once they have located you your white light isnt needed, at night they will usually indicate they have seen you by flashing their landing lights on and off.

Dave. RAF/RN assistance in Civillian SAR has been sold off to a private company....http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2...tisation-fears

Lights are great as a signalling device many a lost or injured person has been located through showing lights - had a few finds myself that way....Still reckon that all these fancy electronic devices and the MK1 eyeball are no match for a dogs nose in the dark...but I am a tad biased
    Last edited by Silverback; 11-03-2013 at 03:03 PM.
    [

Good read that mate thank You shame its all going private.