Thread: Its been a sad, sad day...

Its been a sad, sad day...

Well, it’s been a sad day. I feel that a part off me has been taken away, I am now incomplete. Through highs and lows, thick and thin, wooded valley and open moor and more abuse than anything should ever take there was never a moment of objection or complaint. But now they have gone. Yes, good people, my Karrimor boots have finally passed.

I must admit that these have probably been the best pair of boots I have ever had. They have been comfortable, waterproof and very hardwearing considering that they have been my only footware for the best part of eighteen months apart from the occasional steel toe cap job (and the obligatory black shiny wedding/funeral thingies that have fortunately been rare this past year). I have literally lived in these boots. I originally got them as I needed something a bit more supportive as my old favourite boots were not proving very beneficial for the old back problems. As soon as I started wearing the Karrimors the back felt somewhat better as my posture changed completely.

There have been some bad comments on here about Karrimor boots in recent times but I can only say that my experience of them has been excellent and only time will tell whether the replacement ones will be as good.

Rest well my dear old friends.

The last time I replaced my boots, it was as a result of a fox, running off with my old ones. Had to hike down from the hills wearing the bag for my tent on my left foot...

But okay, R.I.P Jus_youngs boots
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

Karrimor boots are amazing!

I have an old pair that I still wear as work boots in the garden, the sole has started coming off and I've glued it back on but it's not waterproof anymore, but I bought then in 1994. It was only last year that I replaced them, OK they weren't worn every day but they have done a lot of miles.

Sorry for you loss Justin

I had a pair of German para boots for years and they were simply grand. It was a real wrench when the time finally arrived to retire them. And the pain was increased by being unable to locate a decent replacement pair.

In my grief I allowed myself to be seduced by a pair of Mountain Warehouse Merrill Moab copies, which were okay and lasted just over a year, but it just wasn't the same.

It was new boot time again and I was struggling to source para boots once again. I was moping around Sports Direct, trying to cheer myself up playing spot the bargain in their pre xmas sale. I got some socks (they do great value walking socks) and was perusing their selection of thigh length boxers (ideal for avoiding in walk chaffing) when a pair of Karrimor Orkney 5's caught my eye.

Name:  18206105_l.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  9.1 KBName:  18206105_l_a1.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  7.6 KB
    Hmm thought I, leather (ish), waterproof and vibram soles, for just £29.99, surely to good to be true?

But at that price they were worth a punt and so far, have proved to be the Bargain of 2011

I've walked a couple of thousand miles in them since I bought them, through fields, over moorland and along coastal paths. They have weathered torrential rain, mud and mizzle, have kept the water out, look in pretty much the same condition as they did when they came out of their box (when I remember to clean them up) and the heels show little sign of wear.

They are an extremely comfortable, hard wearing boot and I would enthusiastically recommend them.

Karrimor do have a bit of a bad rep, some folks I know go on (and on and on) about how the quality isn't what it used to be and the may be right. But all I know is the boots I have are grand.

It looks like you have had a good experience with Karrimors too, as have other folks. So they can't be all bad, can they?

I hope your new boots serve you well.

Colin
    Ansum La

RIP

I feel the same way about my North face Chilkat II boots. worth a look and come in at less than £100. I use mine all the time including shooting and one of my permissions is very boggy. they have never let me down
    In nature there are no rewards or punishments: there are consequences.

I also have a pair of Karrimor (Blencathra) boots, which I have reserved for "walking" purposes for the last 3 years. They are so good I don't want to wear them out with everyday use (and they're crap for driving).

I had a pair of bargain Berghaus boots once, which were such a perfectly comfortable fit, anything else felt wrong on my feet. The first night after I'd bought them my wife climbed into bed next to me and said: "Do you like your new boots then?", "Yup" says I, "I'm surprised you haven't worn them to bed" she says. So then of course I smiled and rolled back the duvet to reveal.....!

My deepest condolences on your recent tragic loss.
    If you stretch out both arms to represent all time on earth, then with one stroke of a nail file you could eradicate all human history, and 98 per cent of all human history was spent in the stone age.

The new Karrimor Aspen III Weathertite boots are indead weathertite. They had a bloody good test this evening in the woods with the Scouts. I was literally soaked from head to ankle with the only dry part being my feet and when I say soaked I mean to the point of not being able to dry my hands as they looked like I had been soaking in the bath for an hour and had aged 50 years! I am well impressed so far, durability waits to be seen...

Since I got my Lowa's I feel like I could walk any distance anywhere, there so comfortable !

Alone in the Wilderness
    I agree with Moontanboy. I love my Lowas too.