Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bannock Recipes

Trapper
    If I used pre-mixed flour/baking powder/oatmeal in sandwich bags, added water to these, stirered (not sure the bags woud hold up to that abuse). And then cooked the bannock in my mess cans over a esbit stove, do you think it would work?

Quote Originally Posted by blindgeekuk View Post
    If I used pre-mixed flour/baking powder/oatmeal in sandwich bags, added water to these, stirered (not sure the bags woud hold up to that abuse). And then cooked the bannock in my mess cans over a esbit stove, do you think it would work?
    The mixing part is fine but just be careful with the heat level.

Too much direct heat and it will burn long before its cooked all the way through.

Ade

Trapper
    Quote Originally Posted by blindgeekuk View Post
    thats how i do it. pre mix everything in a big sandwich bag then just add water when im out and about. use a 26p baking tray from tesco and thats that.

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianRose View Post
    Sounds great. Let us know how it tastes. Some pictures would be great too.

Ade
    Thanks Ade,

Turned out very nice indeed.. Bit heavy, but tastes lovely. Will try and get a photo up soon.

Trapper
    Do you reckon a bain-marie type setup might reduce the direct heat? Cook the bannock in the smaller mess can, by placing it inside the large one surrounded by water?

Should work........... Just using the water to stop the bottom pan from burning, and use some heavy aluminium to cover the top tin with the mix in to keep it warm and to stop steam getting in and spoiling it....

I dont know if there is a vid on here about bannock making but its worth checking to see.
    If not Im sure some of the lads in here with a Video camera will make one on there next outing.

Cheers
    AL

I did a vid on foraging and making bannock. It can be found on my Youtube channel.
    'What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare' - William Henry Davies

Kestrels:
    https://foraknave.wordpress.com/

Thinking:
    https://thinkingthink.wordpress.com/

Trapper
    So, I got home from work, and took advantage of the fact the family was out, to try the bain-marie bannock...
    I got a sandwich bag, used 3 handfuls of flour, a generous pinch of baking powder, a handful of rye (from nottinghams windmill visitor centre), and added some dried coriander leaves, anjwan seeds, chilli flakes, cumin seeds, crushed long peppercorns and crushed yellow mustard seed...
    I mixed a cupful in my enamel mug, starting with about half full of the mix, and adding water then more mix until I had a full cup. At the same time, I had the esbit stove lit, and my larger mess tin on it with a small layer of water in. I put a small amount of butter in the smaller mess tin, and plopped that into the water, and it took a minute or so to melt.
    I topped up the water when I spread the mix into the smaller tin - a full enamel cup works out as a nice half centimetre layer on the smaller mess tin.
    Unfortunately this is where it all went wrong... The water acting as the bain-marie boiled too quickly, and spilt out onto the flames. I topped it up twice, before giving up, giving each side a few minutes on direct heat.
    The bannock came out ok, very spicy with a nicely toasted/just about to burn coating, more than enough for one person to eat as a snack or with a main meal

That sounds gorgeous........... Drooling now !!
    Utringue Paratus

Northern Soul Bushcraft.......