Page 63 of 117 FirstFirst ... 13535455565758596061626364656667686970717273113 ... LastLast

Thread: My daily bushcraft

Quote Originally Posted by wildish64 View Post
    personally i gave up using pine after some research. the general consensus seems to be that pine is too resinous although some have said it make a half decent hearth board but they use other wood for the spindle.
    We don't have much choise in woods up here...
    Pine is the only one I've been able to make smoke. And Odd uses it all the time, and if some Trønder can do it, I should be able to do it too :-)
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

not much choice? i have to roam a fair way on my search for pine for fatwood and even then its only the branch knots that are any good so a few more wouldnt go amiss.

i'm guessing a tronder is a friendly insult lol.

i'm not saying it cant be done but its just not the wood of choice for many folk,having said that if you master it then i bet other woods will be child's play to you

First the Trønder...that simply refers to the people of North and South Trøndelag. I guess if someone called me a Trønder, both me and the Trønder would be insulted...lol.

Trees....we have pine, birch, rowan and goat willows her eon the iskland mostly....and those pesty spruce plantations. I have tried them all and they did not even get warm. The end of the spindle as well as the board just got polished, losing friction. The woods hhardly got hotter than luke warm...

With pine I have it smoking within 30 seconds, I just can't produce a self sustaining ember :-)

Rune
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

lol ahhh i see.. i wont be calling you that then.

heres a couple of links to other bushcraft sites from people having similar issues,hope they help

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/arc...p/t-13601.html

http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/showth...bowdrill-FAST!

i'm not endorsing these links,just sharing information

I have read that ivy is good for the bow drill method. I have secured a nice fat ivy log that is now in the final stages of seasoning. I'm hoping to experiment with on the South East meet. Of course I shall let you know what happens (or more likley what doesn't!)

M@

yes ive read that about ivy.

how long does it need to season?

am thinking i might have to go and cut a chunk off and help save a tree in the process

Sorry - I really don't know. There's some nice ivy specimines on my mate's land that he'd love cut off the trees. Don't worry - I won't let it go to waste.

Sitting here putting a new buckle on my bushcraft belt as the old buckle simply snapped off...So a tiny bit of leather work getting done. :-)
    (Roald Amundsen)

Quote Originally Posted by FishyFolk View Post
    Sitting here putting a new buckle on my bushcraft belt as the old buckle simply snapped off...So a tiny bit of leather work getting done. :-)
    A nice little job.
    How are you feeling post the last weeks Rune?
    Paul

• You’ll never be lost if you remember that moss always grows on the north side of your compass.
    • While the Swiss Army Knife has been popular for years, the Swiss Navy Knife has remained largely unheard of. Its single blade functions as a tiny canoe paddle.

My YOUTUBE Channel
    My INSTAGRAM: paul_r1chards
    Leave no trace

Quote Originally Posted by f0rm4t View Post
    A nice little job.
    How are you feeling post the last weeks Rune?
    I feel okay. Just get winded very quickly. I take that as my speed warning and simply slow down. Even if I have to move at a snails pace. And the good thing about winter is that anywhere is just as good a palce to make camp as the next, as every feature is covered by at least 50 cm of snow if not more.

Anyway I am not getting in better shape sitting inside and moaning about it. So I go for a walk every day. I just need a purpose to do it. So I volunteer to go to the local grocery shop to get that bottle of milk, instead of press-ganging the kids to do it, and I bring and collect to runt to his day-care by foot, dragging him on his sled.

But not spending as much time in the woods As I'd like to. But now we have the light longer into the afternoon that will be eaiser too.
    (Roald Amundsen)