Page 52 of 116 FirstFirst ... 2424344454647484950515253545556575859606162102 ... LastLast

Thread: My daily bushcraft

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Took a stone to my Enzo Trapper O1 tool steel knife for the first time today. The wife was swearing in the kitchen the other day, as she was trying to cut some meat and her knives where not sharp. So I decided to lend her a sharp one. And being lazy I did not go into the shed to get my Mora 2000 that I usually loan out for such emergencies, but gave her my Enzo, since that always sits in the molle pack under our bed.
    It came back less than sharp, looked like she had been chopping into bone with it...but a quick touch up and a stropping and it was scary sharp in no time. Did the kitchen knives too while I was at it....so now she complains they are to sharp....one can never win.

Well, well, the lass grew up using a parang. Her she is in action at home on the farm.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

Dragged the 2 year old to his daycare center on my old sled today. The thing is as old as I am but still works like new. Even if a little rusty here and there.
    The way there is all up hill on a walkway, so no cars. But you should have seen the faces on some of the school kids I met coming down the hill at Warp 10 :-) ....lol

Great fun and weather permitting I'll do the same tomorrow :-)
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Quote Originally Posted by FishyFolk View Post
    Dragged the 2 year old to his daycare center on my old sled today. The thing is as old as I am but still works like new. Even if a little rusty here and there.
    The way there is all up hill on a walkway, so no cars. But you should have seen the faces on some of the school kids I met coming down the hill at Warp 10 :-) ....lol

Great fun and weather permitting I'll do the same tomorrow :-)
    HAHAHA!!!
    Love it

Cheers
    AL
    The world is big and I want to have a good look at it before it gets dark.
    JOHN MUIR

Quote Originally Posted by AL... View Post
    HAHAHA!!!
    Love it

Cheers
    AL
    A related story, A 60+ ex school teacher I worked with a few years ago went sledging with his grandchildren, after an hour of watching the kids having fun
    he decided it was time to rekindle his youth, after marching to the top "he set off"!! when he reached the bottom all the other ADULTS gave him looks of thunder
    some of the women turned their backs on him and all the children were quiet, at first he thought he had broken some kind of rule - like children only or under 16's only
    until his son told him that all they heard while he was speeding down the hill was FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ ##########################************************ *********
    sorry for the language
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Celti...517813?fref=ts
    To grow to be old and wise, you first have to be young and foolish
    I have everything I need - it's just the want's that are missing .

Quote Originally Posted by biker-bri View Post
    A related story, A 60+ ex school teacher I worked with a few years ago went sledging with his grandchildren, after an hour of watching the kids having fun
    he decided it was time to rekindle his youth, after marching to the top "he set off"!! when he reached the bottom all the other ADULTS gave him looks of thunder
    some of the women turned their backs on him and all the children were quiet, at first he thought he had broken some kind of rule - like children only or under 16's only
    until his son told him that all they heard while he was speeding down the hill was FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ ##########################************************ *********
    sorry for the language
    Now that would never have happened up here in north Norway. We would probably be more concerned if he did not swear, then muttered something about %!#"¤"% southerners...before getting on with what we are doing. Swearing is considered part of our cultural identity up here. And when we go south for some reason we can get away with the most incredible things, just by speaking our dialect...

This really got me into trouble sometimes when working in other countries...specially Americans and Brits are sooooo sensitive, and easilly offended....he he.
    (Roald Amundsen)

Quote Originally Posted by FishyFolk View Post
    and Brits are sooooo sensitive, and easilly offended
    No we're not! Who do you think you are! Justify that comment! How dare you sir!
    I've never been so offended!!!!

...um, hang on.
    Paul

• You’ll never be lost if you remember that moss always grows on the north side of your compass.
    • While the Swiss Army Knife has been popular for years, the Swiss Navy Knife has remained largely unheard of. Its single blade functions as a tiny canoe paddle.

My YOUTUBE Channel
    My INSTAGRAM: paul_r1chards
    Leave no trace

Went for a walk today with my pal Danny Reid (NB member) to scope out a new camp site and was lucky enough to find these wonderful specimens.

Hedgehog Fungi and Trumpet Chanterelle.

Ade.

Sorry if this is in the wrong place guys/mods but not sure where else to put it.

In short, I'm trying to get a message to our man Fish but his message inbox is full so my message won't send.

Please delete this if its in the wrong place mods.

Ade

Today I can proudly say I actually have something to contribute to this thread...
    Deer season starts this coming monday, so I've been packing my gear to move into the hunt camp for a few days; it's pretty far into the bush
    so you gotta count on settling in and staying for a while. The other guys in my hunting party are pretty stoked too..emails flying back and forth..
    word is we've got two wild turkeys lined up this year for the deep fryer (We have a big supper each year on the night before opening day).

And more importantly, I've been working madly on prep for trapping season...got 4 weasel boxes made, 7 mink boxes, 2 muskrat cages,
    working on some bait triggers for the beaver traps, AND... replaced the broken handle in my trapping axe...OMG you should see the gruesome mess
    I made of that, if I can get over the shame and embarrassment of it, I'll share some pics just for the comedy...

Keep your stick on the ice, guys.

Jack

Got the hammock I made yesterday with material donated from Jus_Young tested today. It was a nice day out -4 to -8 degrees celcius out in the woods. So nice and dry, powdery snow out there now.
    Did a few mistakes, like forgetting to pack a pair of thick wool socks fro my feet in the hammock. And an a couple of Air Force jets where playing in the sky over head, making it impossible to snooze off once I got into the hammock.

Conclusions. I amde it a tad to short but I think I can remedy that by adjusting the wrapping para cord some. It will be a fine thing to have for day trips, just to get off the snow is worth it's weight in gold. But think I will need something more substantial for over night trips up here.

Also got the Jerven bivvi bag tested, and that thing will keep me warm. It was quite comfortable with only that and an under quilt. But not warm enough to sleep I think. I would probably wake up after a few hours shivering. But it's abolutely a life saving piece of kit if push comes to shove...

Enjoy the vid:

(Roald Amundsen)