Page 4 of 117 FirstFirst 123456789101112131454104 ... LastLast

Thread: My daily bushcraft

Wrapped my Mora 711 and my Mora 120 knives in vinegar soaked cloth to force a patina on them. Hopefully that will give them a tad more rust protection as they live in my shed, and humidity is not excactly low now during the snow melt....just have to remeber to go out there and take that off before putting my head down tonite...
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

Better tip, warm up vinegar to almost a simmer, pour into a glass and set your knife in there point down, you'll get a patina in a fraction of the time, and a harder set one, since the heat causes the steel to expand slightly, letting the patina set in deeper. Plus, you can control the patina just by watching it.

Should say, I did a couple Opinel carbon knives this way, they turned really black in about two mins. Most I do, such as O-1 steel knives I make, takes 10 mins to get a dull gray colour.

Experiment, and have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianMike View Post
    Better tip, warm up vinegar to almost a simmer, pour into a glass and set your knife in there point down, you'll get a patina in a fraction of the time, and a harder set one, since the heat causes the steel to expand slightly, letting the patina set in deeper. Plus, you can control the patina just by watching it.

Should say, I did a couple Opinel carbon knives this way, they turned really black in about two mins. Most I do, such as O-1 steel knives I make, takes 10 mins to get a dull gray colour.

Experiment, and have fun!
    I may try that, but it requires more vinegar than I had in the house. The knives turned out okay though. Also did the axe I polished off the paint on a couple of weeks back. That turned out great!
    But will try your tip later. But something tells me that this is for the shed...the smell must be horendous....lol
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Quote Originally Posted by El View Post
    Non stop rain here, so yesterday my 10 year old son had ago at making nettle soup, on our Swedish army cooker..
    I've never tried Nettle soup, tried worms, woodlice, crickets, etc but never nettle, will have to give it a go... where's my thick leather gloves .

Found this
    http://www.liveandfeel.com/medicinalplants/nettle.html

Gwersyllacnau,
    The nettles are quite nice..
    we used gloves to pick the nettles and put them in a plastic carry bag...On the way out of the woods we spotted some wild chives..I picked em and put them in the bag..but this time no gloves on..result..stung my hand to bits on the nettles in the bag lol

Quote Originally Posted by El View Post
    Gwersyllacnau,
    The nettles are quite nice..
    we used gloves to pick the nettles and put them in a plastic carry bag...On the way out of the woods we spotted some wild chives..I picked em and put them in the bag..but this time no gloves on..result..stung my hand to bits on the nettles in the bag lol
    Sorry had to laugh at that

Gwersyllacnau, that is a cool link thank you,it has a good list of other medicinal plants below the nettle thread I will be checking them out
    http://www.liveandfeel.com/medicinalplants/nettle.html

(There is prob some moral to my nettle picking story lol)
    Last edited by El; 29-04-2012 at 12:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FishyFolk View Post
    I may try that, but it requires more vinegar than I had in the house. The knives turned out okay though. Also did the axe I polished off the paint on a couple of weeks back. That turned out great!
    But will try your tip later. But something tells me that this is for the shed...the smell must be horendous....lol
    Only if you get it past the simmer point! Lol

Made up some new base boards for bow drill set, couple of ivy and a couple of hazel just letting them dry out some more

Now off to work !

Dave

Took the todler todlin about in the woods as we've had a tremendous snow melt the last few days. And with the runt todling about, we did just go a few meters in, but found this :-)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2531.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	92.0 KB 
ID:	4493

Now all I have to do is make birch lye, and cook it in it...what a mess. Anyway, what part of the fungus is it that I actually use?
    In the picture is a couple of quartz rocks I also found...in my driveway.
    (Roald Amundsen)