Page 3 of 117 FirstFirst 1234567891011121353103 ... LastLast

Thread: My daily bushcraft

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianMike View Post
    Bandage again, eh? Let me guess, from the back edge of the hook knife? Been there, done that!
    I really should stay away from everything that is sharper than boiled spaghetti....
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

Tribal Elder
    Trying to decide what bit of kit I need to upgrade...

My jacket is a cheapy jacket that came with a waterproof suit long deceased...but it still works.

Crusader cooker and cup work well enough, real cooking kit would be nice though.

Thermal liner or inner bag to go with my buffalo 4s outer...but it works well enough (and I have a ton of sleeping bags...)

Looking at osprey exos 46 as its a kilo lighter than my snugpak rocketpak...again though the rocketpak works well enough...

Most likely upgrade is the bivi bag though, the alpkit hunka just didn't cut it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by FishyFolk View Post
    I really should stay away from everything that is sharper than boiled spaghetti....
    Is ok, nothing gets done if you don't try. Safe to say those sharp things that cut you like you.

Is funny, for the extreme sharpness of the knives I make, none have cut me, but my hook knife, cabinet scraper, bastard file, utility knife, etc. I haven't been so lucky with. Lol

I always wear a leather glove when working with the hook knives .. Saves getting blood on the wood yer working on

Cheers
    AL

Put together a fire kit containing:

1 Large "Army" lMF firesteel with striker
    10 cotton pads with petroleum gel inserted between the layers
    Matchbox in zip-lock bag ( my wife cant understand why I want to use "stone age" methods when we have lighters and matches, so thats for her use when we go out, she is cooking anyway)
    Small "1" ligther
    5 meters of hemp twine (cordage as well as tinder)
    2 pieces of quarts (substitute for flint)
    steel striker
    Small tin of petrolum gel (so that I can lube up when the banjo's start playing)
    2x 10cm pieces of Maya stick

Replaced the lanyard on the firesteel with hemp twine, and secured my steel strikker to the bag itself with half a meter of the same. So that is extra tinder, cordage as well.
    Seriously worried about losing that fire steel, as I have never seen one on sale here before or after I bought mine. So not so easy to replace.

Also need some char cloth and/or tinder fungus in the kit as well. And will add a small folding blade to it....
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Trapper
    Nice spoon.

and yes have also done that with the double sided hook knife - prefer the single sided for that reason - probably due to my beginner dabbling status!

Oh I've been reading Foxfire's book and sharpening my ringy zingy axe (don't know the model as was given it 2nd hand - but it makes a nice ringing sound).
    Last edited by Hushwing; 26-04-2012 at 11:46 PM. Reason: correct book title

Small tin of petrolum gel (so that I can lube up when the banjo's start playing)
    Xp

Yup...

Experimented some with the hemp twine. When fluffed up it will take a spark just as well as cotton balls/pads. Lights at first strike 9 out of 10 times. I think this will be my favourite
    tinder. Also soaked some in petroleum gel. But like cotton balls thats a messy affair. So I ended up just pushing half a meter of it into the gel tin, where it can stay to soak.
    Also wrapped a good length of the stuff around my knife sheet.
    (Roald Amundsen)

Tribal Elder
    Just booked some time off to head up the great glen way.... the atko will be making it's debut!