Page 114 of 117 FirstFirst ... 1464104105106107108109110111112113114115116117 LastLast
Results 1,131 to 1,140 of 1170

Thread: My daily bushcraft

Between Savernake forest and Avebury stone circle
    Quote Originally Posted by OakAshandThorn View Post
    The winter gods have smiled on us in the northeastern US....they have given my locale 33 cm of delightful, semi-fluffy snow yesterday
    Just to prove that New England weather can be very unpredictable, I should mention that on the day before, we had temperatures as high as 15 C. During the snowstorm, temps fell to -4 C during the day and -15 C at night, not accounting for the wind chill factor.

Of course, this gave me the opportunity to drive out to the western section of the Ives' Trail for a 6 mile trek with my winter pack load-out

Bennett's Pond Trail System is where I started out, at the southern end off of Bennett's Farm Rd. From there, I travelled north and then east until the trail curved back north, handrailing the south and western side of the pond. This area is managed by the Connecticut Department of Energy and Environmental Protection, as is Wooster Mtn State Park on the other end of the map.

The pond itself home to a small colony of beavers. Last time I counted over 12 lodges. With the high winds and snow, visibility was minimal, not unlike blizzard conditions.

From the north end of the pond, my course led me to the longer and easier way up Pine Mtn, the tallest ridge in southwestern Connecticut. Like almost all the other hills, Pine Mtn was carved out by the glaciers, giving it a distinctive north-south shape. By now the snow was getting too deep for my boots, so it was time to strap on my snowshoes.

Here's the bluff view on Pine Mtn. Not much to in the valley below LOL
    I had to keep moving to get out of the high winds, which were gusting to considerable force from the north. I eventually found a somewhat-sheltered location off-trail where I could stop for a rest break.

This is the flysheet from the Guide Gear tipi tent that sportsmansguide sold for a short time. It weighs a few ounces less than my DD 3x3. It takes 4-5 stakes, and it is solid, but the ventilation needs to be improved. The only vent is relatively small and does little to stop condensation buildup inside the shelter. Sometime I'd like to modify it with 3 more vents as well as a stove-jack so I can turn it into a hot-tent system.

The snow stopped around mid-afternoon after I packed up and headed back on the trail. When I reached Wooster Mtn State Park, I had to negotiate a 100 ft climb where the trail went straight up a rocky ledge, without any switchbacks, at a 60 degree angle. That took a lot of perseverance. After that, the trail was mostly downhill...thank the Stars!!!

The trip was only 6 miles, but it felt like more than 12 with the amount of energy I exerted. Snowshoeing in conditions like this can be a double-edged sword. If you're the only one out, you can revel the solitude....but then you are also the ONLY one who will pack down the trail. It's basically the same as going cross-country on snowshoes, and can be a great way to increase your endurance.
    Nice! How did I miss this?😒

I sometimes wish the weather would be as good as that down here...
    But 30° difference in 24 hours is extreme!

Good little bimble and photos. The snow looks awesome. Thanks for sharing 👍👍

Quote Originally Posted by Lonewolf44 View Post
    Yesterday I did my very first outdoor hike since many years. It was just few hours in terrain. Was walking around forests located 15 minutes from my living place. Its in city, but they're somehow sheltered - You don't see people or buildings and hear zero or very few traffic. Did some tinder gathering (birch bark and fungi), found used snares and tried to make a little campfire at the end to test my new aurora firesteel. It might be a great self efficient survival tool for stranded army pilots, but it is not by any means a handy way of making fire in bushcraft hikes. The striker is a joke and I've kept hitting my thumb, otherwise You can't put much pressure on the rod. I will either switch to Light My Fire or just carry a raw ferro rod, as using knife as a striker is much better in my opinion. Other thing I learned - there is no way to save cash on shoes. They need to be high quality and thats it, You can't walk around it like with buying Mora in the "knife world".

Cant wait until it gets warmer, I really want to do a proper overnight trip.
    Perseverance .
    Trial and errors are good learning curves .

With no mistakes and errors one becomes complacent and over confident... Keep it up bud . Youre doing fine.

Oh , and you're right about the boots and shoes thing too...👍

Quote Originally Posted by Ehecatl View Post
    Made it into the woods this weekend with dog too. It was classic hypothermia weather ...

Attachment 13821

I had a hammock set up on the ground under the parachute. The chute blocked a lot of the wind.

Attachment 13822

Benny went nuts when he got there and had a great time.

Attachment 13823
    M@
    Excellent.
    Sounds like you two had a great time!

Cool little parachute shelter thing that...
    Is it heavy ?
    Looks very versatile in the sense that you could easily just set it as a Lavvuu type of shelter ...Am I right?

Anyways,
    We missed Benny too 👍

Yeah, boots need to be high quallity. But you do not need the most expensive ones either.
    I now have the luxury of choosing between 2 pairs of boots. One is a pair I paid around £100 for. And they have been excellent in all ways.
    I.e good ancle support, easy to adjust, comfortable, warm and just the right size, i.e large enough on my foot to accomodate a thick pair of wool socks, yet small enough
    to just wear them with a thin pair of socks when it's summer.

The other pair is are my M-77 Norwegian army boots. Found them in a Salvation army store, hardly ever used by the look of them. These are very good, and they
    should have cost me around £150...I paid less than £15 is I do not remember wrong. WHat is great about them is that they are genuine army issue, and not the ones sold on the civillian market.
    (there is a mark under the sole that give this away), which means I can replace them at any army barracks whenever I please, as long as they remain the standard issue...virtually boots for life, hehe.
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    M@
    Excellent.
    Sounds like you two had a great time!

Cool little parachute shelter thing that...
    Is it heavy ?
    Looks very versatile in the sense that you could easily just set it as a Lavvuu type of shelter ...Am I right?

Anyways,
    We missed Benny too ��
    Hi Woody. When dry the chute is more bulky than heavy. When wet it doubles in weight. I consider it a "carry from car" item. The woodland where we stayed is relatively young (~ 20 years old) so there are few trees that are as tall as I'd like, otherwise I'd have got the top of the chute much higher and considered having a small fire in the middle.

The chute is as you say versatile and a great bit of kit for group meets. I think I got mine for about £50 from eBay including string. I appreciate that's not cheap but I've had it a few years now and so consider it a good investment.

Cheers,

M@
    "If you were to ask me what I consider to be my finest achievement, I could answer the question without hesitation: teaching." ~ Raymond Blanc.

Unless you have space, drying a wet chute is not easy.....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170213_115203_resized.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	94.0 KB 
ID:	13826
    "If you were to ask me what I consider to be my finest achievement, I could answer the question without hesitation: teaching." ~ Raymond Blanc.

Just recieved that cheap leather working set I ordered. The only thing I really needed in there is the needles and the thread :-)
    Anyway, started repeairing my knife sheath, buy completely dismantling it, and have sowed on the beltloop, and done 5 cm of stitching it all all back together and my fingers are
    knackered. So giving this a rest until tomorrow...lol
    It will take me days to do this, but okay, I am learninga new skill, but I doubt I will take it beyond repairing my own kit :-)
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

At least you'll have the satisfaction of carrying your knife, in it's sheath, repaired by you, job done

Yeah that is a satisfation I look forward to. I just forgot how much I hated stitching...back in my elementary school days, they forced this kind of thing on us...both sexes had to do needle work (as wella s wood work), and I hated needle work, lol
    I just cant muster the patience for it. But I will finish this :-)
    Now if I could just stop piercing the thread!
    AAAARGH!
    (Roald Amundsen)

Now that brings back bad memories, needlework at primary school

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk