Thread: My daily bushcraft

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Samuel Hearne
    Decided to try and sort out my garage out again and was going through a plastic foot locker and found that a mouse had made a hole in it and it had eaten some old note books an a small FAK that had some tablets in also it made a nest out of a field dressing and that was where I found the mouse dead and dried out (mummified), I have now taped the hole up but will find something better than black n nasty to make a better repair, when sorting some other stuff out I found about 200 rabbit wires that I had forgot about, I wont have to make anymore for a while, I have about 50 that I use quite often that have pegs attached.

starting to miss my days as a radio operator, so Ipurchased a couple of cheap chinese HT sets, which I need a Ham radio lisence to tx with. Songetting that too ��
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

Trapper
    Beautiful North Yorkshire Coast - love it
    Had another test of my lightweight DD hammock overnight I was convinced it was going to be glorious and dispensed with a tarp/sleeping bag/pad altogether. I was very smug walking along with a kit bag the size of a pencil case. Woke up at 4am soggy cold and miserable pleased I was close to home...
    On a planet that increasingly resembles one huge Maximum Security prison, the only intelligent choice is to plan a jail break.

Robert Anton Wilson

A year ago, I purchased a Cold Steel Trailhawk, had a look at it when it arrived, laughed, shook my head, but started on the project it was intended for: Making it look cool, and transforming it into
    something usefull.

Since I do not have anything I need to defend myself from on the island, I shortened the handle about 20 cm. And strated on removing the paint on the axe head itself. Man that was stubborn stuff, so I lost my patience. After all I looked at that tiny axe as a toy. So I dumped it in a corner of the shed and forgot about it. Until just now. Managed to get the paint off witrh lots of elbow grease and a power tool :-)

Oiled the handle, and managed to get it reasonable sharp with a belt grinder...so now it looks kind of cool, hanging on the wall in the shed...I got a Wetterlings hatchet, so that hawk will just be an ornament...
    Still good to have finished the job.

Also made a tape measure antenna for my VHF/UHF handset...and reading up for my HAM test, and we spent half the day on the beach with the wife and the runt . First shorts and t-shirt day this year...
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Quote Originally Posted by FishyFolk View Post
    A year ago, I purchased a Cold Steel Trailhawk, had a look at it when it arrived, laughed, shook my head, but started on the project it was intended for: Making it look cool, and transforming it into
    something usefull.

Since I do not have anything I need to defend myself from on the island, I shortened the handle about 20 cm. And strated on removing the paint on the axe head itself. Man that was stubborn stuff, so I lost my patience. After all I looked at that tiny axe as a toy. So I dumped it in a corner of the shed and forgot about it. Until just now. Managed to get the paint off witrh lots of elbow grease and a power tool :-)

Oiled the handle, and managed to get it reasonable sharp with a belt grinder...so now it looks kind of cool, hanging on the wall in the shed...I got a Wetterlings hatchet, so that hawk will just be an ornament...
    Still good to have finished the job.

Also made a tape measure antenna for my VHF/UHF handset...and reading up for my HAM test, and we spent half the day on the beach with the wife and the runt . First shorts and t-shirt day this year...
    Garsh, Rune....a can of paint and varnish stripper would have saved you that elbow grease
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin

Quote Originally Posted by OakAshandThorn View Post
    Garsh, Rune....a can of paint and varnish stripper would have saved you that elbow grease
    I tried 2 different brands, none of them worked...but now a year later I was able to reamove it all quite easilly....with a power tool, ha ha
    (Roald Amundsen)

Made many cups of kelly kettle tea with the daughter (she's four now and always wants to be outside making "garden tea!"), made fire with flint and steel, made another fire with a magnifying glass, made some more char cloth, practiced with my catty, found some rabbit snares, practiced casting with a hand line and still found time to walk the dog.

Tomorrows mission is to take the daughter to Saltburn for a ride on the funicular and make sandcastles and cook sausages on the Cobb cooker, although the real mission is to scout the opportunities to be had for feathering for mackerel off the pier and maybe to detour via Skinningrove to see about the possibilities of launching my RIB there.

Just discovered a sanding machine ammong the tools I got after my grandfather. And found it excellent tool to sharpen axes with, so know all my old hatchets are all nice and shiny, and sharp. They had been somewhat neglected since I got the Hultafors and the Wetterlings axe, since those two covers all my axe needs....by the way, I made a count of axes. I got one full size felling axe, 4 hatchets, and 1 Tomahawk....I think I have enough to make it trough the Zombie plague....
    (Roald Amundsen)

Quote Originally Posted by FishyFolk View Post
    Just discovered a sanding machine ammong the tools I got after my grandfather. And found it excellent tool to sharpen axes with, so know all my old hatchets are all nice and shiny, and sharp. They had been somewhat neglected since I got the Hultafors and the Wetterlings axe, since those two covers all my axe needs....by the way, I made a count of axes. I got one full size felling axe, 4 hatchets, and 1 Tomahawk....I think I have enough to make it trough the Zombie plague....
    Dang Rune, the frozen zombies won't stand a chance LOLOL
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin

Made a couple of drawstring bags from an old pair of jeans to keep my cooking pots in. Had a wander to the local woods, unsuccessfully tried making fire with a now and drill (working against failing light didn't help) so brewed up on the trangia and sat in the hammock until dark listening to the sounds and watching the mighty river Tees drift by! Brought the drill and hearth home to try and work out why I was unsuccessful last night.