Page 116 of 117 FirstFirst ... 1666106107108109110111112113114115116117 LastLast
Results 1,151 to 1,160 of 1170

Thread: My daily bushcraft

  1. #1151
    Woodsman Pootle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Kernow
    Posts
    512
    Haha. But a kitchen is of finite size. An excess of spoons means less room for other stuff. Like knives for example.

  2. #1152
    Natural Born Bushcrafter Woody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Between Savernake forest and Avebury stone circle
    Posts
    836
    Quote Originally Posted by Pootle View Post
    Haha. But a kitchen is of finite size. An excess of spoons means less room for other stuff. Like knives for example.
    That is a tough choice ...Knives or wonky spoons? ....

    I think I'd have to get rid of the pans and just use one billy can...😂

  3. #1153
    Ent FishyFolk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Harstad, Norway
    Posts
    3,542
    Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    That is a tough choice ...Knives or wonky spoons? ....

    I think I'd have to get rid of the pans and just use one billy can...��
    Knives of course...including the spoon knife :-)
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

    Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

  4. #1154
    Ent FishyFolk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Harstad, Norway
    Posts
    3,542
    Starting to take an interest again as spring progress, even if today has a bitterly cold northern wind, and snow is expected :-(

    But as I managed to clean out the shed last weekend, I had room to play in there, so I made an attempt at making a soda-can stove. Which failed as it
    ripped open when I pressed the two halves together. But I fired it up and it sort of worked, and I used it to make some char cloth, with a wide eyed 6 year old in attendance!
    His eyes nearly popped out when I showed how to make fire with flint and steel, so I think the two of us will have a grand summer ahead of us :-)
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

    Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

  5. #1155
    Natural Born Bushcrafter Woody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Between Savernake forest and Avebury stone circle
    Posts
    836
    It's a great feeling!
    Good on you Rune.
    We'll soon be seeing a trip report of the little dude's first primitive fire!! 👍👍

    Magik

    Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

  6. #1156
    Quote Originally Posted by FishyFolk View Post
    Starting to take an interest again as spring progress, even if today has a bitterly cold northern wind, and snow is expected :-(

    But as I managed to clean out the shed last weekend, I had room to play in there, so I made an attempt at making a soda-can stove. Which failed as it
    ripped open when I pressed the two halves together. But I fired it up and it sort of worked, and I used it to make some char cloth, with a wide eyed 6 year old in attendance!
    His eyes nearly popped out when I showed how to make fire with flint and steel, so I think the two of us will have a grand summer ahead of us :-)
    re soda can stoves - short tin (soda) and a tall tin (cider/energy drink) they have maybe .2 mm size difference which makes them far easier to slot together.

    you can also make a cloth charrer (made up word) in a similar way take the base off one small can to use as a lid for the taller can with the ring pull end cut off, warm it up then press it together to bake the contents.

    My missus is still an explorer scout leader and I was gobsmacked when she asked me on sunday if I could teach her how to do it so she can teach the kids. they asked her if she would which astounded me considering all she does is complain how they are always glued to their phones.

    as to fire why not, I was a cub scout in my youth and was quite shocked when i became a leader to 11-21 year olds at how little they knew in barely a generation. I was teaching them what I considered cub skills not scout ones. its even worse here now.

    I used to light the coal fire at home when I was about 5 or 6 for my mum and baby brother, the perceived fear we put on our children today is shameful.
    Last edited by crazydave; 16-05-2017 at 03:04 AM.

  7. #1157
    Ent FishyFolk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Harstad, Norway
    Posts
    3,542
    Quote Originally Posted by crazydave View Post
    re soda can stoves - short tin (soda) and a tall tin (cider/energy drink) they have maybe .2 mm size difference which makes them far easier to slot together.

    you can also make a cloth charrer (made up word) in a similar way take the base off one small can to use as a lid for the taller can with the ring pull end cut off, warm it up then press it together to bake the contents.

    My missus is still an explorer scout leader and I was gobsmacked when she asked me on sunday if I could teach her how to do it so she can teach the kids. they asked her if she would which astounded me considering all she does is complain how they are always glued to their phones.

    as to fire why not, I was a cub scout in my youth and was quite shocked when i became a leader to 11-21 year olds at how little they knew in barely a generation. I was teaching them what I considered cub skills not scout ones. its even worse here now.

    I used to light the coal fire at home when I was about 5 or 6 for my mum and baby brother, the perceived fear we put on our children today is shameful.
    I use an old sho shine cream tin for charring cloth :-)
    Yes the kids these days are being let down big time on learning basic life skills, due to an over protecting society. Let the kids earn their bruises. My isx year old was given his own knife at age four but traine on using them from age 1...and know how to build a fire using matches or a lighter. He has got his own bow and arrows, a slingshot and his own set of darts to train his eye hand coordination. he goes on his own bicycle (his third set of wheels now) all over the neigbourhood as he pleases on it, discovering the world, and last night at curfew I had to pluck him down from a 7 meter tall birch tree....lol
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

    Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

  8. #1158
    Ranger Ehecatl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in Kent
    Posts
    2,038
    Quote Originally Posted by FishyFolk View Post
    and last night at curfew I had to pluck him down from a 7 meter tall birch tree....lol
    "If you were to ask me what I consider to be my finest achievement, I could answer the question without hesitation: teaching." ~ Raymond Blanc.

  9. #1159
    Ent FishyFolk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Harstad, Norway
    Posts
    3,542
    Quote Originally Posted by Ehecatl View Post
    He was seriously resisting arrest, I tell you!
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

    Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

  10. #1160
    Quote Originally Posted by FishyFolk View Post
    and last night at curfew I had to pluck him down from a 7 meter tall birch tree....lol
    so at least one of you will survive the next moose then.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •