Page 36 of 117 FirstFirst ... 26272829303132333435363738394041424344454686 ... LastLast

Thread: My daily bushcraft

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianRose View Post
    Oh how sad am I. The weather here is appalling.
    We got to camp, got set up, collected some firewood and lit the fire.
    I cooked my famous venison casserole.

We all got p!55 wet through!!

The forecast is for lots more rain, so we took the decision to cancel the weekend.

Ade
    Thats sad, but mother nature is the ultimate boss...
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

Awwww such a shame but thats life. Full of disappointments! Mother nature can be such a b*tch at times. I've had my sky dive cancelled too

Thanks ladies and gents. As nature would have it, it's lovely and sunny this morning however the forecast is for more rain.

Oh well, mother nature wins again.

Ade.

Always another weekend Ade Aberdeen got hit by flash floods yesterday with all the rain we got yesterday.

Cheers
    AL
    The world is big and I want to have a good look at it before it gets dark.
    JOHN MUIR

During my week exploring Dartmoor, when it was lashing down, which was every other day, one of my fellow travellers would chirp up

"There is no such thing as poor weather, just poor preparation"

And to a point they were right.

But on the worst day, when even walking was a bad idea, I spent some of my time huddled under my basha, whittling a sharp stick and threatened to poke them with it if they said it again (and again and again).

It is a shame that trips have been cancelled this weekend, but as it is a bank holiday, it may have been a case of your enthusiasm to get out doors leading to undue optimism that this would be the one bank holiday this year, where we actually get not bad weather.

I bet one British pound that next week, when folks are back in work and/or unable to get away, it will be ideal weather for camping out in.

Mother Nature is quite contrary.
    Ansum La

Quote Originally Posted by Kernowek Scouser View Post
    During my week exploring Dartmoor, when it was lashing down, which was every other day, one of my fellow travellers would chirp up

"There is no such thing as poor weather, just poor preparation"

And to a point they were right.

But on the worst day, when even walking was a bad idea, I spent some of my time huddled under my basha, whittling a sharp stick and threatened to poke them with it if they said it again (and again and again).

It is a shame that trips have been cancelled this weekend, but as it is a bank holiday, it may have been a case of your enthusiasm to get out doors leading to undue optimism that this would be the one bank holiday this year, where we actually get not bad weather.

I bet one British pound that next week, when folks are back in work and/or unable to get away, it will be ideal weather for camping out in.

Mother Nature is quite contrary.
    Absolutely true there brother. I think your shiny British pound is safe. One the bank holiday has gone the sun is sure to come back.

You are a braver man than me being on Dartmoor in that weather. Hats off to you sir.

Ade.

Just found out that the bottle cap with bite valve for my 16oz Camelbak bottles fits my new 32 Oz Nalgene bottle perfectly. And since the Nalgene bottle is wider than the Camelbak bottles, the straw goes all the way to the bottom. So i guess I either have to canibalize a camelbak bottle, or order and extra cap :-)
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Well I honestly had a great time yesterday sure I was soaked to the bone and my tarp is laughing at my as it hangs on my washing line drying in the sun as we speak, but I was fortunate enough to be in one of my favourite places the outdoors with great company even if for only a couple of hours, and I took away loads of positives I lit a fire in all that gash rain! Oh and I got to eat two yes TWO bowls of Ades venison casserole which I recommend to anyone!!! Brilliant day all round!

Danny

Lesson learned: My flexi-fuel when burning parraffin uses approx the same ammount of meths to preheat the fuel pipe, as I normally would use to heat a mug of brew with my meths burner. So that one is a waste of space as long as the temps are warm enough for meths to be a practical fuel. But if it gets that cold I would not be able to use meths to preheat the thing anyway. Well, well, the use instructions for the flexi-fuel says to use parffin for preheating, but that just soots up everything, and increase the risk of a clogged fuel nozzle rendering it useless.

But nice practice session with the little beast anyway. I do not use it often, so when I really need it it's nice to have the practice in.

The above about meths in the cold problem is this. They get really cumbersome to light in a container like a meths burner or the pre-heating pan of a paraffin burner when it's deep cold, as it is really the fumes from it that burns, not the liquid itself. At least thats how I have understood it. The trick then is to heat up the liquid. You only need to heat up the top layer. But a match is to small, and with a ligher you risk burning your fingers. What I do in the cold is to dip a stick in the meths, and light that with a ligher. And then I stick the burning stick into the meths. That will heat up the surface of the meths enough to give off more vapour and it will light.

Winter is coming...
    (Roald Amundsen)

Made anouther drawstring bag from an old denim pants leg to keep all my whitling knives and collapsible saw in when not in use. They where all over the place in the shed.
    Also makes it easier to just grab that one if I decide to bring them with me into the hills one day.

Content:
    Mora Frost 120
    Mora spoon knife
    Mora of Sweden 711 carbon
    Mora of Sweden 2000 stainless steel
    Brandless folding saw

To heavy package really so will probably end up with less in it when I really go out. But have a plan for that :-)
    Also have to figure out some kidn of sheath or pouch for the spoon knife...I guess my roll of gaffa tape may be pressed into service again in combination with a plastic bottle....
    (Roald Amundsen)