Page 92 of 117 FirstFirst ... 42828384858687888990919293949596979899100101102 ... LastLast

Thread: My daily bushcraft

Trapper
    Quote Originally Posted by AdrianRose View Post
    Actually mate, I gave it to Freedom Phil of this forum as he was with us on the day and he has a great passion for foraging.

Ade
    I sliced the mushroom up, cooked it in little milk and scambled some eggs. Excellent start to my day.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeWilkinson View Post
    I learnt how to tell the time using the stars this evening. That and made a roll mat out of rosebay willow herb on a camp loom.
    I see your material list is expanding,lol
    Ne te confundant illigitimi It is always a pleasure to see what you can make !, instead of buying it ready made. R Proenneke.

When I first tested my second hand (one previous owner) Optimus 111T , it burned with a bright yellow flame...bummer. But no leaks of any kind. And all gaskets are sound (but will replace them all just so that I know when that was done)

So finding the reason for the yellow flame:

1. Could be too much pressure in the tank, or that I did not pre-heat it enough. So I snuffed it out, waited for it to cool down and re-heated. Since this is the silent burner type, it is also important that the pre-heating flame is out before lighting the main fuel with a lighter or match. Or you risk under burn which will ruin the inner and outer burner cap, resulting in a yellow flame... - No result, flame still yellow. A boil test told me there was no sooting? But bouil time for 0,7 litres of cold water was 13 minutes!

2. Dirt and soot. cleaned the burner with carburator cleaner. The inner burner cap had some kind of red residue in it (not rust). Got most of that out. The jet had some soot in it.
    Result: The flame is now blue with streaks of yellow. Boil time 0,7 litres of water: 11 minutes.

3. The stove came with parafine in it. Dumped that and flushed the tank with denateured alcohol. Filled with parrafine based lighter fluid. Burn at least a thank. Been watching the flame turn more and more blue as the evening progresses....

Tomorrow. More cleaning of the whole thing with a witch brew consiting of: 2 tea spoos of citric acid, dish washing fluid and hot water. That should clean up the last yellow streaks and give me a more effective flame.

But that I had a compeletly yellow flame witrh no sooting has me quite stumped...
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

Yellow flame and no soot is normally due to fuel, which you seem to have started to correct in point 3
    Jack of all trades-Master of none

Savage Bushcraft YouTube channel

My struggle is crowned with victory!

It was the magic witch brew cosnisting of boiling hot water, a spoon of Zalo (our magic dish washing liquid that will clean all man made objects on earth), and 2 tea spoons of citric acid powder that did the trick.
    Just remember to fish any brass out of the brew if they start to turn red.

Anyway, gave every part a good clean, flushed the tank out again with denatured alcohol, and for good meassure, pumped pressure and opened the valve and let it squirt out for a good minute to flush out the jet.

Then filled with charcoal lighter fluid (parafine based) fired it up, and...

RESULT!!

And here is the before...

Oh and 0,7 litres of water now boils in 5 minutes, wich is within the accepted norm for the 111 stoves :-)

Not bad, have not taken one of these appart since I was a recruit in the army in 1989...
    And just heard that the Norwegian army is purchasing these again, as the modern stoves they have had for a few years
    cant hold up to the abuse the army gives them :-)
    Last edited by FishyFolk; 07-11-2013 at 06:53 PM.
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Nice work my friend. Proof that a little effort can make all the difference
    Jack of all trades-Master of none

Savage Bushcraft YouTube channel

Congratulations on your hard work! Looks like a brilliant bit of kit and a pleasure to use.

Natural Born Bushcrafter MikeWilkinson's Avatar
    Practiced my star clock this evening. Got the time to within 4 mins of actual time. Incredibly chuffed with myself. Still struggling with lunar navigation though. Can't quite remember all the steps. Will keep trying though.
    [SIZE=4][COLOR=#8b4513]Wake me up when things are over, and I'm Wiser and older.

Went for a long walk with new camera in hand (Santa came early) and happy with the result....

Continued work on the Optimus 111 in the weekend.

The previous owner had not maintained it quite right. He did mention there had been a leak around the spindle that controls the fuel flow. Normaly that indicates that the graphite gasket is broken.
    An indication of that was the the spindle itself was twised around it's own axis for half a turn!

Luckilly all the parts needed was ammong the spare parts Norwegian Bushcraft had sent me.

I also wanted to replace the jet with a multifuel jet and change the needle while I ewas at it it. Just to have those parts new and shiny too :-)

To replace the spindle, I had to remove the Jet and the needøle anyway. Sp here is how iit's done.

1. I unscrewed the jet and removed it from the burner.
    2. By turning the spindle counter clock wise the needle comes up. Then I lifted it off too with a pair of needle nosed pliers.
    3. Now I can unscrew the spindle. When it is off the threads it may be a little sticky to get out. This is when graphite gaskets are often destroyed. Mine was mainly powder anyway. Only 2 mm of the gasket remained!

Now it was just a matter cleaning and of replacing everything justr like it was. The tricky part is the needle.

1. Screw the spindle with the new gasket in to the bottom. (clockwise).
    2. I fixed the needle to a q-tip and plcaed it so that the teeth connced with the teeth of the spindle.
    3. Turn the spindle so that you see the needle jump 3 times (some prefer 4 times) counter clockwise. Then turn the spindle clockwise to see the needle retract into the burner until the spindle stops.
    4 replace the jet.
    5. Turn trhe spindle counter clockwise until it stops to see the needle protude out of the jet. Carefull now as if it is not corrctly set or bent, and don't hit the jet hole, it may break.

A test burn...no joy.
    I got an instant underburn. Some testing revelaed that the jet marked "M" had to be the cuplrit. It did not burn right with my fuel. When I reverted to the original jet it burned fine. So for me having the right jet is crucial. I do not have any spares so I guess some testing of spares I buy will be in order, to ensure I can replace a lost jet in the hills if I drop it in the snow during field maintenance.

So that is that lesson learned. Fetling stoves is fun :-)
    (Roald Amundsen)