Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alone in the Wilderness Part 2 - Dick Proenneke - Alaska Log Cabin

NaturalBushcraft Founder Ashley Cawley's Avatar

Thumbs up Alone in the Wilderness Part 2 - Dick Proenneke - Alaska Log Cabin

I can't believe but I've just discovered there is a "Alone in the Wilderness - Part 2" DVD that has just been released this year!

I wasn't expecting another Dick Proenneke film at all, as we know Dick is dead and gone but his beautiful story, cabin and memories live on. If you need a quick introduction to who Dick Proenneke is...
    ---------------------------------------------------

Dick Proenneke (1916-2003) was a truly amazing man. An inspiration and a character to be remembered. This man lived what many of us only dream about; living in the wild building your own log-cabin home in the beauty of Alaska, being self-reliant and able to live happily with nature... Click Here for the full article.

---------------------------------------------------

So if you've seen the first film "Alone in the Wilderness" you've probably enjoyed Dick's story, such a relaxing and enjoyable watch. The first film was the best in my opinion, with the second (Silence and Solitude) and third (The Frozen North) a little weaker than the first but still enjoyable.

I've read reviews from people who thought the 2nd and 3rd films were just an attempt to monetise off the success of the first one, I don't know about that but I do know those same critics said that this Alone in the Wilderness Part 2 was better than the 2nd/3rd films, including more footage of Dick actually making things like spoons and his second miniature cabin on stilts (his bear proof fridge!)

I haven't watched this film yet, but I do have it! Just about to watch it now.

Have any of you seen it?
    Ashley Cawley

Youtube | Forum | Twitter | Flickr
    Leave No Trace

I will have to see that or get a copy
    CLAP clearly loudly, as an order, with pauses

Thumbs up Alone in the Wilderness Part II Video Clip

Here is a copy from Alone in the Wilderness Part II (new for 2011)

The Official website is: http://www.dickproenneke.com/
    Ashley Cawley

Leave No Trace

Natural Born Bushcrafter luresalive's Avatar
    And where can we get a full copy from?

WHERE can you buy it ?
    bacon on the fire

Quote Originally Posted by landrovermatt View Post
    WHERE can you buy it ?
    There's a link in my post a couple back, but you might want to wait, I may have some news on it very soon. Right I'm off to watch!
    Ashley Cawley

Leave No Trace

Trapper
    Great film, fantastic book. You can download the second part of his diaries somewhere - the more readings in the link on his wikipedia page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Proenneke,
    There are also some good articles on the old outdoors magazine forum - index here http://www.oldjimbo.com/Outdoors-Magazine/
    The videos are great - watching some artistry with a double bit axe and a true craftsman caring for his tools.

Thumbs up Superb Film!

So I've just finished watching 'Alone in the Wilderness Part II' and it was absolutely superb. Felt like an even more intimate account of Dick's life and adventures, more travelling, canoeing & hiking, more building, crafts, fishing, nature, gold-panning and more.

I'd say it's better than the 2nd & 3rd film in the series, a nice continuation of the first film, relaxing to watch as always.

Would highly recommend.

Ashley Cawley

Leave No Trace

Natural Born Bushcrafter MikeWilkinson's Avatar
    Thanks for posting that Ashley. I have the first one, which I've just watched again after seeing this. The 2nd looks very interesting I will have to invest I think!
    [SIZE=4][COLOR=#8b4513]Wake me up when things are over, and I'm Wiser and older.

alright thank you
    When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.”
    ― John Muir