Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: My "Brew in The Woods" Kit

My "Brew in The Woods" Kit

Hey all, While out for a brew in Ladock woods I emptied out my Snugpak response bag and got a snapshot of the contents. This pack goes everywhere with me and depending on what I'm doing and how long I'm out for I complement it with one of 2 backpacks. For yesterdays jaunt with the kids I took my Gelert Nero 18 which contained my Camelbak, waterproof jacket, Kneepads, foil/green ripstop groundsheet, a pack of snackajacks and that all important pasty!
    So heres the pic of my brew bag

My kit for a day in the woods by roadkillphil, on Flickr

And here's the list...

On the outside of the bag:
    -A North face camera pouch that normally secures the head of my axe
    -A Paramedics tool holster containing bahco laplander, lipsalve, surgical needle (splinter removal) and soon my new folding pocket saw (under construction from a jigsaw blade and piece of oak, used for carving projects)
    -Flexcut Carvin jack
    -Gerber multitool, not sure on model. Also contains a pencil in this pouch.
    -Petzl E-Lite, a great waterproof camp headtorch with built in whistle.... nifty kit
    -A couple of handy Krabs

In the main compartment:
    -Honey stove
    -First aid kit containing large dressing, cut to size plaster roll, steristrips, alcohol wipes, suture set, ibuprofen, paracetamol
    -granola bars
    -chocolate
    -Tibetan 1100 Ti billy containing whitebox stove, windbreak, meths, teabags, 3in1 coffee sachets, sweetner, woodspirit spoon, billy hanger cable

In the front pouch:
    -Source colapsable water bottle for dirty water collection
    -Millbank bag to filter said dirty water

In the left side pouch:
    -Paracord
    -Binoculars

In the right side pouch:
    -Fire kit, containing tinderbox (birchbark, tindercard, dry lint), a mayastick (cheers Ash ), cotten wool, LMF firesteel/whistle, Blueflame lighter and a DD hammock bag for kindling collection.

On my person a carry my peasant Svord as a neck knife and I have my Shemagh, Barbour 100% wool fingerless gloves and possum fur/merino wool hat.

Obviously this kit evolves contiuously, but this is what I usually take out with me when playing in the woods.

Thanks for looking

Phil
    Storms have a way of teaching what nothing else can.

ALWAYS Leave a Trace

Good mix of kit items there Phil, I never seem to take the same bits two trips running and still end up with too much...!

I like the idea of using a camera bag to secure the head of an axe, I think I'll try that.

Thanks for sharing.
    Don't sweat the small stuff - and it's ALL small stuff...!

Quote Originally Posted by paul standley View Post
    I like the idea of using a camera bag to secure the head of an axe, I think I'll try that.

Thanks for sharing.
    Cheers Paul. The camera case is one that is designed to go on a bergan shoulder strap. So rather than a belt loop, it has a snap loop at the top to attach to the shoulder strap "D" loops and a horizontal strap at the bottom to wrap round the shoulder strap. So with this rig I turn the pouch on its side, have the normally horizontal strap round the waist belt of the Response Pak and the snaplock on one of the loops on the side pouch..... Slot the axe head in and do up the strap and the axe handle hangs nicely downwards.... Kinda makes me feel like batman tho having all my tools on my waist!!!

ALWAYS Leave a Trace

It always amazes me just how much gear will fit in one of those Response Packs. I have one myself that used to carry my bits and peices for when out and about. The problem I found was that it became a bit too small for the additional bits needed for Scout evenings so ended up migrating to a day sack. Now that I have the Honey Stove and set it up the way I wanted I think the Response Pack will come back out of retirement. The Stove travels with me on my daily trips to various sites, makes me coffee and hot chocolate as well as a hot snack now these days are getting colder and the Pack will make an ideal grab bag with everything in.

I do like your kit list there Phil, just got to get me the Ti mug to finish the cook system off.

cool kit mate

Quote Originally Posted by jus_young View Post

I do like your kit list there Phil, just got to get me the Ti mug to finish the cook system off.
    Haha! The Ti mug is ace, Martin and Matt both use one and after seeing theirs in action on the 8 items challenge I couldn't resist! It's great that my entire brew kit including stove and meths fit in it.

I remember seeing your response pak at the RV, 's where I first thought about getting one. I love using it in combo with my 18L pack but with my 35L overnight/weekend bag it clips onto the side.

Even with all this kit there is still room for more! It's like a mini TARDIS!!

All the best

Phil

ALWAYS Leave a Trace

Looks like a very sensible and well thought through kit.

The only things I would add would be liquid hand sanitizer, toilet paper and a small trowel.

Cheers Jakob, just added the toilet paper and sanitizer.... I'm not a big fan of using dock leaves!!

ALWAYS Leave a Trace

Some good bits there, never seen a response pack in the flesh yet, wondered about them though.
    I've got the usual stuff in my rucksack, Waterproof jacket
    a few energy bars, bottled water a few plasters and pain killers, pruning saw, flannel, SAK. Instead of the sanitizer - toilet paper I have a resealable pack of tea tree wet wipes. After a bimble last week, quite a bit of it is covered in fruit cocktail and syrup after it burst when I sat on my pack for a tea break. Time to add a small plastic camo tarp I reckon.
    Last edited by Woodwose; 12-12-2011 at 09:49 AM. Reason: missed a word or two out

The response bags are a good bit of kit for the price. Maxpedition gear would do a similar job but at three or four times the price, no brainer really.

I carry the sanitiser in mine but the trowel is in the day sack that normaly comes out as it has me food in