Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommendations for sleeping mats please

Recommendations for sleeping mats please

I know this is a topic that has come up before but please bear with me.

I am looking at having to do some ground dwelling again with Scout camps as the trees are not guaranteed for the hammock. I currently have an Ultralight self inflating mat but end up pretty much unable to walk in the morning and end up with the Scouts laughing at me as I crawl out of the tent in agony. After a ridiculous routine of realignment excersises my discs are back in place and off I go again!

Rather than continue with this embarrassing old man routine I have decided to invest in a thicker and somewhat more luxurious mat that may well get used in the hammock as well so I would like some ideas on what you use and why. I know of recent discussions on the Exped Downmats and these seem to be pretty good but what other mats are available in the 2m ish length range that pack up nice and small but with good insulating properties?

Suggestions would be much appreciated.

Samuel Hearne
    Try the ex army inflatable roll mats i used to have one when i was in we were issued with them for the Falklands they were quite thick when inflated and about 6 foot in length, otherwise why not get a camp cot then place a roll mat on top, thats if you dont have to keep moving around with all your kit.

Thanks Ian, I will have a look at ex army mats. Any form of camp beds are definitely out of the question though as I use a Banshee 2. I would end up kissing the top of the tent!

As I class this as one of my long term investments, there is no budget limitation either, it will be a case of work to get the funds for the right product. Sometimes, however, I get it the wrong way round and buy the must have item before I have saved up the pennies which makes life a little interesting at home

Talland Bay.. An pleg-mor Kernewek hag a wra kovyow
    This mat is nearly 3 inches thick.. http://www.alpkit.com/sleeping-mats
    orrrrrrrrrrrr..
    How about a bed, like the carp anglers use.. http://www.poingdestres.co.uk/6044/F...Fe_MtAod4TAAmQ

Ahh, just seen yer last post.. Forget the bed

This is why I need a prompt every now and again! I have the Alpkit site on my favourites list but keep missing it for some reason. I did this when I bought my down sleeping bag, bought Rab at Go Outdoors when I had spent ages looking at the Alpkit ones but soon forgot them

Time to have a good look I think, cheers Jonny.

There is of course also the Exped Synmat range - slightly less insulative for about 3/4 the price of the Downmats
    I'd rather a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy

I've got one of those ex army thrmarests (you can pick them up for £10-£20 online) and they are pretty good, used in a tent or in a hammock.

I've also got one of these

It weighs in at just over 9kg and packs down to the size of a traffic bollard, so it fails in being both light and small, but if you don't have to carry it on your back all day, it ain't half comfy
    Ansum La

Quote Originally Posted by Kernowek Scouser View Post
    I've got one of those ex army thrmarests (you can pick them up for £10-£20 online) and they are pretty good, used in a tent or in a hammock.

I've also got one of these

It weighs in at just over 9kg and packs down to the size of a traffic bollard, so it fails in being both light and small, but if you don't have to carry it on your back all day, it ain't half comfy
    They carry a hell of a lot of kit, them Polish soldiers.

I believe a fully kitted up Polish infantryman is pretty unstoppable when attacking down a hill. Not so good in any other battlefield scenario, but down a hill, up there with the best of them
    Ansum La

Quote Originally Posted by Kernowek Scouser View Post
    I believe a fully kitted up Polish infantryman is pretty unstoppable when attacking down a hill. Not so good in any other battlefield scenario, but down a hill, up there with the best of them
    Does he roll down the hill n crush the enemy..?