Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: One man tent - Mil-Tec Recon

Natural Born Bushcrafter saxonaxe's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kev fitzpatrick View Post
    Just a quick post to say I'm off out at the end of this month for a two nighter and will be taking my Mil tec for its first run out. I'll let you know how i get on.

Kev
    I've been using my Mil-Tec Recon for some time now and I've found that for the purpose to which I put it, it's perfect.
    I wouldn't carry it on a long trek where it's weight would mean I might have to sacrifice rations etc: but on the overnight or two night walks on the High Downs, weight is not crucial. Just looked in the Journal and so far I've only spent 13 nights in it, but so far so good
    As it was yet another fine warm day today I took the opportunity to give it a Fabsil spray, not that it needed it as I've found it to be totally waterproof in quite wet/windy conditions. It's just that like others I've had care of kit battered into me.. so the occasional waterproof treatment gets carried out. Rigged it up in the boatyard where it could dry in the sun.

Rear view

Front view..open

Inner..without flysheet. Those big mesh panels seem to prevent any condensation problems and I've used the tent in February in frosty conditions.

I'm 5' 10" regular build, and find it easily big enough. I stow my day-pack in it's waterproof cover under the ' Porch' by the opening..
    I admit to an attitude to kit that says..If it works for me, it's good kit and price or brand name means nothing. For it's role.. I'm happy with the Mil-Tec..

Nice. Can it be used with just the outer?

M@
    "If you were to ask me what I consider to be my finest achievement, I could answer the question without hesitation: teaching." ~ Raymond Blanc.

Natural Born Bushcrafter saxonaxe's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ehecatl View Post
    Nice. Can it be used with just the outer?

M@
    Good question.. It's not designed to be adaptable as you'll notice the two main support 'poles' run through tunnels on the inner and fit into eyelets at ground level which keeps them arched under tension. So you would need to..

A) Secure the two poles in the cross configuration and either poke them into the ground or fit a little eyelet or tab that you could stick a peg through.

B) Where the poles cross you could just lash them together. The pole that goes over the main two is held by attachments fitted to the inner, so you would have to secure the cross pole to the other two, otherwise it would just fall over, then you could throw the outer fly over the frame of poles.

C) Basically you would need to find a way to hold the poles in a framework to support the outer, because the frame as it is depends on the inner tent to support and hold it in position.
    Probably cheaper to buy a Flectarn Tarp and some fibreglass poles and make your own single skin rig.

Thanks. I wondered (form the photos) if that was the case. An "outer only" rig would be great for the summer and also less weight. If I'm really honest with myself, we have more than enough tents already though.

Cheers,

M@
    "If you were to ask me what I consider to be my finest achievement, I could answer the question without hesitation: teaching." ~ Raymond Blanc.