Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Jakob's "Pedersen Wood Wasp"

Adam,couple of things, don't mean to rude but whats the thinking behind the "teeth" on the tang? secondly I do think it looks a little weak around the first hole. Please don't think I'm criticising, just took one look at the design and thought it looked a little odd ( to me ). Sorry if I have offended in any way. Paul

The teeth are purely decorative, they are meant to resemble the cogs of a cogwheel. The handle will allign with the top of the teeth. This should, together with yellow/black micharta scales, give the knife a nice industrial/dieselpunk look.

The blade and tang is 4 mm thick, that ought to hold up just fine.

Oh now I see Jakob,didn't realise it what so quite thick, now you have explained it I understand the thinking behind it, yeh I like the industrial thing. Ever thought about maybe using carbon fibre for the scales? with titanium pins? ( I work with titanium on a daily basis and would gladly donante some to the project). Paul

The pins will be carbon fibre

Thank you for your offer, but I am not really a fan of the feel of titanium.

What he said lol. Thinking of putting a slightly smaller brass tube, inside the carbon tubes. I think the "yellow" of the brass next to the black carbon, would match the scales quite well. Will make a few pins up to see what they look like first though.
    Jack of all trades-Master of none

Savage Bushcraft YouTube channel

No problem jakob, the only problem with using carbon as pins is that you wont be able to swell them like a rivet and also carbon looks best when veiwed along the grain rather than end on. Oh if anyone does fancy some titanium (or stainless ) pins let me know, no charge, just postage. Paul

Quote Originally Posted by crazysaint222 View Post
    What he said lol. Thinking of putting a slightly smaller brass tube, inside the carbon tubes. I think the "yellow" of the brass next to the black carbon, would match the scales quite well. Will make a few pins up to see what they look like first though.
    I like that idea

Paul straight bar or pins in handles are mostly for decoration,if you are going to bolt them you use Loveless,Corby,or Acorn bolts on handle scales........ and epoxy.

Quote Originally Posted by paulthefish2009 View Post
    No problem jakob, the only problem with using carbon as pins is that you wont be able to swell them like a rivet and also carbon looks best when veiwed along the grain rather than end on. Oh if anyone does fancy some titanium (or stainless ) pins let me know, no charge, just postage. Paul
    Hmmmm, what diameter and lengths? I might just take you up on that.

Quote Originally Posted by paulthefish2009 View Post
    Pins don't need swelling. I've never done that with any of mine. The best/neatest way to ensure a good/firm hold, is to cut tiny nicks along the length of the pins (across the narrow way ). This allows the resin to "bite" and hold everything together
    Jack of all trades-Master of none

Savage Bushcraft YouTube channel